It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Be wary...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:29 pm 

Since I've been back from rotation I've taken some time to look here on the net and speak to our State Medical Director here...wow, is there a lot of complete bullshit out there for gear and training. Be very careful what you invest your money in in both gear and training. Most of the "Tactical Medic's" out there offering you training, have probably read about it in a book, or haven't touched a patient, tubed a patient, or decompressed a patient in years. Most of the gear is triple the price it would be if you just self assembled a kit for your particular needs. In my opinion, the ONLY site I've seen that I would trust is CTOMS.......The Canadians. They are no bullshit. Be wary, ask questions when you train, "when was the last time you've done a traumatic arrest?"......"Tell me about the last multi-system trauma you did?".....if the instructor cannot tell you or hesitates, don't invest your hard earned cash. If there's any question, post it here, about GEAR or TRAINING, I will try to answer you. Good luck all.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Be wary...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:06 pm 

I'll just add something to that.

any scenario you do, any procedure you do on a dummy will NOT be what happens in the field on a real person, so if you are learning to cannulate, learn on people not dummies (willing volunteers only), finding landmarks for procedures, practice on a variety of real people because when the sh** hits the fan and you are covered in blood and/or vomit and barely holding it together, the last thing you want is to be second guessing your training.

a good trainer will use experience to create excellent training scenarios, scenarios created by a trainer with limited experience do not have the same clarity

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017