5 diseases that will explode post catastrophy.

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

grumpyviking

5 diseases that will explode post catastrophy.

Post by grumpyviking » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:13 am

in no particular order:
1. TB: lack of vitamin D, poor living conditions( damp, overcrowding etc).
this is particularly personal to me as my mother died of TB(aged 75).
2. Hepatitis A: Poor Sanitation.
3. Cholera : highly contagious, bad water.
4. Typhoid: poor sanitation, contaminated food ingested.
5. Whooping Cough and influenza: poor sanitation, bad water.
in a post event world, personal and group sanitation, hygiene and the quality of the water supply will play a vital role in everyday life.
these diseases are likely to have more of an impact on survival rates than any other cause.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: 5 diseases that will explode post catastrophy.

Post by raptor » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:19 am

Yes in a large scale catastrophe thsee diseases and other will crop up. You left out rubella, influenza and simple diarrhea. All of these can be fatal to all ages but particularly to the old and young.

Never mind people in need of constant medication like insulin, cancer treatment, blood pressure, anti-rejection drugs and so on.

Grumpy all the above aside the simple fact is that sooner or later we all die. So yes all of these are risks.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:17 pm

I give up.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

N01

Post by N01 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:39 pm

grumpyviking wrote:in no particular order:
1. TB: lack of vitamin D, poor living conditions( damp, overcrowding etc).
this is particularly personal to me as my mother died of TB(aged 75).
2. Hepatitis A: Poor Sanitation.
3. Cholera : highly contagious, bad water.
4. Typhoid: poor sanitation, contaminated food ingested.
5. Whooping Cough and influenza: poor sanitation, bad water.
in a post event world, personal and group sanitation, hygiene and the quality of the water supply will play a vital role in everyday life.
these diseases are likely to have more of an impact on survival rates than any other cause.
Do you have any idea how right you are ? 100 %
I saw al these things with the Ebola outbreak and some things on dominica.
but would like to add ( on longer term ) Dengue and Malaria
Edit: would like to add the Plague, when the chaos starts and services went down the hygiene fails and rats wil cultivate the fleas will also and before you know it is to late.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:04 pm

grumpyviking wrote:I give up.
Life does not take prisoners. Surrender is not an option.

Preparation , prevention and planning on dealing with all of the above is an option.
Last edited by raptor on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:07 pm

Dont forget my friend Dysentery - also bad water, food...

I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:22 pm

All these plus

Rickets and other vitamin deficiencies driven disease

Lots of parasitic infections
Boldly going nowhere

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:47 pm

Got get me a large fireproof pot/container so I can at least boil water. That should help a lot. Not sure how to handle latrines yet. I have me a nice large stock pot to boil water at home in case I should have too. Which has already happened.

I reckon if it came to it and we had to bug out I would treat the latrine the same way as camping.

Food poisoning from not cooking foods long enough. If it came to the end of society level that grumpyviking is talking about. Also from foraging and eating inedible/poisonous foods. Such as fungi/mushrooms and certain berries. Oh and let's not forget our friends poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. Hell, I'm not even sure what it looks like. Better fix that.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:28 pm

Hmm, how long after your "event" do you see these diseases?

Does the event reverse vaccinations, because I've had my jabs for cholera, typhoid, rabies, Japanese encephalitis and tetanus to name a few. I suspect most of the beneficiaries of the National Health Service have had some of these too.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

LyraJean
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:Hmm, how long after your "event" do you see these diseases?

Does the event reverse vaccinations, because I've had my jabs for cholera, typhoid, rabies, Japanese encephalitis and tetanus to name a few. I suspect most of the beneficiaries of the National Health Service have had some of these too.
I think with rabies and tetanus you have to get a booster every ten years. It might be the same with other diseases. But how screwed are if someone decides to release smallpox or god forbid weaponizes it first.

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:18 pm

I don't know about its potency but I was vaccinated against smallpox. The benefits of being older.

LyraJean
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:31 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:I don't know about its potency but I was vaccinated against smallpox. The benefits of being older.
I had chicken pox as a child so I'm safe as well. Although I'll need the shingles vaccination when I am older.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:53 am

LyraJean wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:I don't know about its potency but I was vaccinated against smallpox. The benefits of being older.
I had chicken pox as a child so I'm safe as well. Although I'll need the shingles vaccination when I am older.
I wasn't aware chickenpox conferred any immunity except to shingles, as shingles is the adult form of chickenpox.

Cow pox is what was used to first protect from smallpox (well, so the folk story goes).
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:23 am

Ad'lan wrote:Cow pox is what was used to first protect from smallpox (well, so the folk story goes).
As I recall the story being told, Dr. Edward Jenner observed that milkmaids who has contracted cow pox were far less likely to contract small pox and Jenner developed the first small pox vaccine.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:35 am

Ad'lan wrote:
LyraJean wrote:
I wasn't aware chickenpox conferred any immunity except to shingles, as shingles is the adult form of chickenpox.

Cow pox is what was used to first protect from smallpox (well, so the folk story goes).
Actually, you only get shingles if you've had chickenpox before. What happens is (please know this is my undergrad level understanding and could be wrong), you get chickenpox when you're a kid. Your body develops antibodies against the virus, which means you're immune to getting it again, because the antibodies recognize the virus and go straight into murder mode. But! It's a virus, not a bacteria, which means that it's very good at inserting itself into your genetic code (in this case, along nerve cells) and going dormant for a while. That's cool, if it starts to reproduce you've got antibodies to help fight it off.

You go about your life. At some point, either because you're sick, or you got old, or whatever, your immune system isn't what it used to be. It doesn't remember the virus. Now, if the virus decides to switch itself on, you don't have an effective defense against it, and you get shingles, aka awful painful blisters along the nerves the virus infected. This sucks.

The shingles vaccine basically reminds your body that hey, remember this shit? Keep producing antibodies against it, please. And then you don't get shingles.

As far as i know chicken pox doesnt do shit against smallpox.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:32 pm

shrapnel wrote:
Ad'lan wrote:
LyraJean wrote:

Actually, you only get shingles if you've had chickenpox before. What happens is (please know this is my undergrad level understanding and could be wrong), you get chickenpox when you're a kid. Your body develops antibodies against the virus, which means you're immune to getting it again, because the antibodies recognize the virus and go straight into murder mode. But! It's a virus, not a bacteria, which means that it's very good at inserting itself into your genetic code (in this case, along nerve cells) and going dormant for a while. That's cool, if it starts to reproduce you've got antibodies to help fight it off.

You go about your life. At some point, either because you're sick, or you got old, or whatever, your immune system isn't what it used to be. It doesn't remember the virus. Now, if the virus decides to switch itself on, you don't have an effective defense against it, and you get shingles, aka awful painful blisters along the nerves the virus infected. This sucks.

The shingles vaccine basically reminds your body that hey, remember this shit? Keep producing antibodies against it, please. And then you don't get shingles.

As far as i know chicken pox doesnt do shit against smallpox.
Shrap is correct. Petty little detail - I think it's the virus itself that stays in the body inactive, I'm not aware that it inserts itself into one's DNA, but it's more like once you've got chicken pox you never actually entirely get rid of the virus. Herpes (both cold sores and genital) are the same.

Everything else Shrap said is correct.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:03 pm

Thanks for checking in doctor. Would you mind giving us your five (5) most likely post collapse disease. I imagine that there are monographs a plenty following the Haitian earthquake about health and sanitation. I recall their Cholera outbreak came courtesy of Nepalese peacekeepers.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:55 pm

Oh, you're right, herpes viruses apparently keep their DNA in a little exrtrachromosomal plasmid thing in an infected cell, mostly. Some get into our genomes sometimes but not as a standard thing. Carry on!

http://jvi.asm.org/content/84/23/12100.full
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:15 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:Thanks for checking in doctor. Would you mind giving us your five (5) most likely post collapse disease. I imagine that there are monographs a plenty following the Haitian earthquake about health and sanitation. I recall their Cholera outbreak came courtesy of Nepalese peacekeepers.
Actually it would be great if you would not mind expanding the answer to include information on adult vaccinations that may be useful.

For instance Hepatitis A&B, tetanus, yellow fever and shingles are ones I keep current.

LyraJean
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:01 pm

Seriously I thought both cowpox and chickenpox helps protect against getting smallpox.

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:10 am

LyraJean wrote:Seriously I thought both cowpox and chickenpox helps protect against getting smallpox.
Now you know to get out of the coop and into the barn.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:26 am

Here's some diseases I think will explode if the system is disrupted long-term:

1.)Influenza. The common flu. It doesn't kill very many people nowadays because most of the high-risk patients get vaccinated, but if distribution is disrupted for more than a year the vaccine won't go out to the folks that need it and people will die.

2.)Other potentially fatal diseases currently held back by vaccines, like diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox and shingles, etc.

3.)Sexually transmitted diseases. Long-term distribution disruption will keep prophylactics out of stores, and people won't stop having sex. It would also keep the drugs used to treat diseases easily cured now from reaching clinics.

4.)Disease related to poor sanitation. Squeeze the flow of fuel and and trash haulers won't be able to keep up with trash pickups. If the grid goes down then so does the water eventually. Also shut down is the means to treat waste-water and purify drinking water for large populations.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Return to “First Aid”