Training Opportunity

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

VXMerlinXV

Training Opportunity

Post by VXMerlinXV » Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 am

Hey guys,
Weekend long Wilderness Med training coming up in Jersey in September.

Topics include:

Bleeding Control (BCON)

Participants will learn the basics of bleeding control that can be used to save lives during traumatic events. Tourniquet application, wound packing, and pressure dressings will be taught and practiced by students on bleeding and training simulators. A BCON certificate will be issued to participants that complete the session.

NRA Home Firearms Safety
Instructor: Cameron Green

This combined class will allow students teach how to unload and make safe various types of firearms such as revolvers, semi automatic handguns, rifles, and shot guns.

Students who meet the qualifications will receive the NRA Home Fire Arms Safety certifications.

Fire arms and ammunition will be provided and are included in registration. OUTSIDE FIRE ARMS AND AMMUNITION ARE NOT PERMITTED.

High Angle Rescue
Instructor: Dave Bell & Matt Heston

Introduction into repelling and an overview of high angle rescue. Students will receive a safety briefing, learn how to secure a patient for high angle extrication, assessment, field treatment, and extrication of injured patients that have fallen from heights. Students will need to improvise splinting and litters to transport patients. Students can put into practice what they learn by rappelling off of the 60 foot tower.

Tactical Practicals

Practice of Tactical Combat Casualty Care and patient assessment practiced in low light environments using chem lights, no light environments using night vision goggles, and cumbersome level B hazmat suits.

An overview of body armor, gear bags, and IFAK kits will be displayed and explained.

*Participants must have completed a prior BCON session or have a certification in TECC/TCCC/BCON prior to attending this session

W.E.T. Medicine: Wilderness / Environmental / Tropical
Instructor: Dr Thomas

Students will learn about altitude disorders, mammal and marine life animal injuries and envenomation, cold, heat, lightning strike emergencies, vector borne illnesses, motion sickness

Wound Care and Suture Lab
Instructor: Dr Bartamus

Care and treatment of soft tissue injuries. When to close a wound, when not to close a wound; when is appropriate to use butterfly bandages, wound glue, sutures, skin staples, or just let it go; indications of antibiotics; and care of infected wounds. Participants will be able to practice the skills on training devices.

Wilderness Survival

Water purification, food safety, fire and shelter building

Check it out:

http://snjemsc.com/aems/
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

SteelWolf

Re: Training Opportunity

Post by SteelWolf » Sat May 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Great opportunity for those in Jersey!
TEMS / Flight Paramedic. NRP, FP-C, TP-C.
OIF / OEF Combat Veteran
Owner / Chief Instructor of Archangel Dynamics, LLC. Come visit us for all of your Medical Preparedness needs!
Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Hey Guys,
Got back after a very soggy weekend, but learned a ton. Here's a quick overview:

NRA Home Firearms Safety
Instructor: Cameron Green

Great class. Learned unloading process on more than two dozen guns, from blackpowder on up. Also fired a variety of weapons, looking at the difference between pistol rounds, rifle, and various shotgun loadings. Definitely worth while just for basic weapons familiarity.

High Angle Rescue
Instructor: Dave Bell & Matt Heston

This is where I pushed myself. I don't like heights, and rappelling in the rain was a challenge for me. Wound up with a High Angle awareness level cert, which will be nice if I get the opportunity to take a tech/operations level course

Tactical Practicals

This wound up as a combo low light/no light workshop as well as a low access scenario (pt's trapped in rubble, and only asses the parts you can see or visualize with a fiber optic camera). Terrific training, went through chem lights, NVG's and complete blackout, which all represented interesting challenges. Intubated through a pair of NVG's, which took some serious effort. Getting TQ's on in darkness is something I have done before, but assessing their effectiveness without visualization is nothing I ever tried. Wound packing is also equally difficult like this.

Wound Care and Suture Lab
Instructor: Dr Bartamus

Terrific training, informative lecture, hands on portion was thorough.

All in all well worth it. A bit of down time in the evenings, which was fine, but I would definitely pack a book next time (lousy cell reception in camp). A lot of good conversations, and attendees included reps from a variety of EMS groups, hospitals, rescue companies, and medical professionals. Food was good, and coffee was available at almost any time.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:47 am

The Tactical Practical's sound like it was more of a technical rescue ? If it was Tech Rescue, I 'll bet you know the gear and threat are extremely different. What stage of care did they say you were entering in ? What type of NOD's did you use and was their any coverage of SELF AID - BUDDY AID - MEDIC AID ? I'm thinking if it was a Tactical scenario they gave you, the TQ ideally would have been on prior to your contact. In which case, when it's your turn to brief (in Tactical Medicine ), just tell them to place the tourniquet as high as possible and AS TIGHT AS POSSIBLE, so you being able to assess blood loss would be moot. You could go directly for the tourniquet and before MOVING ANYONE, tighten the shit out of it. Your assessment of their blood loss would affect their responsiveness (you could tie it to that), so you get your friggin head down there in the patients ear, grab their hand, speak and squeeze to communicate. Sounds like a good class though. I'm kind of Anti-suturing in the field. The % of infection is through the roof.

Return to “First Aid”