Cold pack activating itself

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ershin

Cold pack activating itself

Post by Ershin » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:55 am

So I went hiking with my wife recently, and took a first aid kit along (in a condor emt rip-away), which included one of those instant cold packs. Fortunately, I had no call to use it, as I opened up the kit to make some changes the other day to find it had gone off in the bag.

It was pretty full, but it wasn't straining at the seams or anything, so I'm a little unsure if it was just a fluke, or what. For the record it was sitting right at the top of my pack and wasn't subjected to a rough time or anything, so I suspect it was bag pressure. Anyone else have any problems with this sort of thing? Or had a problem and found a way to prevent it?

I figure of the -likely- medical problems we might encounter an ankle sprain is pretty high on the list, so I'm keen to keep at least one with us, but at the moment I guess I'd just have to put it separately in the pack.
Last edited by Ershin on Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Cold pack activating itself

Post by NT2C » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:06 am

Try putting the cold pack in a hard shell container. Even a cheap, disposable plastic sandwich container should provide significant protection.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Ershin

Post by Ershin » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:42 pm

I could do that if it ends up separate, but I think that would stop it fitting in the FAK itself, at least with how full it is.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:51 pm

If your FAK is that tightly packed then it's no wonder it activated.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Ershin

Post by Ershin » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:12 pm

I don't think its all that bad, it just seems like a hard case (which would have to be 3 x 15 x 15 cm-ish) would take up a lot more room than the cold pack itself. The things aren't all that uniform after all, and thats assuming I can find a case that fits it without being too generous.

That said, no harm in trying, I'll see if I can find a case lying around.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:09 pm

I've had a instant ice pack activate itself, was located in the corner of a trauma bag and got bumped. I've also had one go off, in its box, on a shelf...turns out there was a bad batch.
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:54 pm

Ershin wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:12 pm
I don't think its all that bad, it just seems like a hard case (which would have to be 3 x 15 x 15 cm-ish) would take up a lot more room than the cold pack itself. The things aren't all that uniform after all, and thats assuming I can find a case that fits it without being too generous.

soap case maybe, should be about the right size, yet still small...
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:04 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:54 pm
Ershin wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:12 pm

soap case maybe, should be about the right size, yet still small...
Depends on the ice pack. Some of the bigger ones wouldn't fit that.

CG

Post by CG » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:42 pm

Hard drive case should be about right, I think.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:02 am

Rather than a hard case would buble wrap work? Takes up less space and could be used (with tape) as padding etc.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

Ershin

Post by Ershin » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:02 pm

Alright, so I feel a bit silly, but I have been unable to find any appropriately sized hard containers. I will try to remember to have a look next time I go to IKEA.

Since the brand was mentioned, the packs I'm using are the koolpak compact.
taipan821 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:09 pm
I've had a instant ice pack activate itself, was located in the corner of a trauma bag and got bumped. I've also had one go off, in its box, on a shelf...turns out there was a bad batch.
You know what, I have two in the house - I might take one separately AND put one in the FAK next time we go, just to test. I'll report back if I actually remember to test it.
K9medic wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:02 am
Rather than a hard case would buble wrap work? Takes up less space and could be used (with tape) as padding etc.
I don't think that would work, on the grounds I suspect confining pressure, rather than point stress, because of how It was packed.

madoka

Post by madoka » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:05 pm

It may not have been pressure that did it.

I had a cold pack burst open while lying out by itself and the contents went everywhere. I make sure to keep them in plastic bags now in case they spontaneously burst.

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:21 pm

Don't suppose you remember the date on the pack ?
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

BitGid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil dead

Post by BitGid » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:08 am

2 of the 6 packet that I bought 1 week ago have turn to liquid after putting them into my gym bag. I never had a chance to use them. I'm not sure how well the other 4 work as I haven't had a need to use them yet, but given the experience currently I don't have faith that they will be usable in an emergency.

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:18 pm

Why is that essential again? The cold pack?............If there's a possible ankle sprain, ideally, you want someone to self-ambulate and keep their boot on till the trail head, I mean if it's a one day hike. It's safer for the team and them if they can walk out with a walking stick. If you have to stop and remove his/her boot? They probably require a full assessment....I'd just find a stream, dunk a T-shirt, if you already have the boot off and the foot elevated, wrap it in the T-shirt and take a few minutes, drink some water and think it through. Then Ace wrap, if you have too, remove the laces and see if they can put their foot back in the boot (probably not). I hand out literally hundreds of those endothermic ice packs from all brands and they are crap. God help you if it bursts and the chemicals contaminate the rest of your gear. The ice packs on the market are invariably crap. They have either "self-activated" or last only about 10 minutes. That's only from hiking around Africa for the last 9 years, so take it or leave it.

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:39 pm

Cut open the coldpack: throw away the small inner water pouch. Seal the remaining contents into a seperate ziplock/aloksak.

When you need to use it: open ziplock & just add some water. And no chance of accidental activation. :wink:

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:21 pm

There you go man, right there............thanks Jim. Still alive, huh? Good for you Brother. Me too.

abelru

Post by abelru » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Consider ditching them altogether as well (although removing the water pack is inspired)

As far as FAK items go, the cold pack might very well be the rock in my shoe, the thorn in my side, etc., etc.

Ice is helpful. Ice can be great for treating the associated sequellae of musculoskeletal trauma. But ice packs? I think they’re designed by the same dude who made single-ply toilet paper. Total sadist.
Orbes volantes exstare!!!

Return to “First Aid”