It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:24 pm 

What an amazing thread :o
So much information and so little time... well, copping out reading all of it right now due to dyslexia anyway, that and it being O'dark hundred here in the UK.

I'm pleasantly surprised to have found such a female-centric subject going on here, it's hugely informative and given me quite a lot of stuff to think about. I have a "she-wee" and it's the reusable type which I have found quite useful. The material is hydrophobic so pretty much ends up dry when you give it a couple of flicks after use. I had to practice using it in the shower and found that it was far better when I was either shaved or cut very short down there... TMI? :?

Any, as a newbie I'm just saying thanks for all the info.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:47 pm 

airexurb wrote:
so I'm wondering....does anyone know anything about ovarian cysts? I apparently have a very large one.

We figured out what it was. So I thought I'd share

6. Pregnancy

Corpus Luteum

Quote:
The corpus luteum (Latin for "yellow body") (plural corpora lutea) is a temporary endocrine structure in mammals, involved in production of progestogen, which is needed to maintain the endometrium.....The corpus luteum is essential for establishing and maintaining pregnancy in females.

In the ovary, the corpus luteum secretes estrogens and progesterone, which are steroid hormones responsible for the thickening of the endometrium and its development and maintenance, respectively.

The corpus luteum secretes estrogen and progesterone that inhibit Luteinizing hormone and Follicle-stimulating hormone.

http://dictionary.webmd.com/terms/corpus-luteum
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ovarian-cysts/DS00129/DSECTION=causes
Basically, as I understand it. This type of cyst hangs around and supplies hormones till other things can get established. Then it just goes away.

"Well, I'm afraid I'm going to have to eat your penis then."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:09 pm 

I had a home delivery with out a doctor or a "real" midwife. Both my girlfriend and I read several books(Heart in Hands being the most useful) on the issues and tips on how to have a successfull home birth. In educating myself I was much more calm and prepared for the event. I did however, check with my OBGYN to make sure that myself and the baby were healthy enough to proceed. All the books I read pretty much covered all contingencies. I lived in a rural area of Northern AZ and frankly did not trust the hospital there. Everything went off without a hitch. The most important thing to focus on is keeping yourself and/or the mother calm. Yes it was painful but even more so when I got frazzled. All in all the most beautiful experience of my life. It can be done...birth is not a disease like hospitals make it out to be!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:50 pm 

2. Menstruation - For women who react poorly to foreign substances.
Warning: Contains anecdotal evidence.

Background: My body thinks pretty much everything is the enemy. I have to take daily steroid meds for allergies to be a functional human, have had my skin grow over gold (inert!) jewelry overnight, and have rejected sutures. It would be safe to say that foreign substances are met with resistance, regardless of their actual danger. If you have similar problems, I hope this helps.

Being on a monocyclic, low-dose birth control pill made my cramps tolerable. I was pretty much incapacitated for 5-6 days a month prior. (Other unwanted side effects from HBC, but cramps it helped.) But afterward I still popped Midol like clockwork every 4 hours, 2-3 days out of the month using disposable pads. I was never able to use tampons because I started showing symptoms of TSS any time I left one in for more than an hour. (Obviously a reaction, doubt a bacterial infection manifested in a single hour, on demand, multiple times.)

In the interests of conserving resources, I switched to a silicone menstrual cup about six months ago. I went with silicone straight off because I'd heard some people are allergic to rubber, and while I doubt I'm one of them I felt it best to start with the medically inert substance given my history. Everything was great. It was really comfortable and I could forget I had it in, apart from when I emptied it twice a day in the shower (for hygiene! I was being really careful here.) Pill popping went down to 1-2 days/month. But, when I went in for my annual exam, I had the first abnormal pap smear of my life. It was not HPV (been vaccinated, and they ran labwork). Went over everything that I might have altered with the GYN and, you guessed it, the only thing I'd changed was wearing the cup. It was* causing irritation and abnormal cell growth. So, that was out.
*Probably. Absence of any other changed environmental factor, but will go back in a few months to make sure it's not cancer (doubtful, pretty young with no family history.)

After that episode (2 months ago) I switched to cotton flannel pads. Holy cow, everyone and their mother is selling them now on etsy. I have never shown off *pads* before, but omg rocket ships! I called up my sister all "My pads are adorable!" and she thought I was insane. I only had to take 8 hours of meds last month, and only 1 dose this month, and my period only lasts 3 days (down from 4 on the cup and disposables) and heavy flow down from 3 to 1 day. The difference is great. I store the used ones in a ceramic canister full of cold water that I change at least once daily until I'm ready to do a load of wash (not more than 3 days.) Doesn't smell or anything. It weirded out my SO until he figured out it was one day less a month I had to wear pants to bed. :lol:

Anyhow, if your immune system is as screwed up as mine is, you might want to carefully monitor the effects of a menstrual cup, and lay off the disposables because of the chemicals. I'm a scientist and like to see peer-reviewed statistically-sound studies, but I figure subjects allergic to their homeworld are probably in short supply. Thanks so much to all the contributors in this thread--I never even thought to look for alternatives before I'd read here. Your experience bought me 3 days less pain, freed up $10 a month from painkillers, and less trash in a landfill. Win-win-win. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:08 pm 

Fantastic thread.

2. Menstruation

Thought I'd mention that my wife uses cloth pads and/or a diva cup during her period. Care for the diva cup is pretty simple...she washes it with soap and water after emptying and boils it for 20 minutes after her period is over before storing it for next month.

She also stated that she had a bit of a learning curve with the diva cup...it took her 3-4 months before she really got the feel for how it fit in her body.

6. Pregnancy

I'm a firm believer that normal birth (sans complications) is not a medical emergency that requires hospital care...my wife gave birth to our son at home with assistance from me and a midwife.

The ZS Wiki (Good place to start for common subjects)
ZSC:028 - Central Maryland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:31 am 

Persistent Nomad wrote:
I'm a firm believer that normal birth (sans complications) is not a medical emergency that requires hospital care...my wife gave birth to our son at home with assistance from me and a midwife.

Brilliant! Do you have any advice or stories to share, both for pregnant women and their partners? I fancy the idea of home births, but I'm also quite nervous about the idea of giving birth at all (lucky I'm not pregnant yet, eh?). I have a feeling they're trying to make home births illegal over here, too. Grrr. Must look that up, actually.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:59 pm 

Kaylan wrote:
Persistent Nomad wrote:

Brilliant! Do you have any advice or stories to share, both for pregnant women and their partners? I fancy the idea of home births, but I'm also quite nervous about the idea of giving birth at all (lucky I'm not pregnant yet, eh?). I have a feeling they're trying to make home births illegal over here, too. Grrr. Must look that up, actually.

Hm...advice. First and foremost, educate yourself! There is a lot of information out there that has alternative views to the way we commonly view childbirth and pregnancy. The idea of a woman intentionally giving birth to a child outside of a hospital was really, really alien to me 6-7 years ago. Birth happened in a hospital...or in a car on the way to the hospital. That's how I saw it on TV :oops:

Suggested web sites (from my wife and I):

http://www.waterbirth.org
http://www.birthintobeing.com
http://www.mothering.com
http://www.hypnobabies.com

In particular, I like what Marsden Wagner, MD has to say on the subject of birth.
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/bio/default.asp?name=wagner

Seems to me governments want to make all sorts of things illegal in a vain attempt to "protect" people. I'd do your research and find out what the legal particulars surrounding birth and midwives are in your part of the world. Here in the US of A the laws vary from state to state. I try not to make assumptions on what can easily be determined as fact.

As for being nervous about birth, that's understandable, especially because (in my view) a lot of women associate it primarily with pain. My wife views the birth of our son (which took 33 hours) as intense and, at times, uncomfortable, but not painful. She looks forward to the next time and considers giving birth to be the most empowering experience of her life.

Your body is made for the job.

And don't forget the importance of the machine that goes "ping!" :D
The Miracle of Birth...sort of

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:08 pm 

I believe one of the reasons that many places make laws about this is that if there is a complication the mother may not have time to get to a hospital in time to save her and the baby. You have to remember that one of the main reasons for women's deaths before hospitals was childbirth.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:15 pm 

Your wife didn't consider childbirth painful?!?

The cervix dilates like this:

If you were just passing a soft bowel movement that size it would hurt like heii.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:00 pm 

Heart and Hands is the book I mainly read. It is actually a midwife hand guide. And yes it hurts...and yes there are risks involved. You MUST consult your prenadal physician before planning a home birth, and even then there can be major or even fatal incident. The one thing I stayed focused on was the amount of birth trauma a child encounters when uneccessary procedures are performed. a lot of hospitals these days are a little more friendly in easing the child in the process before and after birth. Laboyeur (sp?) baths are also quite fantastic for the child as well. That being said I can hear a moderator reading this saying "this is an irrealevant piece of this thread...home birth has nothing to do with a PAW situation" so maybe this discussion should be moved to its own topic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:19 pm 

There are many hospitals, now, that will do a more "natural" child birth in their own facility, with the typical water-birth method, using mainly mid-wives.

One of the major hospitals in the city is popular for being a super mom-favored hospital to the point of being termed a "feminazi camp" oh so endearingly... mainly by fathers who've tried to actually be there for their child's birth.

I'm not saying that is at all a symptom of natural or water-births... just that hospital.

Ok, rambling... anyways, point is... check out a variety of hospitals around, they may have the facilities to accommodate one of the more calm natural processes like a water birth, but still be in a facility that can take over if something -does- go wrong, or if there -is- a complication.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:20 pm 

TheZedWord17 wrote:
That being said I can hear a moderator reading this saying "this is an irrealevant piece of this thread...home birth has nothing to do with a PAW situation" so maybe this discussion should be moved to its own topic.

I think the two are indirectly related, but agree that they are different enough to merit a new thread.

Would anything close to either modern hospital births or modern home births be available in a PAW? I personally don't think so.

Post subject: Menstruation
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:59 pm 

I've tried the DivaCup before and I would have liked it, but it applied too much pressure on my insides and that stick at the end bothered me when I was sitting and standing. I hope to get used to it if ever I need to, but for now, I just can't do it.

Then someone introduced me to the Instead Soft Cup. http://www.softcup.com/
They're not reusable, but the shape and the design is comfortable enough to fit in there without giving you much discomfort, and as long as you're not scared to get up close and personal with your good parts, they're easy to insert and remove (or if you're feeling a bit icky about it you can always used an exam glove, or the butt end of a pen). They're comfortable to move around in, there's no weird shift when standing and sitting, and they keep good suction in there, and you almost can't feel them.

It's still the same 12 hour limit as with other menstrual cups, but there will never be anything that'll just store it all for the whole 3-8 days so that's not bad. Also with me personally, where the rim pushes against my pubic mound in the back helps relieve some of the pressure and cramping on the first day (well at least that's what I think anyway).

I absolutely love them, and you can find them at almost any Walgreens.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:03 pm 

ZombieGranny wrote:
Your wife didn't consider childbirth painful?!?

The cervix dilates like this:

If you were just passing a soft bowel movement that size it would hurt like heii.

Some women don't get it as bad as others. I had a coworker who said that the second child was painful as hell, but her first one she didn't feel much of anything. Pain varies from person to person, and maybe some babies fight a little harder to stay in there. :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:05 pm 

phil_in_cs wrote:
My wife's solution to the birth control issue was to get me fixed.

I like this idea!!!

Besides I think My husband and I both would have to get fixed! BC and Condoms DONT work for me! Lol I have back luck!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:54 pm 

my wife is going to school to be come a Naturopath (entering her 5th year at Bastyr) and a midwife. I'll see if she has anything to say.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:50 pm 

Last edited by JTNieman on Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:57 pm 

Bastyr University, Seattle, WA. an accredited private institution, internationally recognized as a pioneer in the study of natural healing.
We'll be interested in hearing from her.
-
-
Please don't fill up this thread with off topic; there is only one thread about women's issues but an entire forum for off topic.
Thank you.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:52 pm 

Pregnancy / child birth

I'm a guy, hope you gals don't mind. Wife and I had all four at home, no doctor, no meds.

Emergency Child Birth by Gregory White used to be the bible for no doctor / no hospital deliveries.
It was also used back in the day a field guide type instruction book for ambulance drivers, fire, police, med corps and etc. It's short, simple and to the point. Will handle probably 99% of what may come.

A lot of complications are caused by doctor / hospital.
Fetal monitor, restricted movement, meds, demands made to accommodate staff and not the mom & baby etc. Let the woman deliver like a woman not a lab rat and many things are already taken care of. Pregnant women are not sick, ill, patients or clients, they are soon to be moms.
Let freedom ring ladies :)

Something as simple as changing position during labor can drastically improve labor and delivery.

Good luck ladies.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:39 pm 

Aside from the health issues women must face naturally and regularly on their own, How about a simple solution? SELF CONTROL, and EVERYONE keep their pants on. In a real shtf situation that is the only way I would go. Naughty bits are a no-fly zone. Done and done. THAT and MANY other issues solved. There would be far more pressing matters to attend to. In ANY Apocalyptic scenario, WHY would anyone consider procreation (or many other far less polite terms?) Seriously. I STILL don't understand anyone who keeps plumbing the same types of wells over and over and keep complaining that there is an issue. If you have been in a wreck, and see it happening again, do you hit the gas or the brake? Or do you keep bitching about it all being the other driver's fault? WHILE hitting the gas yourself?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:55 pm 

Regent X wrote:
Aside from the health issues women must face naturally and regularly on their own, How about a simple solution? SELF CONTROL, and EVERYONE keep their pants on. In a real shtf situation that is the only way I would go. Naughty bits are a no-fly zone. Done and done. THAT and MANY other issues solved. There would be far more pressing matters to attend to. In ANY Apocalyptic scenario, WHY would anyone consider procreation (or many other far less polite terms?) Seriously. I STILL don't understand anyone who keeps plumbing the same types of wells over and over and keep complaining that there is an issue. If you have been in a wreck, and see it happening again, do you hit the gas or the brake? Or do you keep bitching about it all being the other driver's fault? WHILE hitting the gas yourself?

So you're advocation "self control" forever? What if things happen where doctors are unavailable for an extended period? We should all just invest in chastity belts and hope for the best?

"Well, I'm afraid I'm going to have to eat your penis then."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:33 pm 

This is a thread to discuss women's health issues.

HOW a woman gets pregnant; either on purpose, by accident or forcibly is NOT the purpose of this thread.

How to deal with that does have it's place here, among the other strictly female health issues.
---
---
I see your post as spam, Regent X - trying to goad other posters into fighting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:12 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Regent X wrote:

3.) No trolling or flaming.
This is obvious, but still needs to be said. We encourage discussion and disagreement; we encourage calling someone on their bullshit. We don’t encourage assholes. Please be constructive with your criticism if at all possible.

Regent X, consider this an official warning.

This is a thread about women's health issues. Being as you don't have anything constructive to add to the discussion, you might want to hold your tongue in here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:52 pm 

Ladies, I have a few questions.

My mother had a hysterectomy when she was 23 Years old. Since the planning for emergencies has fallen to me (my mother is a bit unstable mentally), I'm at a complete loss as to how I should prepare for when she inevitably runs out of Premarin in the PAW. Should I treat the problem the same way I would treat menopausal issues? Are there complications that I need to consider? How should I prepare for this?

And thanks for any responses.

Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next