To poop or not to poop, that is the question

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Seahorsewhisperer

Post by Seahorsewhisperer » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:46 pm

I know most of the posts on here are about traumas and WSHTF situations and other cool guy stuff. I came across this and sparked my memory that most casualties in a war (80% or more) have injuries or illness that are Duty/Non Battle Related (DNBI). The biggest thing that I have seen is GI issues. Either too much pooping or not enough pooping, either way it can be pretty miserable. I found this info about constipation and what and when to use certain drugs. I don't remember were it came from so I can't cite it. Just good FYI.

(I have the other end of the spectrum too, diarrhea protocol, that I can post if anyone wants it. We like to call it a "Jungle Cleans" rather than diarrhea.)

LAXATIVES AND HOW THEY WORK

Before trying laxatives How often you have a bowel movement varies, but people normally have as many as three bowel movements a day to as few as three a week. You may be constipated if you have fewer bowel movements than are normal for you. In addition, constipation may involve stools that are difficult to pass because they're hard, dry or small. However, before turning to laxatives, try these lifestyle changes to help with constipation:
 Eat fiber-rich foods, such as wheat bran, fresh fruits and vegetables, and oats.
 Drink plenty of fluids daily.
 Exercise regularly.

Lifestyle improvements relieve constipation for many people, but if problems continue despite these changes, your next choice may be a mild laxative.
How laxatives relieve constipation Laxatives work in different ways, and the effectiveness of each laxative type varies from person to person. In general, bulk-forming laxatives, also referred to as fiber supplements, are the gentlest on your body and safest to use long term. Metamucil and Citrucel fall into this category. Stimulant laxatives, such as Dulcolax and Senokot, are the harshest and should be used only occasionally. Here are some examples of types of laxatives. Even though many laxatives are available over-the-counter, it's best to talk to your doctor about laxative use and which kind may be best for you.

Type of laxative - Oral osmotics (Milk of Magnesia, Miralax)
How they work - Draw water into the colon from surrounding body tissues to allow easier passage of stool
Side effects - Bloating, cramping, diarrhea, nausea, gas, increased thirst

Type of laxative -Oral bulk formers (Benefiber, Citrucel, FiberCon, Metamucil)
How they work - Absorb water to form soft, bulky stool, prompting normal contraction of intestinal muscles
Side effects - Bloating, gas, cramping or increased constipation if not taken with enough water

Type of laxative - Oral stool softeners (Colace, Surfak)
How they work - Add moisture to stool to allow strain-free bowel movements
Side effects - Electrolyte imbalance with prolonged use

Type of laxative - Oral stimulants (Dulcolax, Senokot)
How they work - Trigger rhythmic contractions of intestinal muscles to eliminate stool
Side effects - Belching, cramping, diarrhea, nausea, urine discoloration

Type of laxative - Rectal stimulants – Suppositories (Bisacodyl, Pedia-Lax, Dulcolax)
How they work - Trigger rhythmic contractions of intestinal muscles to eliminate stool
Side effects - Rectal irritation, stomach discomfort, cramping

Oral laxatives may interfere with your body's absorption of some medications and nutrients. Some laxatives can lead to an electrolyte imbalance, especially after prolonged use. Electrolytes — which include calcium, chloride, potassium, magnesium and sodium — regulate a number of body functions. An electrolyte imbalance can cause abnormal heart rhythms, weakness, confusion and seizures.
Just a guy

Quartermaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Re: To poop or not to poop, that is the question

Post by Quartermaster » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:20 pm

How does Senna and Prune Juice work? There is a product called Prunelax which is senna and prune extract.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:25 pm

Excellent summary! A couple points I generally add...

Constipation - if you're not having painful bowel movements, having to really push to get them out, having abdominal pain but can't go even tho you feel like you need to - it's probably not a problem. In other words, if you feel fine likely you are. One exception would be if you had another condition (commonly hemrhoids, but there are others) where having to strain was going to cause issues elsewhere in your body, then sometimes it's necessary to treat even if the actual pooping isn't a problem.

I am in agreement with the way the advice and meds are ordered, start at the top and work down!

The reason stimulant laxatives should not be used really regularly is that your gut can become dependent on them, so you get to the point where you can't poop without them. Retraining your gut from that point can be done but is a process and kind of a pain in the butt. So if you're needing daily help, pick something from the top three categories of the list.

Dose matters! A scoop daily of miralax is pretty gentle, but if you dump a whole container of it into 64 oz of gatorade, and drink it over 6 hours, it's about half of a colon prep. They still sell bottles of Magnesium Citrate - again, it's an osmotic laxative, but drinking the whole bottle is generally effective but not gentle.

If somebody has been constipated for a long time (months) it commonly takes a long time (months to a year) for their gut to get back to a nice normal unaided stool schedule. Needing to use one of the laxatives that's safe for regular use for some time (months+) to keep things regular isn't uncommon in that situation.

The only other category of remedy for this is the lubricants. One is glycerin suppositories - just helps make things slippery and provides a little mechanical stimulation. I use those very occasionally. The other is drinking a teaspoon or 2 of mineral oil - this is an old-fashione remedy that is generally NOT recommended anymore, as it's only mildly helpful and inhaling mineral oil (if it ends up going down the wrong pipe) can make you very ill.

Seahorse, I'd love to see your "Jungle Cleanse" protocol.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Quartermaster wrote:How does Senna and Prune Juice work? There is a product called Prunelax which is senna and prune extract.
Senna is a stimulant, same stuff as ex-lax. Use occasionally if needed.

Prune juice has a lot of natural sorbitol in it. Sorbitol is a non-digestable sugar, acts as an osmotic laxative like magnesium and miralax. It's actually available for laxative use but I think only by prescription for some reason. So regular prune juice (or even better, dried prunes, get some fiber!) would be fine for regular use.

My personal experience is I've got no issues as long as I eat plenty of whole grains, beans, and fruits/veggies, stay hydrated, and don't sit still too much. It's also more of an issue as we all get older, less often a problem for younger colons.

Seahorsewhisperer

Post by Seahorsewhisperer » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:07 pm

Here's the quick version of the protocol for the "Jungle Cleanse"

Non remote locations (Don't have to worry about dehydration or travel) - Pepto and fluids

"The primary agent studied for prevention of TD, other than antimicrobial drugs, is bismuth subsalicylate (BSS), which is the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol. Studies from Mexico have shown this agent (taken daily as either 2 oz of liquid or 2 chewable tablets 4 times per day) reduces the incidence of TD by approximately 50%."Bradley A. Connor, Travelers Diarrhea

Remote locations

With Bloody Stool
-azithromyacin - 1 gram

Without Bloody Stools
-Immodium - 4 mg single dose, 2mg dose after each stool, no more than 8mg/day, no more than 48 hrs, DO NOT USE IF THERE IS STOMACH CRAMPING/PAIN, FEVER, OR BLOODY STOOL
-Oral Rehydration
-Antibiotics
1-Cipro - 1gram/Day x 3 days, if they fail to respond go to #2
2-Azithromyacin - 500 mg/day x 3 days, if they fail to respond go to #3
3-Flagyl/Seek med professional, possible parasite
Just a guy

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:44 pm

On a related topic...

One of the things that has surprised me about pooping is the number of people who die every year due to an associated vasovagal response. I had not dealt much with the elderly and had no idea how common this was. I would say at least half the people I have seen dead this year died right after getting off the crapper. This was a bit of a surprise for me.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:46 pm

Awesome write up, thank you for posting.
Stercutus wrote:On a related topic...

One of the things that has surprised me about pooping is the number of people who die every year due to an associated vasovagal response. I had not dealt much with the elderly and had no idea how common this was. I would say at least half the people I have seen dead this year died right after getting off the crapper. This was a bit of a surprise for me.
Yep, Sadly its super common and happens often to those who live alone, the resulting blackout will cause a lot of people to slip off the toilet and get wedged between the toilet and the wall. In EMS we refer to those as "Commode Codes."
-NREMT-P
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:18 pm

duodecima wrote:
The only other category of remedy for this is the lubricants. One is glycerin suppositories - just helps make things slippery and provides a little mechanical stimulation. I use those very occasionally. The other is drinking a teaspoon or 2 of mineral oil - this is an old-fashione remedy that is generally NOT recommended anymore, as it's only mildly helpful and inhaling mineral oil (if it ends up going down the wrong pipe) can make you very ill.

Seahorse, I'd love to see your "Jungle Cleanse" protocol.
I know that the light mineral oil I buy to use on my food handling knives is bought in the pharmacy section of the store for this purpose. I haven't actually done it, nor plan to... But I do love multiuse stockable items.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Has anyone said a strong brew of black coffee?? Not that I need help going, but if it's in the morning and I want to jump start my routine, black coffee gets the job done for basic needs
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Sins

Post by Sins » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:52 am

Interesting tapatalk suggested this thread in a notification this while on the pooper.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:54 am

Funny tidbit, but your body naturally gets constipated when it goes into a "survival mode". Stress, and the sudden changes in food and water consumption may be factors.

Its noted that most contestants of the reality show "Survivor" have difficulty having a bowel movement during the first full week of the show. Its actually celebrated behind the scenes when the various contestants finally have one. In most SHTF situations I would not be alarmed, if you don't go for a few days. In a sudden SHTF situation having to poop can be a bit of an inconvenience anyway. Beyond 6 days, I would start being concerned and take some sort of action to get things moving again.

Seahorsewhisperer

Post by Seahorsewhisperer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:17 pm

I was in Nicaragua a month ago and I didn't go for 6 days. I was just eating beans and rice so that might have been part of it. Im headed to Nepal in two weeks, so I will cross my fingers.
Just a guy

moab

Post by moab » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:39 pm

I know it was mentioned. But what about mineral oil? Seems like you'd get the same effect but without all the side effects.

I use Metamucil daily. As I have had hemorrhoids and surgery for them in the past. Very painful. But it's part of my bug out first aid and wellness kit. They come in capsule form now too. But the powder is more economical. And you can carry more of it. It seems almost essential considering the starchy nature of most bug out foods.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:48 pm

duodecima wrote:The only other category of remedy for this is the lubricants. One is glycerin suppositories - just helps make things slippery and provides a little mechanical stimulation. I use those very occasionally. The other is drinking a teaspoon or 2 of mineral oil - this is an old-fashione remedy that is generally NOT recommended anymore, as it's only mildly helpful and inhaling mineral oil (if it ends up going down the wrong pipe) can make you very ill.
Inhalation of mineral oil can cause lipoid pneumonia which can be life threatening.

For those of us whose swallowing is neurologically intact this is going to be a rare issue, but there's just so many other things it's not the first move.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:28 pm

You guys really know your shit.

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:34 pm

It'll take a second to sort all this new knowledge out, that was quite an info dump.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:48 pm

Excellent topic.
Pooping is one of the most important bodily functions and a pretty decent indicator of general health.

Concur with Mikeyboy...
Having lived through several disasters one of the things I've experienced is what I call 'stress constipation'- Being too busy dealing with stuff to properly hydrate and allow myself time and a quiet place to poop.

Just FYI there's a site called the poopreport that deals with all things and news stories related to shitting.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:03 pm

JackBauer wrote:Excellent topic...
Having lived through several disasters one of the things I've experienced is what I call 'stress constipation'- Being too busy dealing with stuff to properly hydrate and allow myself time and a quiet place to poop.
Yep, I broke my leg badly in May and was in hospital for a week. I didn't poop, couldn't poop, didn't even feel the need to poop whilst in Hospital. Bed pans are bad enough just to pee in :gonk:
Opiate pain killers don't help either.
I was prescribed Laxido sugar free drink sachets which has the active ingredient Macrogol which is an osmotic laxative. Thankfully it has no explosive after effects.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm going to have to reflect upon this, my wife says I have IBS. Great variance in poop, tho.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

procyon

Post by procyon » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:21 pm

Just to chime in.
JeeperCreeper wrote:Has anyone said a strong brew of black coffee?? Not that I need help going, but if it's in the morning and I want to jump start my routine, black coffee gets the job done for basic needs
That actually works. Any coffee drinker knows it.
But it actually works as a stimulant laxative. (Think of it, you are putting caffiene, generally a lot, directly into your intestines...)
So you CAN become dependant on it (lord knows I am...in more than one way... :gonk: ).

And just like on the list above, it can have some rather unpleasant GI side effects if you aren't used to dumping that much into your guts at one time.

Edditted several times as I haven't had anywhere enough caffeine yet today.
:crazy:
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

painiac

Post by painiac » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:23 am

There's also the "Chocolate Bomb", a favorite trick of the trade among nursing home staff.
Mix 8 ounces of prune juice, 8 ounces of strong coffee, and 1 ounce of Milk of Magnesia. Heat in microwave, serve warm. Optionally, add chocolate ice cream.
This should result in its namesake in a few hours. In other words, this concoction is not on the "gentle" half of the list...

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:19 pm

Everyone should have an enema kit and lube.

I had a recent experience relevent to this subject...

Post op patient pain on meds. She couldn't poop, which also pressed on her bladder and prevented her from peeing. She was screaming and crying in pain. We had every type of stool softner and laxative. She had to wait while I drove to the store for an enema kit and KY jelly.. It's just a squeezable bottle of solution with an aplicator tip. 2 pack.

Now the second enema bottle and KY jelly are a part of my med kit. I wish I had them in place before I needed them. When you need them they are not optional or luxuries.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:47 pm

There was an episode of "Extreme Addictions" that was a bout a couple in Florida that were doing Coffee enemas all day long, like a GALLON of black coffee each! They would fight over who got to lie on the bathroom floor and use the hardware first in the morning. needless to say, they were "Clean as a whistle" and bouncing off the walls... Go watch it if you need some WTF in your life.

On another note, Pepto is in my EDC FAK.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

painiac

Post by painiac » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:35 pm

Dawgboy wrote:On another note, Pepto is in my EDC FAK.
If you try to treat severe constipation with pepto, you're going to be sorely disappointed...
It helps to an extent with upset stomach, and it binds with bacterial toxins that cause diarrhea in food poisoning, but has no effect on constipation.

Return to “First Aid”