It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:15 am 

ZombieGranny wrote:
Is there a thread somewhere discussing cattail management?

If you're growing your own, depending on what area you're in you're going to have to be extremely diligent about getting rid of or preventing the establishment of Phragmites. Phragmites will beat cattails up and take their lunch money, and they're very difficult to get rid of once they become established in wetlands or shoreline.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:22 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Flex wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:
Is there a thread somewhere discussing cattail management?

If you're growing your own, depending on what area you're in you're going to have to be extremely diligent about getting rid of or preventing the establishment of Phragmites. Phragmites will beat cattails up and take their lunch money, and they're very difficult to get rid of once they become established in wetlands or shoreline.

Livestock grazing in the UK is pretty good at maintaining them, but yeah, Bull Rushes are not an uncommon thing in a reed bed, but it's a reed bed, not a Cattail bed, and they only crop up a couple every 10 yards or so in the UK.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:32 am 

Ad'lan wrote:
Livestock grazing in the UK is pretty good at maintaining them, but yeah, Bull Rushes are not an uncommon thing in a reed bed, but it's a reed bed, not a Cattail bed, and they only crop up a couple every 10 yards or so in the UK.

Around here Phragmites (or the australis version, at least) is considered an invasive species. It can take over good-sized patches of previously pretty diverse wetlands in a season or two, pushing out the native plants. We have to burn the area a few times to get rid of it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:57 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

bonanacrom wrote:
Need to talk to a mod to see if these oddball posts can be removed from Y.T.s thread. I haven't seen this level of stupidity since the neighbor boys set there gas can on fire setting it next to the fire pit.

Amen. I would love to see the off topic/stupid crap gone too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:48 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Eh...

Sure, there were some moronic posts, but they spawned some valid discussion. Next time, instead of feeding the trolls ignore them and flag the posts or (nicely) set them straight. Let's keep this thread on topic and keep the good information coming :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:33 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Speaking of cramps (don't read if you freak out over discussion of menstruation):

This is my major minor fear about long term inaccessibility to OTC medication. My entire cycling life has been plagued with dehabilitating (for at least 24 hours, no matter if I start dosing with NSAIDs 3 days before I'm due, which I always have, otherwise it's even worse) menstrual cramps. While taking high doses of NSAIDS has not destroyed my kidneys or stomach lining (yet), I do have concerns about using up the supply for that instead of other uses. While for me, popping out three kids did somewhat reduce the severity of cramping for about 6 years, it's coming back full force and then some. (Something I understand is fairly common as women move towards or into perimenopause).

I've been experimenting with some non-pharma strategies, and here is what has (and hasn't) worked for me thus far:

What has worked:
1) Switching to reuseable menstrual supplies. At first I thought it was just coincidence, but considering how many people I have talked to who have also noticed a change, I do believe that for some people not using the chemical laden commercial menstrual products can make a difference in flow length and comfort. If you plan on wearing more than one outfit (and cleaning your clothing or brushing your teeth) during the paw, you can handle washing your pads/rags/cup. Really. I have done it in primitive/wilderness camping situations, easily. Especially for women who (for a variety of reasons) experience a lot of clotting and flooding, cloth seems to absorb better and at least for me external or cup supplies seem to prevent the start-and-stop issues I have with regular tampons.

2) Every day calcium supplementation. I was very VERY skeptical of this. I eat a pretty good diet, take a high quality multi as insurance, and I hate pill popping so I fought my doctor's advice on this until the last year. It only took 3 cycles to notice a difference, taking me down from 48 hours of severe pain to less than 24.

3) Vitex. I posted about this earlier, but if cramps are in part caused by changes in your system as you age, or because of several anovulatory periods that mean that your periods become more irregular or heavy, this might be worth giving a try. I was told to expect not to see changes for 3 or more cycles, but to be honest, I noticed it the first one. I don't think that will be everyone's experience, I'd already started the calcium as well, so I don't believe it was all vitex, but my PMS symptoms and PMS cramping really plummeted, and have remained so.

4) Exercise and stretching. Again, this is something that I resisted. Really, you want me to do some fucking stupid yoga pose or crawl around the house when I am suffering pain as severe as the 14 hours of unmedicated back labor I went through with my firstborn, except with no respite inbetween contractions? Really? Yes, really. That plus daily moderate exercise I think has made a huge impact. when I started having severe cramping again, I got out my birth ball (look up on the 'net for some laboring positions and/or exercises with a birth ball, it's just a big exercise ball, inexpensive and something nice to have anyway), and that helped a lot too.

5) Orgasm. Thankfully I have an awesome partner who does not screech like a teenage girl and cry and go "zOMG ICKY POO!!!" over menstruation (though, it's not like you must have a partner to accomplish this). For me, this is most effective during the pre-event cramping and for mild to moderate cramps rather than when I am in the fetal position. :)

6) Counterpressure. (Incidentally, FOR ME this was one of the most helpful pain management techniques in non-medicated labor) Basically, there may be another area of your body to which strong pressure can be applied to take the focus off where you are hurting. I have a rolling pin that can be frozen or filled with heated water that I like rolled VERY FIRMLY up and down the small of my back during the worst cramps (or during intense contractions). I don't think this is very practical in most circumstances, but if you are desperate or the meds are not doing it and you have hours to go before you can take the next one, I have found it helpful. You're SOL without someone to help you though.

What didn't work:

1) Red Raspberry Leaf Tea. I know some people who say it works for them, and I'm happy for them. I hated the taste and despite drinking it around the clock (iced, hot, whatever way I could choke it down) it didn't seem to do a damn thing for me. Worth a try, though, especially if you've got a crapload of raspberry bushes, then you can make it for free.

2) Eliminating red meat/dairy products. I did this for another reason for 2 years, during the worst crampy period of my life (before kids) and it had no impact. However, I don't doubt that it might have an impact for some people, esp. if it leads to better nutrition/diet in general.

3) Preforumulated herbal menstrual remedies (even if they contain chasteberry/vitex). As it happens, Dong Quai makes me very, very ill. Be sure you read all the ingredients in a multi-ingredient formula. It might be better to try each one separately, so that you can a) take the minimal amount of stuff you need, and b) not give up on all of them because one is screwing you up.

4) Hormonal BCP. I know many people for whom that it is a huge blessing. The only thing I got out of it was migraines and a mini-stroke. :P At least now I know I'm NOT a candidate for hormone replacement and won't get badgered about it in my old age, right? ;)

5) Extra magnesium supplementation. Apparently this is the new hot thing for people to be deficient in (now that Vit D isn't sexy anymore). Magnesium supplementation only gave me diarrhea (apparently, bodybuilders already know about the magnesium runs, yikes.). On the other hand, again I don't doubt that some women ARE deficient and could benefit. It's hard to find calcium supplements without magnesium or vice versa but it can be done. Just be careful or try to get professional advice on this one.

All in all, I still hope that the PAW does not hit until I am happily post-menopausal. It's easier (and cheaper) to stock a bunch of Naproxen or Ibu than a bunch of supplements, I think, but I'm into comfort and for me finding other strategies (while knowing I can always pop a pill) has increased my comfort. And I like knowing some totally non-medicinal strategies too incase you're out of vitamins, herbs, and pills. (though if there is alcohol around in that situation, that's probably what I'd go for. :D) But for women who do not suffer extreme cramps, it's definitely possible to find great relief with some of those strategies and maybe you could avoid meds altogether.

Also, if you don't already track your cycle, it's really useful to do so! That way you can note what you tried when, and especially for things that might take some time to work, you can reliably note changes (if any) without having to rely on memory. I had little code symbols on my paper calendars for years, right now in the age of comfort and technology I love http://www.mymonthlycycle.com . I've tracked on there since 2004, and it's really cool to have 7 years of cycle history at a glance. Being able to have those records and bringing them with me to OB/GYN appointments has helped a lot in tracking hormonal changes, adding additional info when problems come up, ect. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:04 pm 

Never thought I would be commenting in this thread.... :D

Due to several requests for more information however here goes.

Several years ago we decided that we had enough babies and that given our ages and likelihood of birth defects due to increased ages (mostly mine) we were not going to have any more kids. We wanted something that was safe and fail safe. We knew what we did not want, which was surgery for either of us or any kind of drug. This really limits your options to devices and condoms. At least it used to.

After a lot of research and digging the wife came upon the Essure device, similar to an IUD but supposed to last forever.

http://www.essure.com/

Because it was so new we did a lot of research on this and read a few studies. The biggest risk seemed to be device expulsion or ectopic pregnancy. Either way the risk looked pretty low and the claimed effectiveness looked pretty high. So we went with it.

Finding a doctor that did the procedure nearby was a little tough. The closest one was 55 miles away. We do live in a rural area so this was not totally unexpected. However there are not many doctors who do the procedure and some have never heard of it. Your best bet is to bring the material from the website to explain it to the doctor.

Our health insurance covered it and I have no idea what it really cost. We paid $28 in copays. There were four doctor visits not counting the referral. I was deployed so I did not go to any of them. However my interest was quite high and we talked a lot.

The first visit was a screening/ sales pitch. The doctor explained the procedure and fielded questions as well as a brief exam.

The second visit was the procedure. The MiL took the wife and they knocked her out with a local. She woke up in moderate pain ten minutes later and the MiL drove her home. Recovery took a couple of days but did not hinder any activity it was just mild to moderate discomfort. All healing was internal and rapid.

There were then two follow up appointments. The first three days later the second three months later to confirm that everything was fine. There have been zero issues since then an no complaints about anything. Really boring all in all. Everyone's plumbing still works the way it supposed to with one small difference which seems to affect nothing.

If you don't want any more kids -and- you don't want to take any drugs -and- you don't want to get cut on this is a great way to go. But it is a one way trip. We have no regrets because that is where we are in life.

They say that there have been some reversals done. It may be possible but we would not have done it if we were planning on more kids.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:10 pm 

Thank you everyone for all the information!!! I have never heard of the menstrual cups, what an awesome item!!!! I hope to have enough next payday that I can get one. Such a great network we have here!!!!! I feel so fortunate to have found this!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:00 am 

1) I haven't seen this link yet -- http://www.sisterzeus.com/ is a site with herbal fertility info (contraception, abortion, and general gyn health included).

2) I have an hormonal IUD (Mirena) and it has completely stopped my period, so I like to plug it at every opportunity :)

3) Non-pharma menstrual cramp relief: I'd like to reiterate heat. For me, on the lower abdomen, and for a uterus-having housemate of mine, on the back. We both use rice sacks (microwave is amazingly convenient, but not mandatory). Mine, the low-tech no-sew version, is a big old sock with a knot in the end. My housemate actually sewed one with multiple sections to keep all the rice from winding up at one end. These devices are also multi-use for muscle strain and throwing at the bottom of the bed/sleeping bag.

I think I may edit this post later with some more info on herbal gyn treatments I've tried, but right now my brains are scrambled from sleep-dep...my apologies if this isn't helpful!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:55 pm 

5. Birth Control
6. Pregnancy

Sorry, I'm new and have only skimmed through this thread which I find so important and extremely thoughtful. So I apologize in advance if this information about inducing a natural miscarriage has already been posted and/or discussed. No doubt, all of this knowledge is extremely beneficial in a PAW scenario. Thank you for the wealth of information.

http://www.naturalmiscarriage.org/

/"""""""""""""""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_@_/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:48 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I found a product called "Cyclebeads" that help a woman keep track of where she is in her cycle.
http://www.jadeandpearl.com/catalog/ind ... ucts_id=72
Seams like something that could be easily made. May just be my next small project.

By the way LOVE the tread! So many good ideas.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:02 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Jamie wrote:
"Where There is No Doctor" and "Where Women Have No Doctor" are both available for free download (in PDF format) at:

http://www.hesperian.org/publications_download.php

Jamie

Thanks Jamie!

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:42 pm 

bacpacjac wrote:
Jamie wrote:
"Where There is No Doctor" and "Where Women Have No Doctor" are both available for free download (in PDF format) at:

Jamie

Thanks Jamie!

I know Jamie's post is quite old, but I would actually recomend "A Handbook for Midwifes" over "Where Women have no Doctor". More concise and to the point. I don't need an OB/GYN book to come with advise on self defense and rape prevention. Plus, a few things are covered more in dept it the midwife book than in WWHND, for example (IIRC) postpartum bleeding.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:53 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Krustofski wrote:
bacpacjac wrote:
Jamie wrote:

Jamie

Thanks Jamie!

I know Jamie's post is quite old, but I would actually recomend "A Handbook for Midwifes" over "Where Women have no Doctor". More concise and to the point. I don't need an OB/GYN book to come with advise on self defense and rape prevention. Plus, a few things are covered more in dept it the midwife book than in WWHND, for example (IIRC) postpartum bleeding.

Thanks Krustofski! I'll download that one too.

Great thread everyone. Thanks!

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:11 pm 

Something that i learned to do for a hobby 2 years ago I realize now will be a huge help to myself and others in this situation. I taught myself to knit. Using organic cotton i now make my own menstrual pads. They are very good with the cotton i use for holding the fluids in, i carry one of those small ziplock bags one for the fresh and another for the used. The organic cotton is easy to hand wash or just throw in the machine and can be made in several sizes and absorbancies!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:29 am 

Location: Leaning on an acacia, deliciously shaded, with the occasional sunbeam streaking through leaves.
Hello. I read most of the posts here and felt I had to share some information. I hope you all won't mind and that I won't be offending anyone since that is not my intention at all. Feel free to correct me if you think I mentioned something wrong.

Many years ago, I was assigned in remote parts of what some of you might consider "Third World" countries to teach women about their overall health and how to take care of themselves and their families. Majority of these areas did not have doctors or any form of medical help for miles around, so they had to rely on themselves and their know-how for any emergencies, which could mean life or death of a loved one. Scenarios like that can be possible for everyone in a PAW situation, so I'd like to share some of those information. If this has already been discussed here, then I do apologize.

I've seen a lot of you post about IUDs and similar types of devices. Of course, the choice is still yours. If it works for you, then good. But generally, we do not recommend these because any foreign object that is inserted in your body increases your risk for infection, among other things. Even something as simple as a tampon have caused near-death situations in some women. Hard to believe, but if you've worked in a hospital long enough, you'll get to hear and see numerous cases you never thought possible. For safety, I would advise sticking to external means.

Now, some basic principles:

>Contraception is the prevention of fertility on a temporary basis.

>Sterilization is the permanent prevention of fertility.

> Contraception effectiveness depends on motivation, which is a result of education, culture, religion, and personal situation. It's always best when both partners are involved in any contraception decision.

>On the average, an egg is released about 14 (plus or minus 2) days before a woman's next menstrual period. But because the egg survives 3 to 4 days (6 to 24 hours after ovulation) and the sperm can live 48 to 72 hours (up to even 5 days in fertile mucus), the actual time during which a woman may become pregnant is measured not in hours, not in days, but in weeks.

Contraceptive Methods:

1. Periodic abstinence

This simply means not having sex during the fertile period of every cycle. You can determine this by:

a. Calendar method - ovulation occurs 14 days before your next menstrual period. This is based upon your 12 previous menstrual cycles, you subtract 18 days from your shortest menstrual cycle to determine your first fertile day, and 11 days from your longest menstrual cycle to determine your last fertile day. You can then calculate the total number of days during which you may ovulate. If your menstrual cycles are quite irregular from month to month, there will be a greater number of days during which you might become pregnant.

b. Basal body temperature - drops immediately before ovulation and rises 24-72 hours after ovulation. Unfortunately, this temperature difference is not very large. It is less than 1 degree F (about a half degree C) in the body at rest. This requires you to take your temperature every morning before you even get out of bed. A special thermometer that is more accurate and sensitive than a typical oral thermometer must be used, and the daily temperature variations carefully noted. This must be done every month. There are online calculators available to help you chart your basal body temperature. To use this as a birth control method, you should refrain from having sexual intercourse from the time your temperature drops until at least 48-72 hours after your temperature increases again.

Ovulation calculators:
http://www.webmd.com/baby/healthtool-ovulation-calculator
http://www.momswhothink.com/pregnancy/ovulation-calculator-and-calendar.html/
http://www.ovulation-calculator.org/

c. The Billing's/Cervical mucus/Mucus inspection method[/b]

There will be an increase in mucus at the time of ovulation, which will appear to be clear and stringy and can be stretched up to an inch when pulled apart (very much like an egg white). To do this, just get a mucus sample by using your fingers. Note the appearance and consistency by writing it down on your personal notebook. You can choose to have intercourse between the time of your last menstrual period and the time of change in the cervical mucus. During this period, it is recommended that you have sexual intercourse only every other day because the presence of seminal fluid (semen) makes it more difficult to determine the nature of your cervical mucus. If you do not wish to become pregnant, you should not have sexual intercourse at all for 3 to 4 days after you notice the change in your cervical mucus.

Also, I must add, to please take note of the color, consistency and odor of your vaginal discharge. Infections can be detected using this method, but I'll probably discuss that in a separate post to avoid confusion.

What are the advantages?

>No health hazards.
>Inexpensive.
>Religiously acceptable for those who are very much concerned about it.
>Increases your knowledge of your cycles.

Disadvantages?

>25% failure rate.
>Requires strict and consistent record-keeping.

2. Coitus Interruptus/Withdrawal Method

This is the act of withdrawing the penis from the vagina when ejaculation is imminent. The man must withdraw before ejaculation, so ejaculation occurs away from the female genitalia.

Advantages?

>No cost.
>No health hazards.
>Always available.

Disadvantages?

>Interruption of sex act. (Hubby wanted me to say that. :lol: )
>It has a failure rate of 35-40%. Why? Pre-ejaculatory fluid can contain sperm. It only takes one to fertilize an egg. Also, there are instances during the intercourse when a man can release small amounts of sperm. Another thing to keep in mind is that when using this method, your partner should not ejaculate in the immediate area of your vagina. There are instances where even just ejaculating the sperm on the outside labia of the vagina, the sperm still manages to swim inside and ovulate an egg.

3. Lactational infertility or Lactational amenorrhea

Breast-feeding has a contraceptive effect due to prolactin's inhibition of the luteinizing hormone, which maintains menstruation. This can be done by breastfeeding on demand, around the clock, without formula supplementation.

Advantages?

>No health hazards.
>No cost.

Disadvantages?

>It is not very reliable since menstruation following childbirth varies widely among women. Although, a strong relationship has been observed between the amount of suckling and the contraceptive effect. Usually, women who are breastfeeding starts ovulating again between 10-12 weeks after delivery. Remember that if you start ovulating again, you may not realize you're fertile and ovulation can occur prior to the return of your menstrual period. If this happens and you have unprotected sexual intercourse, you can become pregnant at the same time you're still breastfeeding your baby. You must carefully monitor yourself or use another method of contraception.

On a completely different subject, let me just briefly say that if you are using contraceptive pills and would still want to get pregnant in the future, make sure to take "rests". Example, take one or two-month long breaks from BC pills before taking them again.

*I'm a bit lazy when it comes to typing, so I'll end this for now. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:12 am 

Be careful. I know several women who have gotten pregnant while breast feeding. Pumping seems to greatly reduce effectiveness. At least from what I have observed.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:35 am 

Location: Leaning on an acacia, deliciously shaded, with the occasional sunbeam streaking through leaves.
Blacksmith wrote:
Be careful. I know several women who have gotten pregnant while breast feeding. Pumping seems to greatly reduce effectiveness. At least from what I have observed.

Like I mentioned, it's not very reliable. However, if you pair it with another contraceptive method, you can increase its effectivity also. :)

I gave those methods because they don't need anything artificial, which is a scenario that is very possible n a PAW event. Lactational amenorrhoea can be used by women who wish to prevent pregnancy and meet the following criteria:

>They have given birth in the previous six months.
>They are breastfeeding their infant exclusively or almost exclusively.
>They have not experienced menstrual bleeding since childbirth.

The method is contraindicated in women who do not meet all of the above criteria. While non-exclusive breastfeeding can exert some contraceptive effect, the risk of pregnancy is increased.

The risk of pregnancy is also increased for women who breastfeed exclusively but express milk, either by hand or pump. Women who express milk (e.g. while they are at work) should use an additional contraceptive methods, as I mentioned above. This method is also unsuitable for women using some medications, including mood altering medications. Women using medications should check with their doctor about whether the medications will interfere with effective use of lactational amenorrhoea.

The effectiveness of lactational amenorrhoea is highly dependent on correct use. In particular, it is important that breastfeeding must:

>Occur at regular intervals (i.e. on demand and at least every four hours during the day and every six hours at night)
>Be exclusive, or almost exclusive (i.e. supplemental foods should not exceed 5-10% of the infant's nutritional intake).

It is also important to begin taking another contraceptive method after six months or earlier if the menstrual cycle returns before six months after childbirth. Individuals using lactational amenorrhoea should inquire about and obtain an additional method when they are visiting a health facility, so that they are ready to commence that method at the return of menstrual bleeding.

**What I posted here is not the be all and end all of the subject. It is always important to consult your OB-Gyne about these things.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:39 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.
The bit on the withdrawal method is not quite correct. If done correctly, failure rate is around 4%. Incorrectly, about 27%. Pre-ejaculate does not in and of itself, contain sperm- it can contain sperm from a previous ejaculation, that become stuck to the urethra, so if one wants to have sex a second time one should be sure the guy pees, to wash things out. Basically, if you're very careful to always do it correctly, and ideally combine it with a different method (say, tracking your cycle and avoiding sex during times you might be ovulating, and using withdrawal when you are pretty sure you won't get pregnant anyway), it isn't the worst thing you could do.

Source: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/withdrawal-pull-out-method-4218.htm

Also, none of the methods listed protects against STI's, so keep that in mind.

shrapnel wrote:
Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote:
People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:
Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:18 am 

Hiya, Shrapnel. Thanks for that input! :)

The subject about the presence of sperm in the seminal fluid is debatable and the existing researches that can be found has only been conducted on a small number of men. However, there has been a study called, Sperm content of pre-ejaculatory fluid, published in March 2011, Vol. 14, No. 1 , Pages 48-52, by Stephen R. Killick, Christine Leary, James Trussell and Katherine A. Guthrie that states the following:

Quote:
This study was designed to establish whether motile spermatozoa are released with pre-ejaculatory fluid and whether this fluid therefore poses a risk for unintended pregnancy. Forty samples of pre-ejaculatory fluid were examined from 27 volunteer men. Samples were obtained by masturbation and by touching the end of the penis with a Petri dish prior to ejaculation. Eleven of the 27 subjects (41%) produced pre-ejaculatory samples that contained spermatozoa and in 10 of these cases (37%), a reasonable proportion of the sperm was motile. The volunteers produced on up to five separate occasions and sperms were found in either all or none of their pre-ejaculatory samples. Hence, condoms should continue to be used from the first moment of genital contact, although it may be that some men, less likely to leak spermatozoa in their pre-ejaculatory fluid, are able to practice coitus interruptus more successfully than others.

The failure rate of 35-40% for coitus interruptus came from Lippincott's. It was based on studies and articles by: Boyers SP et al, Eichhorst BC, Kugel C and Verson H, Reidmann GL.

However, You were correct in saying that none of the method protects from transmission of any sexual disease. These methods can be used for worst case scenarios were nothing else is available to prevent pregnancies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:41 am 

Ty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:19 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

The Mrs. wrote:
On a completely different subject, let me just briefly say that if you are using contraceptive pills and would still want to get pregnant in the future, make sure to take "rests". Example, take one or two-month long breaks from BC pills before taking them again.:

Citation? Obviously you're well versed in this, but I am not aware of any data for this?

Thanks for all your work!

ETA - Necro edit!!! I finally looked this up to be sure. There is no need to take "breaks" from the pill - use of the pill does not change fertility rates once the pill is stopped. (Contraceptive Technology, 20th ed. Hatcher et al, 2011 page 284)

Last edited by duodecima on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:33 am 

Some of this has been covered already, but I thought I would share anyways.

First off, I am not a doctor, or even a herbalist. Simply looking at alternative contraceptives for a PAW. YMMV, with the obvious side effect being pregnancy.

I would think that practicing NFP (Natural family planning) in addition to using some of these herbal things would be a good idea and provide more protection. If you are interested in learning about charting, basal temperatures, cervical fluid, etc et al, then I would recommend taking the (free) charting course at Fertility Friend. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/courses/

I have looked up each “remedy” on multiple sites/books, and posted the one that is most pertinent and easy to read as the source.

Natural Spermacides:

Aloe Barbadensis http://www.ajol.info/index.php/dmsj/art ... 2495/41103 at 7.5 to 10% concentrations.
Neem Oil http://www.sisterzeus.com/neem.html
A couple of “recipes” http://www.sisterzeus.com/Hsp2sk.htm and more herbs listed.

Before intercourse or daily:

Queen Ann's Lace (seeds) http://www.sisterzeus.com/qaluse.htm
EXCLUSIVELY Breast Feeding (obviously you must have a child/ren for this to be an option) http://www.fhi360.org/en/rh/pubs/factsh ... eeding.htm Note: If you are breastfeeding and decide to use any of the other methods here, do your research first. I am not sure what if any of these options will transfer in to breast milk.

Preventing Implantation (natures Plan B?):

Neem Oil http://cryptogon.com/?p=25272

Abortifacients:
I'm not going to go in to the moral issues of this, just going to provide information. I am not a medical doctor, and I have not used any of these methods. Use at your own risk.

A e-book listing and explaining when/what/how to use, etc. in PDF form. http://www.mediafire.com/?b9ea1ek15szc9ma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:10 pm 

I just thought I'd toss it out here for research. I was listening to a survival cd in my truck and it said if you are pregnant, which my cousin is, you should avoid taking on the chore of emtying you cats litterbox, if you have a cat.

Avoid cats, no. Cat litter, yes. Or at least pregnant women should be very careful about cleaning the litter box.
That's because cat poop (and soil or sand where cats have been) can carry a parasitic infection called toxoplasmosis. If you get toxoplasmosis while you're pregnant or even a few months before you conceive, it can cause serious birth defects such as eye and brain damage.

*I hope I am not reposting prior information...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next