Women's Health Issues in the PAW

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

airexurb

Re: Women's Health Issues in the PAW

Post by airexurb » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:15 pm

thats a really good question. I don't know if you could substitute anything for the fake hormones. (I am now on estrogen with methyltestosterone...that cyst I mentioned turned out to not be a corpus luetum cyst :roll:) I'd guess that you could just prep things, herbal remedies, that would make the ensuing menopause easier on her. Also, make sure she gets lots of heart healthy fats and calcium. Heart disease and osteoporosis are common in women who have hysterectomies. :(
ista_hota wrote:"Hey Jim can I borrow your trailer?"
"No I need it tomorrow."
"Well, I'm afraid I'm going to have to eat your penis then."

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:26 pm

airexurb wrote:thats a really good question. I don't know if you could substitute anything for the fake hormones. (I am now on estrogen with methyltestosterone...that cyst I mentioned turned out to not be a corpus luetum cyst :roll:) I'd guess that you could just prep things, herbal remedies, that would make the ensuing menopause easier on her. Also, make sure she gets lots of heart healthy fats and calcium. Heart disease and osteoporosis are common in women who have hysterectomies. :(
Mom's 52 now, and already had a heart attack. Bad genes, plus the surgery, I guess. I'll bring up the subject with her doc when I take her in for refills. Her doc's a good guy when it comes to PAW planning. (I think he's a closet prepper).
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:28 pm

Why not talk to her doctor about it? Ask if there are suggestions he or she has, if *natural disaster of choice* knocks out infrastructure for a few weeks. Or something non-threatening like that.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:30 pm

shrapnel wrote:Why not talk to her doctor about it? Ask if there are suggestions he or she has, if *natural disaster of choice* knocks out infrastructure for a few weeks. Or something non-threatening like that.
Will do. Thanks for the replies. If I get anything useful out of it, I'll post it here in case any other ladies could use the info.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:34 pm

darkaxel: don't forget about the increased risk of osteoporosis in menopause. You might want to consider calcium and vitamin D supplements. Or, worst case, leafy greens (calcium) and sunshine (vitamin D).
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

DarkAxel

Post by DarkAxel » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:40 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:darkaxel: don't forget about the increased risk of osteoporosis in menopause. You might want to consider calcium and vitamin D supplements. Or, worst case, leafy greens (calcium) and sunshine (vitamin D).
I'll check the shelf-life of those supplements and stock up on 'em. Thanks. She already eats a lot of Poke sallet, collard greens, and the like (Country woman).

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

airexurb

Post by airexurb » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:42 pm

darkaxel wrote:
shrapnel wrote:Why not talk to her doctor about it? Ask if there are suggestions he or she has, if *natural disaster of choice* knocks out infrastructure for a few weeks. Or something non-threatening like that.
Will do. Thanks for the replies. If I get anything useful out of it, I'll post it here in case any other ladies could use the info.
yeah, please do. My insurance wont give me more than a months worth of pills at a time, and I'm too young for menopause just yet. So it'd be good to know what I can do just in case...
"No I need it tomorrow."

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:01 am

airexurb wrote:
darkaxel wrote:
yeah, please do. My insurance wont give me more than a months worth of pills at a time, and I'm too young for menopause just yet. So it'd be good to know what I can do just in case...
Can you get them to write you a script for more? You can buy Estradiol tablets in 1 and 2 mg tabs, notched for easy cutting, for $4 for 30 / $10 for 90 from Target, Wal-Mart or any of the other places that offer $4 generics. They work as good as premarin -some say better- and are not made out of pregnant mare urine, so thats a plus. Also, if the pill is being swallowed whole, consult with a physician about redosing for sublingual use. You need less for the same effect that way, and so you can stretch your supplies.

Another option, if you can tolerate it, is to pick up some patches... Vivelle-dot is good, though expensive, and generally well tolerated. A $60 box contains a months worth of meds. Generic patches are cheaper, but last ditch IMNSHO. Thick, uncomfortable, poor adhesion and -at least for me- left bloody red welts that lasted for MONTHS. In either case, unless you are maxing the dose (1mg daily for Vivelle, not sure what the generics cap is) you can get a patch for a larger dose (same price) and then cut them with scissors. Whalla! Instant doubling of supplies!

I would stay away from herbal options as replacements. The phytoestrogens have MILD estrogenic effects, as they work along similar routes (filling estrogen receptors in the cells) but they are VERY poor substitutes and can actually block uptake of actual estrogen.

Hope that helps.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:43 am

Thanks for the info! :D
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

airexurb

Post by airexurb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:37 am

Suizen wrote:
Can you get them to write you a script for more? You can buy Estradiol tablets in 1 and 2 mg tabs, notched for easy cutting, for $4 for 30 / $10 for 90 from Target, Wal-Mart or any of the other places that offer $4 generics. They work as good as premarin -some say better- and are not made out of pregnant mare urine, so thats a plus. Also, if the pill is being swallowed whole, consult with a physician about redosing for sublingual use. You need less for the same effect that way, and so you can stretch your supplies.

Another option, if you can tolerate it, is to pick up some patches... Vivelle-dot is good, though expensive, and generally well tolerated. A $60 box contains a months worth of meds. Generic patches are cheaper, but last ditch IMNSHO. Thick, uncomfortable, poor adhesion and -at least for me- left bloody red welts that lasted for MONTHS. In either case, unless you are maxing the dose (1mg daily for Vivelle, not sure what the generics cap is) you can get a patch for a larger dose (same price) and then cut them with scissors. Whalla! Instant doubling of supplies!

I would stay away from herbal options as replacements. The phytoestrogens have MILD estrogenic effects, as they work along similar routes (filling estrogen receptors in the cells) but they are VERY poor substitutes and can actually block uptake of actual estrogen.

Hope that helps.
holy crap, thanks! I was informed recently that we can call the insurance company to get them to allow me to have more than 30 days. I don't think the patch would be good for me. I broke out into hives everywhere the hospital tape touched my skin, so I'm betting that a patch wouldnt be so awesome. (plus with two little kids, the chances of that thing not getting pulled off are pretty slim)
"No I need it tomorrow."

Elli
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, The Evil Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Land of the Dead + many others.

Post by Elli » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm so glad I came across this post, theres soo much great information here!
I'm not sure if its okay to bump the thread since its been several months since the last post. I'm new so still trying to figure it all out heh.
I just thought I'd let you ladies know about another type of reusable pads that I've been using and picked up for my B.O.B. They are a reusable diaper company (for anyone out there who may have a baby in diapers when the SHTF) but they also make reusable pads and other baby & womens stuff .
They are called Fuzzi Bunz - > http://www.fuzzibunzstore.com/index.php ... etail&p=23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I ended up buying mine from amazon.
Anyways, they are fleece and really soft. Amazon has ones with a daisy pattern on them if you don't want plain white.

Just thought I'd post it since I have them and really like them.
ImageImage

Deepanshu

Post by Deepanshu » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:22 am

Ad'lan, condoms made of anything other than latex are too porous to protect against disease. Germs are smaller than sperms.

Re latex menstrual cups: they can also be cleaned with soap and water and/or by soaking in 50/50 water and white vinegar. I suppose cider vinegar would also work, but might leave more odor. Menstrual products need not be sterile (tampons and commercial pads are not), but they do need to be clean. If you use a menstrual cup, it should be washed with some non-artificially-scented soap, or completely unscented soap and water at least once daily during your cycle. I use Dr Bronner's peppermint or tea tree soaps on mine, although lavender would also work because of its natural antiseptic properties.

Little Rock
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Post by Little Rock » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:36 am

It might not seem like a big deal, but any advice on birth control. I know my insurance allows for a 90 day supply. Personally, I know that it affects me not only in the obvious way, but also that it has a great effect on my emotions due to the fluctuation of my hormones. As someone who is already on antidepressants, this is very important. Especially in a high-stress situation, I feel it's important to keep myself on an even keel.
I was wrong when I said that surviving is as good as it gets. - Selena, 28 Days Later

Kali

Post by Kali » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:39 pm

This thread was a great read. Thanks for such a thorough source of information.

I gave birth naturally at a hospital (18 hours of labor). They thought that I was crazy and kept pushing pain meds at me. I declined. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I had some pain, but it was always manageable.

I pushed for 2 hours, at my own pace (no one yelling at me or counting to 10). They started that at first but figured out pretty quickly that I was ignoring them. I also pushed on all fours, because it felt right for some reason. I wouldn't have been able to do that with an epidural. I think the doctor was a little weirded out by the fact that I took control of it myself. That is a pretty long time to push. Turns out DS was a compound presentation which just needed a little more time to stretch everything. If I had had the epidural I probably would have had 4th degree tears from pushing as hard as I could while laying on my back and not being able to feel it. By being natural, I was able to stop when my body told me to and get in the position for optimal delivery.

I trust my own body now. I somehow instinctually knew what I needed to do. It was amazing.

airexurb

Post by airexurb » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:16 pm

+5,000,000,000 to trusting your own body. All during my first labor, I knew it wasn't going to work. But I went along with it, on the off chance I was wrong...I wasn't. :| I could feel, even with the epidural, that nothing was progressing.

Which makes me SO glad I am done with the baby business! I don't even want to think of what would have happened without the hospital :shock:
"No I need it tomorrow."

Mojave

Post by Mojave » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:14 pm

Gonna chime in here, because the only two girl-specific items I use are barely touched on or not mentioned at all. First up, as far as urination goes: the pStyle. Stupid name aside (but then, most devices in the category have stupid names), this is my favorite in the field. It's less a funnel and more a half-tube, so it's extremely easy to get it to the right spot, even through bunches of layers of clothing. It can be used to do a scraping motion that makes toilet paper unneeded. It comes in colors that aren't pink. Otherwise, it's nothing super-special, but I thought I'd get it out there. Also, I didn't notice it mentioned here, but those long thin automotive funnels with the flexible spout used to be the thing to use - still worth keeping in mind, since they're a lot easier to find locally. Example that I'll link to instead of sticking in the middle of the thread since it's big: http://www.blitzusa.com/products/oil/Fu ... red%29.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Second and something I'm way more passionate about: Instead softcups. Admittedly, they're not for the End of the World, It's Never Gonna Be The Same. For the more likely mini-apocalypse of a few months to a year, though, I'd rather have nothing else (aside from maybe having been born a boy!) These are, at least to me, the ideal balance between the icky stuff traditional chicks use and the cups that have been discussed in this thread. They're individually packaged semi-reuseable (the package tells you to toss em after one use, but frankly, and I know this is way TMI, I used a single one of them during my entire three months at bootcamp. Obviously, I cleaned and sanitized the little bugger multiple times during that, but still) little plasticy disc/cups - but they're not designed like the normal menstrual cups. I'm not going to try to describe how they sit (if I recall, their website has pictures anyway), but the big important difference is that you can empty them out without removing them. That's right - sit down on your toilet (or squat over your hole, or whatever) and handle it just like you would if you were taking a piss old-school style. Then wipe off, zip up, and walk away. Actually removing them IS going to require handwashing, though. (Someone's going to ask me about combining these with funnels, I can feel it. Let me just say: I suppose in theory it should work. In practice, I've never tried it, and don't want bloody mess all over my funnel. My advice is to just save it till you have to squat to take a crap anyway.) I did have trouble with them leaking the first couple times I used them, but I know not why. Also, the website mentions you can get your lovin' on while wearing these, but I'll just say "Don't count on it." I can see it being possible for some people, but I know my personal anatomy just ain't set up to accommodate it. Your mileage and all that.
"You can't go around building a better world for people. Only people can build a better world for people. Otherwise it's just a cage."

strawberries&spiders
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead

Post by strawberries&spiders » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:07 am

I tried those Instead cups and they constantly leaked. I found out why when I got pregnant with my son. My uterus is tilted backwards so the cups never sit in the position they are suppose to bc my anatomy down there is backward. my OBGYN had a really hard time getting to my cervix every time I went in for a check-up. I had also wondered why wearing tampons hurt and it seems that is the reason. When I did go into labor, I insisted on birthing naturally but after 7 hours of pushing they told me I had to go in for a c section. His head was stuck going the wrong way and he was not coming out vaginally. I yelled at the nurses thru out the whole surgery telling them I did not want to be cut open, my baby needed to be born naturally. I ended up loosing so much blood that my skin was gray. They wanted to do a blood transfusion and I told them absolutely not. They said that if I had not improved my morning (this was at 7pm) they were going to have to. If I get pregnant in the PAW, I'm probably not going to make it unless I find a doctor and even then my chances are thin. I also worry about trying to use tampons or cups and pads I guess I would have to bury. Any thoughts on that?
Look, I don't want to make waves but, shouldn't we just take the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:43 pm

You know, the fact that you and the baby almost died is why "natural childbirth" is going out of style.

Lots of women died during childbirth before the advent of modern medicine.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:09 pm

They still do.
Giving birth is dangerous.
Even with modern methods women die in childbirth all the time. The U.S. is 39th in maternal deaths giving birth, and disgusting also for dead babies.
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Gua ... ic-001.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

ArtfulDodger

Post by ArtfulDodger » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:51 pm

crypto wrote:You know, the fact that you and the baby almost died is why "natural childbirth" is going out of style.

Lots of women died during childbirth before the advent of modern medicine.
A lot of those maternal deaths were caused not by natural child birth, but by malnutrition and the tiny spans of time between pregnancies that were common before the availability of reliable birth control.

Chantrea
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Uh...does Bubba Ho-Tep count? It's got Bruce Campbell in it!

Post by Chantrea » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:11 am

I don't think menstruation is going to be THAT big of a deal in the PAW. Modern "sanitary" menstrual products have not been around that long.

If it's really important for some reason not to bury one's pads or tampons, you could always burn them. (Hmm, well, maybe I wouldn't burn a disposable pad, actually)

I have been using cloth pads (not the SAME ones this whole time, don't worry) for almost 20 years now! And about 6ish years ago I started using the Diva Cup if I wanted to go swimming or was going to be doing something where pads were not practical.

Truly. It's not a big deal. You don't even have to have fancy pads, you can always sew your own (women have been doing that for hundreds of years). Most women don't lose a lot of blood during their periods. You can handwash pads easily if you need to. It's no more gross or unsanitary that washing your handkerchief or shirt after a bad nosebleed.

Like a PP, I have a retroflexed uterus, so things like Instead and menstrual cups that sit up closer to the cervix (like the Keeper or a cap) don't work for my body and tampons are extremely painful. The Diva sits pretty low in the vagina, so it's irrelevent where your cervix is.

I think that just like with disposable diapers, we are just culturally squeamish about those things and it feels like it is Very Important to figure out what would happen if suddenly we didn't have access to our huge assortment of "sanitary" products. But in reality...while some people might freak at first, in the grand scheme of things...so not going to be something that creates problems.

Chantrea
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Uh...does Bubba Ho-Tep count? It's got Bruce Campbell in it!

Post by Chantrea » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:20 am

ArtfulDodger wrote: A lot of those maternal deaths were caused not by natural child birth, but by malnutrition and the tiny spans of time between pregnancies that were common before the availability of reliable birth control.
And it's not like women and babies don't die/aren't severely damaged every day in this country due to hospital births as well.

My son almost died when he was 8 days old thanks to an infection in an IV site that was totally unnecessary (he never even got fluids from it, because he didn't need them--but putting in a hep lock thing was "standard procedure" for a cesarean birth). A good friend of mine suffered a stroke due to a blood clot at the site of her epidural. Another friend gave birth at the same hospital where, a couple of days later, medical staff gave a just born baby CO2 from a canister instead of the oxygen they thought they were administering.

Rarities? Yes. Rarer than childbirth back in the days when doctors thought that handwashing was a *Bad* thing? Hell yeah. But "modern medicine" fucks up too. And there *are* unnecessary interventions done in the name of $$, policy, ect, and you should always have someone there to advocate for you just like you would in any other hospital situation (Hey, it's a big place, sometimes people fall through the cracks. That happens with MRSA transmission, surgery mistakes, ect. It happens with hospital births as well.)

johnnycamp

Post by johnnycamp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:54 pm

Great thread, so much good info.

I had unassisted homebirths with my two daughters. I would say for a woman in labor in a PAW situation the best thing would be to let the woman stay in charge, keep her hydrated and comfortable, and stay positive. I'm not debating homebirth vs. hospital, there are volumns on the internet for that, we're talking zombies here folks, stay focused. :)

Some things to have in a birthing kit: (this would be good to give away in a PAW situation too.)
Clean towels, chux pads, or sheets.
plastic sheet (shower curtain liner, table cloth?)
metal scissors and cotton shoelace, can of sterno or other boiling method(for the cord)
Olive oil (streching vagina, sore nipples, and diaper rash)
recieving blankets, hat, cloth diapers with wool or nylon covers
I love the "plastic bag for placenta" idea from the kit mentioned earlier.
Heavy pads for post partum.
honey (in water during labor for energy and hydration)

Interesting info:
semen has hormones that help expand the cervix and stimulate labor. Sex is good until the water breaks.
peat moss was used traditionally as a diaper material.
The egyptions used small stones or lemon seeds in the uterus like an IUD.
I have heard you can use a breast pump for an abortion.

Please don't try this at home:)

Here is a great list of unassisted birth stories:
http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/ucstories/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mythic

Post by mythic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:20 am

great thread - women's health PAW is something I have a strong interest in, especially pregnancy/birth.

I've had three babes, one in hospital, two home waterbirths, all drug free and apart from a managed third stage (pulling the placenta out, which resulted in a haemorrage requiring synto) with the first birth, no medical interventions.

Pain during labour - if you can, keep upright. It helps move babe down, and makes your contractions more effective. Yes, that generally means more painful, but because it helps everything happen a little faster, then it's generally painful for less time :mrgreen: . Plus being upright means you can squat, sway, lean etc during contractions, helping you to focus through the hardest parts.

hot water - I spent the last part of my labours and births in a birthing pool. The hot (36-38C) water was really helpful for lower back and belly pain. If you aren't interested in being in a birthpool/bath/tub, then a shower can help there too.

Breathe. Breathe through the contractions for as long as you can, and if you need to vocalise through the contractions, make it more likea tiger growl than a scream. You get more "power" out of a growl than a scream.

Try different positions - usually you will automatically move about, shifting your hips, lifting you legs etc. Flat on your back is the worst position to birth a baby in, because you have the weight of the baby and contracting uterus on your spine, your pelvis is no longer able to flex and move to accomadate you babe moving through, and you have to go against gravity, pushing baby UP to get over your tailbone (which can no longer flex backwards and out of the way). If you need to lie down to rest, try lying on your left side, or perhaps flopping over a beanbag/pile of pillows.

If babe feels like they are getting a little stuck, change position. Sometimes all that is needed is to shift mum and babe a little, and the pelvis opens more or babe's shoulder shifts. Try kneeling with one leg up - this often helps move babes enough to be born without further help.

DON'T pull on the placenta or cut the cord (unless you cannot slide any cord loops over the babe's head of course). As babe gets cuddled by mum and suckles at the breast, hormones are stimulated to stop the blood flow through the placenta and the placenta starts to separate from the uterus. Pulling before the placenta is ready to be born greatly increases the chances of a bleed, and of having parts of the placenta retained. There will be a gush of blood as the placenta is born - this is normal, but keep an eye on things to make sure the bleeding stops.

It can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours for a placenta to come out. My last birth it was 1 1/2 hours. If you think the placenta is just inside the vagina but not coming out, get mum up and sit her on a padded bucket/bowl. Get her to stick her thumb in her mouth and blow around it, or blow over the top of a bottle - it can help a tired uterus finish pushing out the placenta. Sometimes just getting upright means gravity takes over :wink: Now you can clamp and cut the cord, unless mum plans to lotus birth (google is your friend).

check over the placenta to see if it looks whole. If it is, great, put the placenta back in the bowl and cover it with a clean towel till mum decides what to do with it. If it looks like there are peices missing, you will need to keep a very very close eye on mum, and get medical help asap. Retained placenta can cause serious infection very very quickly, not something to mess about with!!

If mum is still bleeding, see if she is open to swallowing a sliver of her (clean) placenta. I know that sounds really gross, but the hormones in the placenta can stimulate her body to stop bleeding. Why do you think most mammals eat their placenta? It's not just to regain precious nutrients, but to get that handy chemical cocktail :wink: There are other herbal rememdies to help with excessive bleeding, but a severe bleed requires immediate medical help.

Women used to die in childbirth not only because of complications, but also because of lack of hygiene before and after the birth, and a real understanding of the processes of birth. Women still die in childbirth for those reasons, and not only in developing countries.

The best thing you can do to help the women in your life (and yourself) have the best chance of surviving birth is to get educated about pregnancy and birth - Ina May Gaskin is good, also Shiela Kitzinger, Sarah Buckely, Dr Sears etc. And pass the info on. Hospital, home, birthing centre, doesn't matter, if you don't KNOW what is happening, you can't do shit about it.

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a midwife, or a doctor. I'm just a well read mother of three, who has attended other births, and intends to apprentice out as a traditional midwife when my youngest babes are a little older.

And damn, that was LONG :mrgreen: :oops:
Moar Zombie

Return to “First Aid”