Noob question - Really sorry!!

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
BucksJoeD91
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:30 pm

Noob question - Really sorry!!

Post by BucksJoeD91 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:59 pm

Okay guys and girls, I am new on here but have a genuine question. I have read the READ THIS BEFORE POSTING thread.

But my question is this,

What would members on here pack in a search and rescue first aid kit for mountain/rough terrain?

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2638
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Noob question - Really sorry!!

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:24 pm

If you are serious, then we probably need these questions answered first:

Are you currently on a S&R team?

What country are you in?

What is your training and experience?

Answers will vary greatly based on the above.

More questions: is help expected to arrive in minutes? Hours? Days? Help for the distressed and help for the rescuer?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 6719
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Noob question - Really sorry!!

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:25 pm

woodsghost wrote:If you are serious, then we probably need these questions answered first:

Are you currently on a S&R team?

What country are you in?

What is your training and experience?

Answers will vary greatly based on the above. [etc.]
Indeed. Sorry to ask qualifying questions but we do get our fair share of trollish inquiries here of late. Rest assured if you'll just give us a bit more info to establish your bona fides (and perhaps take a moment to make a cursory introduction in the "Introductions" subforum) you'll get a sincere, informed answer to your question.

User avatar
VXMerlinXV
* * *
Posts: 405
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: SEPA

Re: Noob question - Really sorry!!

Post by VXMerlinXV » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:27 am

Don't be sorry, it's an ok question. The qualifiers above just help narrow down the answer we'll give.

I'm going to answer assuming you are on a SAR team, but not medically oriented. Private citizens really aren't going to be performing one man rescue ops, so that's out, and the medical teams I've seen had their bags issued or had stock dictated by their parent departments. If you are medical, or are looking for a different angle, just let me know and I'll amend my list.

Ortho
SAM splint x2
4" Coban x2
6" ACE x2

Bleeding
4x4 x10
5x9 ABD x3
12x30 Multi-dressing x1
Kerlex x2
4" Kling x2
2-3" Cloth/silk tape 2 rolls
CAT or SOFT x1

Equipment
Gloves x5 pairs
EMT shears x1
Strap cutter x1
Flashlight x1
Duct tape/riggers tape x 1 Roll
Mylar blanket
Wool blanket
250 ml irrigation sterile water x2
CPR mask
6x6 plastic tarp
550 x 100'
Pen
Marker
PT care sheet x4
small bottle hand sanatizer

This list assumes you have a normal loadout of hiking and survival gear for yourself, as well as this medical module.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

BucksJoeD91
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:30 pm

Re: Noob question - Really sorry!!

Post by BucksJoeD91 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:41 pm

woodsghost wrote:If you are serious, then we probably need these questions answered first:

Are you currently on a S&R team?

What country are you in?

What is your training and experience?

Answers will vary greatly based on the above.

More questions: is help expected to arrive in minutes? Hours? Days? Help for the distressed and help for the rescuer?
Okay,
No I'm not part of a S&R team however I am frequently (5-6 days a week minimum) out on moorlands, mountains being a farm worker and deer stalker, so will come in handy as I am in contact with local police and S&R teams as they see me on a day to day basis, I am however looking at getting training with the mountan rescue teams and eventually, hopefully become part of the team.

I am in the UK.

I have basic first aid training, and have volunteered to be a community first responder. I have farm related firefighting training, and canine first aid qualifications/experience.

Hope this narrows down a bit.

Joe.

BucksJoeD91
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:30 pm

Re: Noob question - Really sorry!!

Post by BucksJoeD91 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:50 pm

BucksJoeD91 wrote:
woodsghost wrote:If you are serious, then we probably need these questions answered first:

Are you currently on a S&R team?

What country are you in?

What is your training and experience?

Answers will vary greatly based on the above.

More questions: is help expected to arrive in minutes? Hours? Days? Help for the distressed and help for the rescuer?
Okay,
No I'm not part of a S&R team however I am frequently (5-6 days a week minimum) out on moorlands, mountains being a farm worker and deer stalker, so will come in handy as I am in contact with local police and S&R teams as they see me on a day to day basis, I am however looking at getting training with the mountan rescue teams and eventually, hopefully become part of the team.

I am in the UK.

I have basic first aid training, and have volunteered to be a community first responder. I have farm related firefighting training, and canine first aid qualifications/experience.

Hope this narrows down a bit.

Joe.
Sorry re read and missed the bottom questions.
Length of time for help to arrive in this area can depend greatly on where the casualty is located so I would assume minimum 30 minutes, very max 2 hours, and from what I have seen the situations vary from people just being lost to people with severe fractures. So would like a generalised pack to carry on my back or quad bike.

I only asked this question in all honesty, because I was moving the sheep from one side of a hill through a brook and onto fresh pasture and a woman was shouting for help but I had nothing on me to help so all I could do was give her my coat and keep her warm/calm and as comfortable as possible till help was on scene. I felt useless and don't want to be in that situation again with nothing to help.

User avatar
CG
* * * * *
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Noob question - Really sorry!!

Post by CG » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:29 pm

BucksJoeD91 wrote:
I only asked this question in all honesty, because I was moving the sheep from one side of a hill through a brook and onto fresh pasture and a woman was shouting for help but I had nothing on me to help so all I could do was give her my coat and keep her warm/calm and as comfortable as possible till help was on scene. I felt useless and don't want to be in that situation again with nothing to help.
I am not a medical person, but I would like to point out that you were not useless then. Keeping someone warm and calm can be the difference between life and death in many situations, or a bad situation and a worse one. Could you have learned something else that could have helped? Yes, but so could the cardiac surgeon who's the only one on call for an aneurysm (they might know how to do that, but you get my point).

I admire your wanting to do more, but don't think you were useless. I can guarantee you that the woman was much better off with somebody there.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2638
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Noob question - Really sorry!!

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:14 pm

In the context of "bumming around the moorlands with sheep and stalking deer" I don't know if you want to always carry wool blankets and SAM splints. Merlon's advice is excellent (no surprise there). If you have access to a vehicle I'd try and get as much of his list in there as you are trained with and can afford.

Do you have cell phone reception out on the moorlands?

What fits with my training, budget, and weight/size constraints (and I think would fit you well too) looks like:

A flashlight
Israeli type bandage
Space blankets
Chemical hand warmers (or the bigger foot warmers)
Water bottle
Cliff bars (or similar)
Handheld Ham/CB radio (*IF* cell coverage is poor and radio coverage happens to be better)
Spare cell phone battery bank (if cell coverage is decent)

Most of this would be useful to you too and you could rotate the food as you needed.

As I said earlier, I think having some more in a vehicle would be useful. But I personally am unlikely to carry a full medical kit while out doing farm chores or stalking deer.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

drop bear
* * *
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:56 am

Re: Noob question - Really sorry!!

Post by drop bear » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:48 pm

BucksJoeD91 wrote:
BucksJoeD91 wrote:
woodsghost wrote:If you are serious, then we probably need these questions answered first:

Are you currently on a S&R team?

What country are you in?

What is your training and experience?

Answers will vary greatly based on the above.

More questions: is help expected to arrive in minutes? Hours? Days? Help for the distressed and help for the rescuer?
Okay,
No I'm not part of a S&R team however I am frequently (5-6 days a week minimum) out on moorlands, mountains being a farm worker and deer stalker, so will come in handy as I am in contact with local police and S&R teams as they see me on a day to day basis, I am however looking at getting training with the mountan rescue teams and eventually, hopefully become part of the team.

I am in the UK.

I have basic first aid training, and have volunteered to be a community first responder. I have farm related firefighting training, and canine first aid qualifications/experience.

Hope this narrows down a bit.

Joe.
Sorry re read and missed the bottom questions.
Length of time for help to arrive in this area can depend greatly on where the casualty is located so I would assume minimum 30 minutes, very max 2 hours, and from what I have seen the situations vary from people just being lost to people with severe fractures. So would like a generalised pack to carry on my back or quad bike.

I only asked this question in all honesty, because I was moving the sheep from one side of a hill through a brook and onto fresh pasture and a woman was shouting for help but I had nothing on me to help so all I could do was give her my coat and keep her warm/calm and as comfortable as possible till help was on scene. I felt useless and don't want to be in that situation again with nothing to help.
Warm and comfortable is most of it. Unless they are squirting blood on you. In which case plug that with something.

drop bear
* * *
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:56 am

Re: Noob question - Really sorry!!

Post by drop bear » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:50 pm

woodsghost wrote:In the context of "bumming around the moorlands with sheep and stalking deer" I don't know if you want to always carry wool blankets and SAM splints. Merlon's advice is excellent (no surprise there). If you have access to a vehicle I'd try and get as much of his list in there as you are trained with and can afford.

Do you have cell phone reception out on the moorlands?

What fits with my training, budget, and weight/size constraints (and I think would fit you well too) looks like:

A flashlight
Israeli type bandage
Space blankets
Chemical hand warmers (or the bigger foot warmers)
Water bottle
Cliff bars (or similar)
Handheld Ham/CB radio (*IF* cell coverage is poor and radio coverage happens to be better)
Spare cell phone battery bank (if cell coverage is decent)

Most of this would be useful to you too and you could rotate the food as you needed.

As I said earlier, I think having some more in a vehicle would be useful. But I personally am unlikely to carry a full medical kit while out doing farm chores or stalking deer.
Personal locator becon. Mabye even a strobe as well.

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2638
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Noob question - Really sorry!!

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:08 pm

I forgot to add I'm all on board with gloves. I LOVE gloves. I prefer nitrile gloves. Thicker ones. I really don't care for latex in any thickness. But nitrile gloves from an automotive store or farm store do the trick for me. Usually they are thicker and more durable/rugged.

Drop Bear, I like the idea of a strobe. I had not thought of that.

I was starting to Google personal emergency strobe lights and remembered my bicycle lights have a strobe function. So a strobe does not need to be expensive or large. Just a thought.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

K9medic
* * * * *
Posts: 1286
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:18 pm
Location: Northumberland UK

Re: Noob question - Really sorry!!

Post by K9medic » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:40 am

Where about a in the UK are you (general area) ? I'm on the east coast just south of the Borders.

Since 202 squadron disbanded and air sea rescue moved south you can expect at least an hour for them in this area, air ambulance, if it's not already tasked about the same. And that of course is if the weather conditions are ok to fly.

Conservatory I would work on between 1 and 4 hours (depending on weather and availability) before you hand over to professional help.

Training wise, depending on your location you can do a good course at either Glenmoor Lodge or Plas Y Brenin. The FREC l3 course would also be a good option too.

Kit wise, depends on how much you want to carry and how far you are from your vehicle. If you are out stalking I would definitely want something to stop catastrophic blood lose (you can get kits that will drop in a pocket of a Barbour). Lost walkers are more likely to be hypothermia, fractures and cuts, again depending on skill level you can do a lot with minimum kit.

I mite have some spare kit that will get you started (depends what you already have) let me know what your short of and I will have a rumage.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

User avatar
VXMerlinXV
* * *
Posts: 405
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: SEPA

Re: Noob question - Really sorry!!

Post by VXMerlinXV » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:07 am

I am glad to see you want to be medically prepared out in the hills, but in that case I completely change my answer.

In a 2 qt ziplock,

4x4 x3
5x9 abd x1
4" roller gauze x2
H+H compressed gauze (or another vacuum packed fluff gauze) x1
4" Ace x1
3" Trainers tape x1
Cravat x1
#11 blade scalpel x1
Mylar blanket x1
nitrile gloves x2 pair
Assorted cloth bandaids in a smaller ziplock(plasters?)
Your favorite nsaid x1 small blister pack (I prefer advil)
diphenhydramine x 1 small blister pack
Antibiotic first aid cream x 1 tube
You can add a vented chest seal 2 pack if you know what to do with it.
EMT shears

Put 1 CAT or SOFT in a pocket you can reach with either hand, a SAM splint at the bottom of your bag, and this small pouch in your bag someplace. You should be set.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

Post Reply

Return to “First Aid”