Self Injecting Epi-pens

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Laevatein
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most

Self Injecting Epi-pens

Post by Laevatein » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:43 pm

Where might I be able to procure them: adult and child?

Thanks
'oderint dum metuant'

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Self Injecting Epi-pens

Post by Halfapint » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Laevatein wrote:Where might I be able to procure them: adult and child?

Thanks
As far as I know they are prescription. I just asked my doc for some he wrote me a script. I'm a beekeeper and have a moderate reaction to stings, want one around in case it gets worse.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:33 pm

They are available mail order albeit with a prescription.

https://www.canadadrugs.com/products/epipen

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:21 pm

Look up your state and country drug classification

in Australia epi-pens are classified as schedule 4 drugs...no perscription is needed but chemists are unwilling to hand them over. also having a perscription for them really cuts the cost down
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

ColoradoMtnMan

Post by ColoradoMtnMan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:44 am

If you don't have a hx of anaphylaxis your physician might be hesitant to write the script. Especially iff you indicate that you're going to carry it to use on other people. What I'd recommend would be to take a quality WFR course (such as the one I offer) that includes a "Wilderness Anaphylaxis Workshop", then take that and show your physician. Likey he'll be more accomodating with the script.

That being said; an epi-pen administers 0.3mg of epi, some of them allow for two doses (for 0.6mg of 1:1 epi total). Epi-pens are fairly costly with the trade being that they're very easy to use. In our class we discuss using the 1mg ampules of 1:1 epi for direct IM injection using a tuberculin syringe with a 22g needle. These ampules are dirt cheap, easy to carry and 1mg allows for multiple doses. When I do the Anaphylaxis workshop for guides we train and recommend doing it this way. One Altoids tin can carry two such syringes, multiple doses of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and 2-3 ampules of epi. Practitioners (EMTb and higher) can usually get wilderness clearance for pepcid, a h2 histamine blocker.

Take the class, learn to use multi-dose epi (we practice on oranges with epi, saline on other students!) and have a good discussion with your physician or physician advisor.

stay safe!
Paramedic and Lead Medical Instructor @ Colorado Mountain Man Survival, LLC
Modern Survival - Bushcraft - Wilderness Medicine

7-Day Wilderness First Responder(WFR)
2-Day Wilderness First Aid(WFA)

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:20 pm

the widerness first aid course I took enabled me to be certified in Calfornia for using the pens on others. Not sure if it will help me to buy pens.

Jeff.... I've emailed and called you but no response.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:35 am

Unless you or a loved one has an allergy, I probably wouldn't carry one. If I was going to carry one anyway, I would take a relevant class, then bring the cert to my MD like COMM said. But the doc's response would vary, they expire fairly quickly, and are pretty costly to replace.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

Return to “First Aid”