Grifter's Aid Bag

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:20 pm

Impressive. Most impressive.

I am gonna start looking into one dedicated aid bag. My stuff is kinda spread all over.

Thanks for the thread , I will be checking back for info and inspiration

:D
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:54 pm

*New Addition*

Benchmade Rescue Hook that I attached to the Nalgen pouch. If you get the chance, I recommend picking one up. They are awesome.

-NREMT-P
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

burnout

Post by burnout » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:58 pm

I thought ACS was an Asherman Chest Seal?

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:14 pm

burnout wrote:I thought ACS was an Asherman Chest Seal?
It is, but QuickClot also calls its newest Generation of cooler working agents a "QuickClot ACS" which if I am not mistaken stands for "Advanced Clotting Sponge".
-NREMT-P
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:59 am

burnout wrote:I thought ACS was an Asherman Chest Seal?
see page 1...

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu May 01, 2008 7:52 pm

Grif have you tried out your 7hook yet?

I haven't used it on a patient yet (thankfully) but I did use it to cut a pair of jeans off for fun. Took about 3 seconds from start to finish.

zXzGrifterzXz

Re:

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:04 pm

Gunny wrote:Grif have you tried out your 7hook yet?

I haven't used it on a patient yet (thankfully) but I did use it to cut a pair of jeans off for fun. Took about 3 seconds from start to finish.
Yeah, took an old pair of utilities and turned them into shorts with it. It works awesome. :D

My only complaint is that when using the hook the fabric/material you are cutting needs to have some light tension on it which makes using the hook a 2 hand job to work quickly. Where as my Rescue Shears can be used one hand without too much trouble. Though the greatly increased service life of the Hook makes it a better option in my opinion.
-NREMT-P
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

zXzGrifterzXz

Re: Grifter's Aid Bag

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:25 pm

Update: Was reorganizing my closet this past week and decided it was a good opportunity to check dates on all my meds and perishables in this bag. The old school Quickclot packs expire this month. Need to put in an order for some more Quickclot ACS to replace them.
-NREMT-P
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

exon111

Post by exon111 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:10 pm

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:Update: Was reorganizing my closet this past week and decided it was a good opportunity to check dates on all my meds and perishables in this bag. The old school Quickclot packs expire this month. Need to put in an order for some more Quickclot ACS to replace them.
Why quickclot ACS? QuickClot < Celox < Woundstat

I don't have any woundstat yet, but supposedly it's the new latest greatest as far as hemostatics go.

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:11 pm

exon111 wrote:Why quickclot ACS? QuickClot < Celox < Woundstat

I don't have any woundstat yet, but supposedly it's the new latest greatest as far as hemostatics go.
Which usually means it is also expensive as hell.
-NREMT-P
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:38 pm

I think wound stat is about 39 a bag.

exon111

Post by exon111 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:38 pm

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:
exon111 wrote:Why quickclot ACS? QuickClot < Celox < Woundstat

Which usually means it is also expensive as hell.
Celox is fairly cheap, why not look at that? It may be slightly inferior to WS, but it's better than QC.

autolex
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (remake), 28 Days Later.

Post by autolex » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:23 pm

exon111 wrote:Celox is fairly cheap, why not look at that? It may be slightly inferior to WS, but it's better than QC.
WoundStat also got pulled from military use (pending investigation) because it was causing TOO MUCH clotting (and damaging blood vessels)...

I think I am going to stick with Celox/Celox-A (probably a pair of Celox-A and few regular Celox in my main FAK, single Celox-A and two regular celox in my camelbak FAK)
Resident Computer Nerd/Autocrosser Extraordinaire/Mechanical Engineer

nathat

Post by nathat » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:13 pm

bump for a great aid bag.

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:33 pm

Realized that the list in the original post is a little out of date. I will have to re-write it when I get the chance. But just as a quick note, I added a few things like BP cuff, stethoscope, a Glucose-meter(w test strips & lancets), a small sharps container, a roll of glucose tablets, 2 x tubes of glucose gel, a handfull of foil packets of chewable Asprin (324mg), and a couple of disposable pen lights. I think I put more in there but I can't remember off the top of my head.
nathat wrote:bump for a great aid bag.
Thank you, I think it works well and it's not too bad to wear all day either.
-NREMT-P
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:56 pm

Grifter, what's the purpose again? Exactly?.....Did you just get your Basic? Sorry, been traveling.....There are a few things, first off, Do what JIM says. Second, talk more when I get situated and have net time.

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:14 pm

IANMCDEVITT wrote:Grifter, what's the purpose again? Exactly?.....Did you just get your Basic? Sorry, been traveling.....There are a few things, first off, Do what JIM says. Second, talk more when I get situated and have net time.
This bag fills a lot of roles. It comes with me when I go out into the desert to go shooting, it comes with me on group hikes, it comes with me when we go camping, when we are on roadtrips, it pretty much comes with me just about any time I will be away from immediate and accessible emergency medical care and I feel the small jump kit I have in my vehicle wouldn't be enough. All in all, it works well as an aidbag for a 5-10 person group. Yes, I did just get my EMT, so I am official now but I have had a fair amount of first responder and wilderness med training, just sadly it has all been unofficial up until this point.
-NREMT-P
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

Sojourner1104

Post by Sojourner1104 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:12 pm

Sir,
Respectfully, you have a definitive aid bag, my question would be who is carrying your equipment? In a "Z"pocolyse how is it that your rig will be useful unless it is deployed with a fully functional platoon platform? Once again respectfully with the rig you have depicted there is not a lot of room for your own survival gear.
What would you recommend as to a personal or fire team sized aid bag?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke

imweasel

Post by imweasel » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:24 pm

Where the heck did you get the smoke grenade? Isn't most of that stuff sold LE only?

Forgive my noobness...

smgeaghan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later & Zombieland

Post by smgeaghan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:48 pm

That is an awesome aid bag, I am totally jealous of it. I wish mine could be that good! Great job
ZS Fleet #0481

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:48 pm

imweasel wrote:Where the heck did you get the smoke grenade? Isn't most of that stuff sold LE only?

Forgive my noobness...
in 2014 they are, yes. 5-6 years ago when this thread was made, no, anyone could buy smoke canisters.

What changed was that ATF became concerned that the fuze assembly (M201A1) in it could be used to make a very reliable trigger for explosives or other nefarious pyrotechnics , and classified the fuze in the same category as other ignitors like electric matches. You have to either have permits for them, or buy on LEO letterhead.

http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/d ... 5400-7.pdf
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Sojourner1104 wrote:Sir,
Respectfully, you have a definitive aid bag, my question would be who is carrying your equipment? In a "Z"pocolyse how is it that your rig will be useful unless it is deployed with a fully functional platoon platform? Once again respectfully with the rig you have depicted there is not a lot of room for your own survival gear.
Not to sound cocky but the answer to that is "Me", I'm training to be a Firefighter so I am no stranger to carrying a heavy pack & equipment. For my group of friends and family I fill the role of a team "medic", so this would be the bag I would normally have with me in any sort of PAW level event or major disaster. As well as when we are out as a group hiking, shooting in the desert, camping, etc..... In my opinion, this is a Squad sized kit, a platoon to me is 20-30 people.

If need arises, The bag itself can easily piggyback onto the large ALICE pack which is my main bugout bag but unless I am hoofing it on foot, that ALICE pack will be in a vehicle with the rest of the gear and this aid bag would be the normal bag on my back while moving with my group. Everything else I would need that isn't specific medical gear would be on my person or in my fighting gear.
Sojourner1104 wrote:What would you recommend as to a personal or fire team sized aid bag?
For a person of what level of training and what purpose?
-NREMT-P
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

Sojourner1104

Post by Sojourner1104 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:34 am

Not to sound cocky but the answer to that is "Me", I'm training to be a Firefighter so I am no stranger to carrying a heavy pack & equipment. For my group of friends and family I fill the role of a team "medic", so this would be the bag I would normally have with me in any sort of PAW level event or major disaster. As well as when we are out as a group hiking, shooting in the desert, camping, etc..... In my opinion, this is a Squad sized kit, a platoon to me is 20-30 people.

You do not come off cocky at all. You addressed all expressed concerns adequately. Agreed, a platoon sized group would be 20-30 people. You also addressed my final question that in your opinion your rig is sized for a squad (10-15 people). The level of training and experience would be above basic Army/military first aid training and below that of an EMT. Purpose general survival in a PAW mobile setting. That being said I would include a lot of aspirin, neosporin and super glue.

Not every group will be lucky enough to have someone like you.

Thank you
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:21 pm

Sojourner1104 wrote:The level of training and experience would be above basic Army/military first aid training and below that of an EMT. Purpose general survival in a PAW mobile setting. That being said I would include a lot of aspirin, neosporin and super glue.
There are some great threads in the First Aid section that have good packing lists for Personal firstaid/blowout kits but this is what everyone in my family/group has at the very least in their personal kit:

- Trauma Shears
- 'CAT' Tourniquet
- 1 or 2 Izzy Bandages
- 2 or 3 Rolls of Kerlix Gauze
- Chest seal or some kind of occlusive dressing
- Small roll of medical tape/Duct tape
- 2 or 3 pairs of Nitrile Gloves
Sojourner1104 wrote:Not every group will be lucky enough to have someone like you.
I appreciate that but stick around the First Aid Section, there are some great professionals here with amazing amounts of knowledge. I learn something new literally every time I spend time reading old threads in this section.
Sojourner1104 wrote:Thank you
You're Welcome.
-NREMT-P
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

Return to “First Aid”