It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Building the ideal med bag, how would you do it?
Keep it simple 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
add all the cool medic stuff 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
keep to your skill level 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
keep to your scope of practice 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
make it a sick call bag 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
make it a trauma bag 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:04 am 

Hello all

I've recently been asked the question "what should I have in my first aid kit?" while my answer was that the person's first aid kit should allow them to manage the most likely injuries themselves, it did cause me to start thinking....and that's a bad thing

with the rise of online shopping, if you were helping a new prepper, what would you suggest with regards to medical/first aid kit.

My personal view is to stick within one's training (so for someone who has done first aid, no cannulation, no advanced airways, no arterial tourniquets, no haemostatic agents etc) and to build a kit more around the little injuries rather than the big ones. Building a dedicated trauma kit for the car can come later, but the supplies people always seem to use are the little dressings.

I present this conundrum to the community, how would you help someone building up a first aid/medical kit?

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:54 am 

Disclaimer: I'm not a practiced prepper, so others with more experience, knowledge, etc. will have better input.

I keep a basic first aid kit around for the small scrapes and bumps in life. Nothing beyond my ability. Were I to be with a larger group for an extended period of time, I'd want to add things they could use. So, for the current, non-ZPAW world, I keep it basic. If and when I have the money, I'll expand it to something that's still simple, but provides greater opportunities for someone with more advanced training.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:03 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Foolbard wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm not a practiced prepper, so others with more experience, knowledge, etc. will have better input.

I keep a basic first aid kit around for the small scrapes and bumps in life. Nothing beyond my ability. Were I to be with a larger group for an extended period of time, I'd want to add things they could use. So, for the current, non-ZPAW world, I keep it basic. If and when I have the money, I'll expand it to something that's still simple, but provides greater opportunities for someone with more advanced training.

Pretty much this. I have a slew of basic IFAK's that live in my various day packs, backpacks, GHBs and also on my motorcycle.

For my car, I've kept something approaching a full on trauma kit for decades now, based on an experience I had as a young man. I was the first person on the scene of a horrific automobile accident and I had no training and absolutely nothing to work with. I didn't ever want to find myself in that position again.

I also agree that training is at least as important, if not more so, than the first aid supplies you have.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:05 pm 

I think the Blowout/trauma kit is all you need to EDC, just something for GSWs like an Israeli bandage, tourniquet, quickclot and some PPE or whatever in a small enough format that you always have it when you need it (belt or EDC bag). You also might want to throw in a small chemlight (we use red ones to mark our casualties.)

Your BOB should have a larger version of your blowout kit, and also include things for common ailments like OTC meds, any RX drugs you are taking, foot care items (super important in the field), bandaids and booboo kit like sunscreen. But that kit won't get carried all the time; you only have it when you are bugging out of harm's way.

For personal carry, I just have an IFAK (Quickclot bandage, Cat-4 tourniquet, EMT shears, chemlight, gloves and facemask) that rides on my belt in an M4 mag pouch and is JUST for GSW/trauma, then a small snakebite kit and a few blister packs of aspirin and bandaids (booboo kit stuff) in my EDC/Day hiking pack.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:30 am 

by-the-throat wrote:
I think the Blowout/trauma kit is all you need to EDC, just something for GSWs

I should mention, in Australia shootings are not so...common...

Just so you know

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:41 am 

by-the-throat wrote:
I think the Blowout/trauma kit is all you need to EDC

I think that greatly depends on location/situation. If you carry a firearm, you should have at least a TQ. I don't really like the trauma dressings for my bandage option, I prefer a 4" ACE and some gauze because I can do more with it. Some tape for sure, an airway if you can use it, same with a chest seal. There are far more instances where I need some OTC's than anything GSW related, and most trauma you'll come across will be orthopedic in nature, not penetrating. Not to pick you apart, and not knowing your circumstance, but if I was designing a universal EDC in a mag pouch for medical supplies, it wouldn't be a standard GSW/VOK/IFAK.

Also, not sure if you call your boo-boo kit a snake bite kit, but please do not use/carry/ or purchase commercial snakebite kits.