It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:10 am 

I've been updating my on-body and in-bag gear quite a bit lately, recently broke out my car kit which is currently just a general odds and ends kit for mild issues. It's just a plastic box kit from Target which I added components and tools to, squeezes under the front seat. However, the last few years of heat have caused the labels to melt off the box, and the locking mechanism on one side has popped off. This is a mild 'some one scraped a knee at a picnic' kit which I'm hoping to gradually upgrade with more training, but for the time being I'm realizing I need at least a new soft-sided container.

I'd like this to be as inexpensive as possible, it will never be carried and is simply storage and organizational for under a car seat. I'd like detailed sleeves or pouches to handle bandages and pill packets, or a separate organizer in a larger bag if necessary. Cheap, organized, fits under a car seat. This is not a trauma kit, that will be a different project altogether which will be on-hand near me as I drive.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:30 pm 

I live in S FL and anything that is not 100% heat resistant, has to be heat protected, or rotated out after a certain time period. YMMV so you have to test for how long stuff lasts in your car.

Even the hand sanitizer that i keep in my glove box evaporates into a thick goo over time. I'm almost 2 years into an ammo test. Have had a mag of 556 in my trunk. A couple more years and I will test fire a few, if no misfires then the mag goes back for another few years.

Have you tried putting that type of stuff in an insulated cooler type bag?

http://www.landsend.com/products/solid-classmate-soft-sided-lunchbox/id_273905?cm_mmc=139971612&source=GS&003=56492216&010=4016510&gclid=CjwKEAjwrIa9BRD5_dvqqazMrFESJACdv27GOghheTC4rQI8Ocro4TeiOsAEmvDQqTseIGNQBT2EtxoChKjw_wcB

^^
This one looks like it will fit under a seat.

I use canvas tool bags and have had a couple in my car for quite a few years, I know they last. But don't keep fragile stuff like meds in them. That stuff goes in my EDC bag that goes with me, so they're not in the car when I'm not in the car.

Image ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:20 am 

It's not exactly cheap, but I love this one. You can see how I loaded it out here.

It fits quite a bit and has the best organization I could find. It's not gonna do anything special to hold up against the heat. I just have a bag I take in and out of the car every day that I keep it in.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:44 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm using something very similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/KIPOZI-Hanging-Toiletry-Resistant-Pockets/dp/B01EY1WHPQ

Found them for $3 locally at a discount store. Was tired of not having any standardization between the FAK contents stored in each vehicle, and wanted something inexpensive that would fit under the seat so they'd be in a common location in each vehicle as well. Could use a few more zippered compartments, but the central one is big enough for the larger items like gauze, dressings, sam splint, headlamp, coflex/vetwrap, EMT shears, and an Adventure Medical Trauma Pak. Added smaller kits within it to keep things better organized for handling specific 'emergencies', like ziploc pouches of OTC meds in a plastic organizer and a splinter kit in a Altoids tin. Certainly not tacticool but they work well enough.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:52 pm 

This is a decent one, albeit a bit expensive:

http://www.rescue-essentials.com/conter ... izer-pack/

Or you can buy this as a prefilled kit, and customize it:

http://www.rescue-essentials.com/rescue ... s-wfa-kit/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:41 pm 

For just an empty bag you can cram under a seat, but still offers some degree of organization and identifiablity, I would say either a Vietnam era medical tri-fold, or a North american rescue products CCRK hip bag (which can be found used on ebay for $20-$30)

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:02 am 

I've got a soft zipper case, but it's not all in all. It would be perfect with Advanced Blood Stop (hemostatic gauze) from CVS (sort of a small version of the QuickClot)