It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NAEMT and that "TP-C"
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:36 pm 

Anyone busting ass trying to get the TP-C is wasting time. Trust me. The people that should be teaching
It, will be, the DOD.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:50 pm 

Do you think LEO based TEMS and TCCC overlap enough to be the same course? Or would there need to be a distinct, DoD provided, TEMS for Civilian LEO program?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:13 pm 

I pursued mine primarily out of my passion for the field of study of tactical medicine, and as an educator, i feel it demonstrates a lot to my students. It is not an easy exam. It is also a requirement for some jobs, Much like FP-C is a requirement to fly at most agencies. I certainly don't feel that I wasted my time with it at all.

TP-C is not overseen by NAEMT or NREMT. The IBSC (International Board of Specialty Certification) does, they also oversee FP-C and CCP-C, MTSP-C and Community Paramedic (CP-C). It is not a fly-by-wire certification by any means. It is respected and it is a preferred certification for certain fields of work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:00 am 

I just had typed a reply guys, erased? It was here for a minute. Cool, whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:32 am 

Let's see if I can not offend anyone with this reply. Merlin, excellent question, excellent question. I'm impressed. Now, think of the MANY ways they overlap and the ABSOLUTELY pivotal ways they differ. See, it's so fluid, with the evolving threat in America, my belief is that police will soon be taught IMT and SUT to a greater extent. Look at the Vegas shooting, we will NEVER know the truth there. But for 15-20 minutes, that was areas in Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa, and definitely Mogadishu. My troops in Africa are currently trained to expect to wait up to two hours for a "red" or Urgent patient extraction per UN standards. That is the highest priority patient. Vegas sounded ALMOST like my world.(I was here by the way, Africa). But I'm rambling, back to your question, it's actually situationally dictated. It's gonna be a tough class to write and I'm sure there will be some revisions but it will probably be one class covering the both types of Tactical Medicine, TACTICAL EMERGENCY MEDICAL SUPPORT and BATTLEFIELD MEDICINE.......I think the physical techniques will not be much of a hurdle, although both sides could use info from each other, I think it's the stages of care and when your in which stage will fuck medics up enough. You must stay fluid. We have left care under fire, withdrawn, have a perimeter and started Tactical Field Care, then found out our CCP or casualty collection point has been attacked. So the medics ability to stay fluid, his ability to control physical patient movement, and his communication skills will be key. I can tell you the people that I speak to actually write TCCC policy. So when they tell me they took my advice and are going to establish dominion over this pre hospital speciality, I'd believe them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:15 am 

SteelWolf wrote:
I pursued mine primarily out of my passion for the field of study of tactical medicine, and as an educator, i feel it demonstrates a lot to my students. It is not an easy exam. It is also a requirement for some jobs, Much like FP-C is a requirement to fly at most agencies. I certainly don't feel that I wasted my time with it at all.

TP-C is not overseen by NAEMT or NREMT. The IBSC (International Board of Specialty Certification) does, they also oversee FP-C and CCP-C, MTSP-C and Community Paramedic (CP-C). It is not a fly-by-wire certification by any means. It is respected and it is a preferred certification for certain fields of work.

Here's my .02 on the issue. This isn't a criticism of you directly, as I have no clue about your life experience or background. Rather, it's my issue with certification by a body that does not require operational experience, and the varied experience that could be purported as tactical medical experience.

I have taken TEMS and TCCC courses with a variety of instructors, including: Multi combat deployment 18D's, one career Ranger, full time SWAT/ESU LEOs who were NREMT-P cross-trained, and full time medics/EMT's who were SWAT cross-trained. The variety of quality of those courses were STAGGERING, and all of them were approved/accredited CEU/CME. If someone is putting themselves out as a certified tactical medic, or even more so as a tactical medic instructor, and has never really stacked for entry, taken rounds, shot back, treated a casualty in the CUF/tactical environment, etc, it comes across in your training very quickly. The trouble is, if this is your instructor, you'll have second generation tactical medics with zero operational experience, and I think that is A) unique to tactical med (you wouldn't have a flight medic instructor who had never been in the air) and B) wildly needless, as we have stacks of experienced DoD medics from the GWOT. I would like to see them take a page from the other specialty certifications and require a minimal number of hours in the field before sitting for your exam, along with specific ConEd requirements. With the Tactical program, I could also see a practical evaluation component, as there are skillsets unique to the tactical medic that are not standard to the NREMT-P education or exam process.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:44 am 

See Merlin, knew you’d be good at this shit. I agree with everything you wrote. I’m not gonna getinto the fact that I was there for Afghanistan, Ukraine, and spent the last nine years, NINE YEARS in Africa doing now what’s all over the news. And I come home to find out that my friends and I aren’t even considered tactical medics. That gotthe original call going out to the BOSS of HOA (Horn of Africa), now the pentagon. That’s s what got the ball rolling. Exactly what you wrote. Now, out here, we’re like, fuck it, if I don’t know him, he doesn’t operate. No matter what’s after his name

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:48 am 

You and I will meet some day. Your buying the sugar free red bull Brother......Be safe.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:09 pm 

Sugar free red bull? That's just sick, what ever happened to a good strong cup of tea?