It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:30 pm 

I am currently in the planning stages right now, and none of these supplies have been purchased as of yet. Looking for a critique of the items chosen so far as well as pointing out of any weak spots in the load-out.

The primary use of this kit would be for Industrial use, I spend most of my life on processing facilities anymore so it brings its own set of primary injury risks. Most commercial "OSHA Approved" kits are really just overpriced booboo kits.

Risk assessment:
Our highest risks are as follows, in descending order of likelyhood:
  • Eye injury; generally foreign body or exposure
  • Hand Injuries; small lacerations, and pinch points
  • Small Burns; Generally1st and 2nd degree burns from steam piping and instrumentation
  • Heat/Cold Casualties
Secondary concerns would be:
  • Blunt force trauma (e.g. falling object that bypassed PPE)
  • Broken Bones
  • Accidental dismemberment
  • Degloving
  • Post explosion/fire initial care while waiting on EMS

The as-planed load-out list:
Basic Wound Management
  • Adhesive Bandages (assortment, mainly fingertip and knuckle)
  • Blister Management
  • Durapore Tape
  • 4x4 Gauze Pads
  • 3x4 Non-Adherent Dressing
  • 2" Elastic Bandage
  • Antimicrobial Wipes
  • Chinook OTC Medical Module
Advanced Wound Management
  • Burn Jel
  • 4x4 Burn Dressing
  • 2x6 Burn Dressing
  • Chinook ToolPak - Includes EMT shears, Thermometer, duct tape, etc
  • Hydratiton Powder (Oral Re-hydration Salts)
  • Eye Wash
Emergency Supplies
  • CPR Mask
  • 4" Olaes Bandage
  • Celox Z-Fold Rapid Gauze
  • QuickClot 1st Response (redundant, haven't decided between QC or Celox)
  • CAT Tourniquet

What am I missing?

Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

Last edited by Red_Snow on Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:03 pm 

I'm not aware of what sort of OSHA kit would be suitable for a high risk environment. If you look into your relevant Workplace Health and Safety (OHSA for americans) you'll find requirements for on-site medical equipment. Does your kit meet requirements? How far away are medical services? do you have an evacuation plan?

Workplace medical support is more than just a kit, in Australia you need an action plan for nearly every medical emergency

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:47 am 

taipan821 wrote:
I'm not aware of what sort of OSHA kit would be suitable for a high risk environment. If you look into your relevant Workplace Health and Safety (OHSA for americans) you'll find requirements for on-site medical equipment. Does your kit meet requirements? How far away are medical services? do you have an evacuation plan?
See below for the OSHA requirements. I don't have a splint in my list as our plan is to stabilize in place until EMS can show up, we also have innumerable field expedient splints in my truck from pry bars to probes. Blanket is covered in a different portion of my personal preps that live in the work truck.

OSHA wrote:
The following list sets forth the minimally acceptable number and type of first-aid supplies for first-aid kits required under paragraph (d)(2) of the logging standard. The contents of the first-aid kit listed should be adequate for small work sites, consisting of approximately two to three employees. When larger operations or multiple operations are being conducted at the same location, additional first-aid kits should be provided at the work site or additional quantities of supplies should be included in the first-aid kits:
1. Gauze pads (at least 4 x 4 inches).
2. Two large gauze pads (at least 8 x 10 inches).
3. Box adhesive bandages (band-aids).
4. One package gauze roller bandage at least 2 inches wide.
5. Two triangular bandages.
6. Wound cleaning agent such as sealed moistened towelettes.
7. Scissors.
8. At least one blanket.
9. Tweezers.
10. Adhesive tape.
11. Latex gloves.
12. Resuscitation equipment such as resuscitation bag, airway, or pocket mask.
13. Two elastic wraps.
14. Splint.
15. Directions for requesting emergency assistance.

[59 FR 51672, Oct. 12, 1994; 60 FR 47022, Sept. 8, 1995]

taipan821 wrote:
Workplace medical support is more than just a kit, in Australia you need an action plan for nearly every medical emergency

Action plans are a facility level prep, which means it usually involves "Evacuate, if unable to evacuate wait for rescue" for us "non-essential personnel." They are more concerned about having an incident labeled as a "First Aid" (did not require stitches, prescription meds, etc) rather than a "Recordable" or a "Lost Time Incident" and less likely to plan for a major medical emergency.

The other side of this, is that I'm not on the facility 24/7, we travel anywhere in North America depending on where the contract is. Where would the workplace action plan help me if I'm 300 miles away from the next workplace?

Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:18 pm 

If the industrial setting you're going to be in has a HF alkylation unit, Calcium Gluconate Gel and eyedrops along with milk of magnesia and eucalyptus oil would be a good precaution. Although any site handling HF will almost certainly have their own kits staged everywhere...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:32 pm 

Confucius wrote:
If the industrial setting you're going to be in has a HF alkylation unit, Calcium Gluconate Gel and eyedrops along with milk of magnesia and eucalyptus oil would be a good precaution. Although any site handling HF will almost certainly have their own kits staged everywhere...

Thankfully we primarily deal with Sulfuric Alky units, there are only 2 HF's left on the facilities we normally work on. I will have to dig back through my HF training, as I seem to recall that some of those treatments for exposure need to be refrigerated. And you are correct that our customers that handle HF have treatment kits throughout the units.