First aid kit for a dog?

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

First aid kit for a dog?

Post by moab » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:04 pm

What should be in it? And what double duty stuff do we already carry?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Last of the Mohicans, Caddyshack

Re: First aid kit for a dog?

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:46 pm

Good question. This seems to be a pretty extensive list: http://www.happypreppers.com/Prepping-for-dogs.html
but I don't see anything that really stands out as being different from what you might already carry. I had a dog that would have been perfect for the PAW. She was a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. She died at the age of 14. That was almost 13 years ago now and I still can sometimes feel that big old head resting on my leg. If society went down hill fast, I 'd have a pair of dogs pretty quick from somewhere. Probably not cats though. They are too destructive on all local small game. Devastating in fact. Besides, if you maintain a habitable area, they will find you and just move in.

Also, ever notice how anything you search for that involves "prepping or survival" is only two clicks away from Amazon dot com or maybe another retailer? Even sites where people offer friendly suggestions seems to be overly hyperlinked these days.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:12 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:Good question. This seems to be a pretty extensive list: http://www.happypreppers.com/Prepping-for-dogs.html

Also, ever notice how anything you search for that involves "prepping or survival" is only two clicks away from Amazon dot com or maybe another retailer? Even sites where people offer friendly suggestions seems to be overly hyperlinked these days.

Affiliate linking. If you follow the link from that friendly suggestion and buy said product via the link the OP gets a tiny slice of the pie. It's how a lot of bloggers/content creators get their money.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Last of the Mohicans, Caddyshack

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:30 am

Thanks. I understand what the A.L. is and the basic essentials of monetizing a blog or website but they seem especially or exceedingly bountiful when one types the word "survival" or "preps," like a Boolean binary that instead of using true and false values instead ask if you is at amazon dot com or you isn't. At any rate, much closer than your relationship to Kevin Bacon.
Henry David Thoreau

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:42 am

Benadryl - for bee stings or loud noises
Curlix wrap and some gauze bandages
One of those socks the dryer didn't eat
Muzzle (not really a first aid item - but might be necessary to render aid)
Tweezers or tick tool
Pliers (think fishing hook)
Hydrogen peroxide (to cause vomit - NOT wound cleansing)
Tony D

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:43 pm

tony d tiger wrote:Benadryl - for bee stings or loud noises
Curlix wrap and some gauze bandages
One of those socks the dryer didn't eat
Muzzle (not really a first aid item - but might be necessary to render aid)
Tweezers or tick tool
Pliers (think fishing hook)
Hydrogen peroxide (to cause vomit - NOT wound cleansing)
Great info, thx for sharing the info on the H2O2
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:03 pm

Battery powered clippers that are quiet, a basket muzzle so the dog can pant. Learn front leg access and external jugulars. Then, some telazol, dipravan, .9NS and some catheters with a drip set. Learn a modified Robert Jones dressing...Don't even attempt to touch the dog without the owner or handler. Unless it's unresponsive, then you may have to ventilate it. Dogs are intubated with the laryngascope upside down from humans. Your gonna need someone to hold the tongue out while you tube them.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:36 pm

IANMCDEVITT wrote:Battery powered clippers that are quiet, a basket muzzle so the dog can pant. Learn front leg access and external jugulars. Then, some telazol, dipravan, .9NS and some catheters with a drip set. Learn a modified Robert Jones dressing...Don't even attempt to touch the dog without the owner or handler. Unless it's unresponsive, then you may have to ventilate it. Dogs are intubated with the laryngascope upside down from humans. Your gonna need someone to hold the tongue out while you tube them.
Are you a vet? Thats some interesting knowledge. I might take a pet first aid class someday.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:49 am

My local hunting shop had a cool one for pig dogs. Even had the stitches stapler thing.

I was going to buy one for myself.

https://www.huntinghaven.com.au/p/ridge ... t/RLAFADOG

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:56 am

nope. I have a Degree in Vet Medicine. Just treated a lot of dogs............hate cats, sorry.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Second the H2O2, used that last Spring on our puppy that ate a (large) mushroom while we were out hiking in the woods. Works fast, and didn't cause her any distress after vomiting it up.
IANMCDEVITT wrote:nope. I have a Degree in Vet Medicine. Just treated a lot of dogs............hate cats, sorry.

:D

"modified Robert Jones dressing" you say? Looking that up, thanks.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:51 pm

Asymetryczna wrote: If society went down hill fast, I 'd have a pair of dogs pretty quick from somewhere. Probably not cats though. They are too destructive on all local small game. Devastating in fact. Besides, if you maintain a habitable area, they will find you and just move in.
We have a pair of each. The alarm function on the canine units seems to be stuck at either "constant" or "off". With the felines however, we could subsist on a diet of headless robins and disemboweled voles that are left regularly at the doorstep
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:22 am

Yoss - funny because I know it's true.

FWIW: Free download on pet CPZR and 1st aid on other link - powered by Chicago Zombie!

One Smart Pooch's Pet CPR & First-Aid: Cats and Dogs
by Dana Ortiz

(77 pages)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0191 ... ntagged-20
Henry David Thoreau

SteelWolf

Post by SteelWolf » Tue May 01, 2018 12:36 am

I have a few H&H K-9 Trauma Kits in stock!
Contents:

-SWAT-T Orange Tourniquet, perfect for use with adults, children, and on canine. Designed to work as a tourniquet and as a compression dressing.

-H&H Compressed Gauze, made from high-grade crinkle fluff cotton gauze for wound packing and wound wrapping.

-H&H Mini Compression Bandage, our smallest but fully functioning compression bandage with an absorbent 4" x 6" ABD pad.

-H&H Hypothermia Blanket, large enough to wrap your working dog or yourself to reduce shock and remain warm.

-H&H DualSeal Chest Seal two-pack, our proven hydrogel chest seals in a smaller twin pack to seal two wounds.

-Red Klever Kutter safety cutter to cut away string, rope, or debris from a wound.

-A pair of Nilrile Gloves to protect the handler while treating your working dog.

https://archangeldynamics.com/products/ ... trauma-kit
TEMS / Flight Paramedic. NRP, FP-C, TP-C.
OIF / OEF Combat Veteran
Owner / Chief Instructor of Archangel Dynamics, LLC. Come visit us for all of your Medical Preparedness needs!
Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

Return to “First Aid”