It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:50 am 

Really excellent thread!!

I have been using a Diva Cup for over two years now. What a great invention! My period is lighter and a bit shorter...and yes I do buy into the claim that all the dioxins and other chemicals in sposie pads and tampons make periods longer, heavier and are just in general unhealthy.

Along the smae line of thinking I cloth diapered both of my kids with modern cloth diapers, they are awesome. My kids never had diaper rash. We also use cloth flannel wipes that I made for their little noses when runny, they have never had a red chapped nose, not even during the worst illness. We also use these cloths for face wipe up after meals, instead of paper towels and for just about anything you would need a paper cloth or wet wipe for.

While disposable stuff is conveneint I find it also carries with it negative side affects.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:38 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Added to my kit:

Vitex (chasteberry). I am entering into the beginnings of perimenopause (still ovulating, but my cycles are shifting a bit, and have had some *tested* minor progesterone "imbalances") as I am in my late thirties. I didn't want to be on progesterone directly unless I had to, and this seems to be helping both symptoms (super heavy periods esp. after an anovulatroy cycle, hot flashes, irritability) and bleeding. I have an MD and a naturopath who coordinate care (I like to hear both sides of treatment/potential treatment) and they both gave it a thumbs up to try. While I know progesterone creams are out there (and have used them before with medical consult to help with ovarian cysts and the like), I can't stress enough that you have to be very very careful, the last thing you want is to compound a hormone imbalance or create one where there wasn't a problem before.

Anyway, vitex/chasteberry is a pretty powerful herb though, not something you'd want to mess with without a consult all things being equal. And I'm sure like anything else some people may not get relief from it. I've found it immensely helpful though. Worth investigating, I think!

I've also found red raspberry leaf tea and daily calcium/mag supplementation (watch the mag, though, if you take too much you're going to get gutbuster diarrhea, as apparently some body builders know all too well, eeew) to be really helpful after a cycle or two with severe cramping.

I also think one of the best thing we mid-life ladies can do for ourselves is daily exercise and regular weight bearing exercise! I'd been feeling very out of sorts and just not good in my body until I went to the doctor, got some tests, and brought in a naturopath for some complementary nutrition/herb advice (with my doc's knowledge and support). There's a lot of focus on pregnancy/fertility in this thread (as there should be, I stilll have to worry about that too and probably will for quite a few more years!) so I thought I would throw in some peri/menopause stuff, esp. since this is what I've been learning more and more about (and having fun doing so!). :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:39 pm 

Chantrea wrote:
Vitex (chasteberry) stuff stuff stuff

Plus, used as a topical it helps to scare away mosquitos and ticks. It's not DEET or anything, but pretty good for what it is. Multi-use FTW.

[Mehlhorn H et al. (2005) Extract of the seeds of the plant Vitex agnus castus proven to be highly efficacious as a repellent against ticks, fleas, mosquitoes and biting flies. Parasitol Res. 95(5):363-365]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:39 pm 

Y.T. wrote:
5. Birth Control

I've been thinking the best approach here would be to research pre-industrial era methods, methods used in less developed countries, and methods used in tribal cultures. Any info or links on this are welcome. :)

this is obviously a huge thread and it looks like its a couple years old too. and the opener wanted to avoid religion, but i think some valuable information on this subject can be learned from the bible.

if you search one of the first 5 books of the bible for the law concerning when a woman is allowed to have sex after her menstrual cycle and so forth. the reason i mentioned this is because, the law was written in a time where water and other natural resources was very limited. the hebrews were very much in a 'bug out' situation, traveling through the desert. now i can't remember the exact location, BUT...briefly, the law goes something like this:

basically, from the last day of her menstrual cycle a woman is to count 7 days, and on the 7th day is to bathe in water and she will be clean, and she can then have sex with her husband. but in actuality, having unprotected sex at that point will greatly increase the chances of a conception. so the goal then would be to avoid a sexual contact at this point. each woman will have to count her own days and so forth to know her fertile times.

but you have to be realistic, if you have a mixed group, even in a survival situation, people are going to have sex. i think this is a fantastic topic and am glad the opener started it. i was concerned about this issue myself because i will have a female in my group also.

you have to be practical, and you also have to be respectful of the females in your group. during this time i think that the most practical thing to do is to let the females wear some sort of skirt that will give them modesty, but also allow them to stay clean. the vagina is a self cleaning organ. but if you are wearing any clothing or articles that will trap the fluids then you're asking for an infection of some type. and having some sort of reusable cloth or rag is just not practical, and likely will lead to contamination and disease.

there is a REASON why the ancients did the things they did, and came to the solutions to the problems they had. they weren't stupid. they were highly intelligent. and for this survival type situation, to address the female issues, they took a very practical approach to increase comfort and cleanliness and decrease disease and infection.

so in short, the people in your group must be adult enough to handle female issues. wear a skirt of some kind and 'air dry' ... and to be blunt don't wear underwear. have people in your group that you can trust to not be perverts and try to sneak peaks. find a source of water to keep yourself clean. always go downstream from base camp. if you are by a lake, dip into the water to wash yourself, but stay on land, so that any contaminants cannot make their way to where you draw drinking water from.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:50 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

The bible also teaches you how to make soap, which you should study up on, because all the women in your group are apparently supposed to walk around bleeding down both legs.
:(

I do not like your ideas.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:44 pm 

crypto wrote:
The bible also teaches you how to make soap, which you should study up on, because all the women in your group are apparently supposed to walk around bleeding down both legs.
:(

I do not like your ideas.

i don't like it either. but we're talking a survival situation not a stroll through the park. that's exactly why women wore long skirts back in the day, to keep them modest. no matter what level of technology you prepare for, eventually all your tampons, pads, etc. will get used up. then what are you gona do? cut a hole in your jeans? that's real modest. depending on how long you are out of society you just have to be prepared for the reality of the situation.

you never know what level society will break down to, who will be your friend, or enemy. i'm talking about base level preparation. no dependency at all on the current conveniences we take for granted. and keep in mind, this is a few days to a week out of the month we are talking about here. the rest of the time females will be able to resume their normal dress.

and i'm not saying don't take ANY tampons with you... you don't know how long the bugout might last. i'm simply saying what to do to be prepared for the worst case scenario. what if you end up having to go months or years without resupply? what if there's a nuclear attack? WW3? everything is wiped out and there's only a few pockets of survivors scattered through the countrysides? i think the reality of that situation is much worse than the thought of having to go without underwear in order to deal with it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:58 pm 

Oh bull.
Women didn't wear long skirts to hide the blood dripping down their legs.
Pads have been used for many centuries to handle blood flow from the monthly cycle, they were cleaned and boiled to sterilize them.

Even ancient Egyptians used them.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am 

ZombieGranny wrote:
Oh bull.
Women didn't wear long skirts to hide the blood dripping down their legs.
Pads have been used for many centuries to handle blood flow from the monthly cycle, they were cleaned and boiled to sterilize them.

Even ancient Egyptians used them.

again, a different situation. the hebrews didn't have water to drink in the desert, let alone to bathe in or waste boiling sanitary pads. we're talking a worst case scenario, where drinkable water is a premium. if i was a woman at risk of dying from thirst i don't think i would use my last bit to try to maintain my self conscious aesthetics.

do what you want. i was just offering ideas on how to handle and be prepared for a worst case scenario. if you only want to prepare for a week or two, and counting on things returning to normal rather quickly, then just take a few tampons with you. if you want to prepare for the long haul, then you have to think about these things.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:56 am 

thosah wrote:

again, a different situation. the hebrews didn't have water to drink in the desert, let alone to bathe in or waste boiling sanitary pads. we're talking a worst case scenario, where drinkable water is a premium. if i was a woman at risk of dying from thirst i don't think i would use my last bit to try to maintain my self conscious aesthetics.

do what you want. i was just offering ideas on how to handle and be prepared for a worst case scenario. if you only want to prepare for a week or two, and counting on things returning to normal rather quickly, then just take a few tampons with you. if you want to prepare for the long haul, then you have to think about these things.

From you earlier post- "and on the 7th day is to bathe in water and she will be clean".

Which do you suppose would use more water-
A) Cleaning a weeks worth of menstrual blood off of her legs, feet, shoes, bedding, and so forth.
B) Boiling 7-28 reusable cloth pads the size of a large handkerchief.

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:21 am 

Need to talk to a mod to see if these oddball posts can be removed from Y.T.s thread. I haven't seen this level of stupidity since the neighbor boys set there gas can on fire setting it next to the fire pit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:55 am 

Uhh... yeah. Those customs were meant to prevent too many people from coming in contact with blood--you know, blood as in "this is a bio-hazard"?

Stuffing some toilet paper or a rag in your panties works just fine. I know; I've been too poor to afford "feminine hygiene" products more than once, and I didn't run around with blood dripping down my legs or anything. That's just gross. Give us girls credit for being at least somewhat inventive. Heck, you could probably stuff hay in there if you were really hard up for rags, however annoyingly itchy it would probably be. There are probably plant alternatives (lots of plants have fluffy seeds that'd probably work fine).

Also: It's really not as much blood as you might think. It's like, a quarter cup, through your whole period, at most. Doesn't take much to soak that up. It's not like it's a geyser or anything.

My more major problem would be the fact that I get cramps. When I was a little younger it got to the point that I regularly passed out or threw up; nowadays, I only get dizzy, tired, and sore; but either way, it's no good because that first day, it puts me out of commission just as much as the flu does--that is, I can push through, but it's not going to be pretty, I won't be alert, and I'll probably let a zombie munch on my brains just because I'm too out of it noticing him shambling up behind me. Plus, I'd need more water because I'm usually sweating buckets too. Whatever preparation you've made for carting along somebody who's been slowed down in some way--and you should prepare for it, since it's entirely likely you'll have to bug out when you've got the flu or a sprained ankle or your eighty-year-old grandma's with you--you might have to use it if you are, or are with, a girl who's unlucky enough to be in the 10% or so to have periods that get to the point of really slowing her down.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:32 am 

Please Callista, NOT hay.
Cattail fluff is very nice for stuffing in a pad however, they tell me.

BTW: the stuffing was discarded; only the covers washed, sanitized, and reused.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:27 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

thosah wrote:

We've thought about them, we just came to a different conclusion than you.

So, serious question. This female that's going to be in your group: Have you discussed this aspect of your bug-out plan with her, and what exactly does she think of it?

Also: I'm afraid to ask what you're doing instead of toilet paper.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:53 am 

thosah wrote:
...so in short, the people in your group must be adult enough to handle female issues. wear a skirt of some kind and 'air dry' ... and to be blunt don't wear underwear. have people in your group that you can trust to not be perverts and try to sneak peaks...

HOLY. SHIT. :shock:

Ideas like this make me glad this sort of thing is behind me. If someone told me to "air dry. It's ok, we wont peek :wink: " I would just tell him that he can find another trash dump to live in.

also, sfw

Molly Grows Up

"Well, I'm afraid I'm going to have to eat your penis then."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:59 am 

I can't stop giggling. Let me know how your PAW rendition of Carrie goes...if you survive telling the female member of your group that she should "air dry."

You have at least considered talking to her about this pre-PAW, right?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:53 pm 

callista wrote:
Give us girls credit for being at least somewhat inventive. Heck, you could probably stuff hay in there if you were really hard up for rags, however annoyingly itchy it would probably be. There are probably plant alternatives (lots of plants have fluffy seeds that'd probably work fine).

Also: It's really not as much blood as you might think. It's like, a quarter cup, through your whole period, at most. Doesn't take much to soak that up. It's not like it's a geyser or anything.

Whatever preparation you've made for carting along somebody who's been slowed down in some way--and you should prepare for it, since it's entirely likely you'll have to bug out when you've got the flu or a sprained ankle or your eighty-year-old grandma's with you--you might have to use it if you are, or are with, a girl who's unlucky enough to be in the 10% or so to have periods that get to the point of really slowing her down.

exactly... a lot of folks think period, they think old faithful. God didn't make the human body that disgusting or impractical. cattails, flowers, things like that would certainly help. if available. i didn't think i had to mention those things. common sense. use what you have available. like using leaves for toilet paper when your stuck without any. you gota do what you gota do. heck, in many cultures they use their bare left hand. that's why in old writings they have a lot of euphemisms referring to the right hand. because the left hand is only good for one thing. but would you want to use your only spare pair of undies during that time, even with your precautions? and risk getting stuff on them that you wont be able to get out?

if you live where i do, chances are you will be able to find plenty of substitutes. at least in the summer. think winter time though. how bout some nice tree bark in your coochi? i don't think so. but what if you live out west? arizona or wyoming? places with little vegetation. and what is available has spiny things all over? wana try a cactus?

and the girl in my team gets anemic sometimes on her period, so that is an issue we are preparing for as well. it will be a struggle.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:03 pm 

It's still not viable.

Simply put, drying blood is sticky. If you walk any distance like that, you're going to end up with sores and possibly infection. Not a good idea, especially in the genital area. Imagine walking around with glue on your junk. Doesn't sound comfortable, does it? Then don't ask a woman to do it.

What do you do in the winter? Simple: Use the cattail fluff you collected during the summer. Or, y'know, pack a freaking tampon, if it's your first winter.

Additionally: Many women have heavy bleeding during the first day or two only. After that, simply wiping often works just fine. So what you actually need are about six tampons per month--three a day for the first two days, and then just stuff toilet paper in your panties. You can use toilet paper the first two days, if you like, but tampons are more comfortable, and much recommended for portability as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:15 pm 

Frankly thosah, will you please quit 'messing up' this thread?
Kindly make a different thread if you want to discuss your idea of what the other sex should do during their period.

Putting you on my 'foe' list. Goodbye.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:12 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

thosah, this is a friendly warning. Others here have asked you to tone it down. Please do so.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:33 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

ETA: Redacted. Sorry.

Last edited by crypto on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:47 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Crypto, he's been addressed, no need to keep pouring on the hostility.

OK, I think we've seen there are a variety of ways people can approach this. I think the best methods stand out if you read through the thread.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:29 am 

ok, this is getting ridiculous now. i'm not taking any warnings here. this is a forum. i didn't insult anyone or break any other rules. you can't tell people what they can say and what they can't. it's as simple as saying 'i don't like your idea' and leave it at that. anything more than that is clearly engaging in a conversation. i'm not wrong then to assume that those commenting want to further discuss the idea. i can't help it if some people aren't adult enough to handle that. if you're going to try to convince me why my idea is wrong, rather that just simply stating that you don't like it, then that is a conversation, and it's requesting a dialogue. i don't see where anyone requested that i not further discuss the topic. well, at least not before people started having temper tantrums. just trying to be helpful. if what i said isn't helpful, just be an adult and say 'sorry your comment isn't helpful' and leave it at that.

just so you know 6 months x 6 cattail pads = 36 at a minimum to prepare for. you're gona need a damn burro to carry that much stuff around with you. peace out i'm done with this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:41 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

thosah wrote:
ok, this is getting ridiculous now.

Yes. Yes it is. Thank you for making it ridiculous :roll:

thosah wrote:
i'm not taking any warnings here.

Oh, yes you are. You're taking them, whether or not you like them. In fact, you'll find your official warning for trolling and generally being an argumentative jerk in your inbox.

thosah wrote:
i didn't insult anyone or break any other rules. you can't tell people what they can say and what they can't.

Judging from the responses of every female member that read your posts, I'd say you insulted them with your macho "I know everything about women" banter and -- frankly -- stupid ideas. This little parting jab cements your status as "troll" in this thread. We don't allow for trolling; we allow for constructive, civil conversation. Your constant "in the bible" shtick is also annoying and toes right up against our "no religion" rules.

thosah wrote:
it's as simple as saying 'i don't like your idea' and leave it at that.

I don't like your idea, and I don't like you posting in this thread with your armchair gynecology from the Iron Age. If you post in this thread again, you're gonna find yourself on the receiving end of probation or time-out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:58 am 

Is there a thread somewhere discussing cattail management?
I did a search and couldn't find one.

From what I'm finding:
"Most often, these owners like to limit cattails to about 10% of the shoreline areas. In a round one-acre pond, this would result in about 75 feet of shoreline."
One heck of a lot of menstrual pads, etc in 75 feet of shoreline!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next