Best pocket first aid kit?

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

imweasel

Best pocket first aid kit?

Post by imweasel » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:46 pm

I am thinking of very basic items. Something you would take for a walk in the woods. What would you include?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Best pocket first aid kit?

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:01 pm

A few adhesive bandages. A straight pin. Duct tape and some Vaseline. Aspirin, ibuprofen and an OTC antihistamine. A sugar sachet or a piece of hard candy. Maybe an antiseptic wipe.

Burncycle

Post by Burncycle » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:50 pm

What I would take and what you would take might be different things, especially if you're an ultra light hiker and I've watched 127 hours too many times.

Personally, a sexy nurse would be my first choice. :mrgreen:

You can keep a trauma kit in a cargo pocket, and a booboo kit is even smaller. Decide what your most likely to need and make your own or modify an off the shelf kit. There are about a dozen threads in the first two pages with lots of ideas!

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:16 pm

These kits exist premade. REI makes very good ones. So does Adventure Medical Kits.

You're welcome to make them yourself, but the kits are pretty well thought out. There are a variety of them which vary based on the number of people in the group, the duration of the activity, and sometimes the type of activity.

http://www.rei.com/product/867435/rei-d ... st-aid-kit

All contents are packed together in a zippered nylon case; clear compartments let you easily find the items you need
Reflective trim makes the kit easier to locate quickly inside a pack
Comes with with a handy first-aid/CPR guide for reference on the trail
Treat cuts with an assortment of adhesive bandages, including 1 in. strips, 0.75 in. strips, knuckle bandages, fingertip bandages and butterfly closures
For larger wounds, the kit also includes an assortment of gauze pads, a roll of gauze and a roll of medical tape
Prep and care for wounds with antiseptic towelettes, triple-antibiotic ointment and sting-relief wipes
Medications include antacid tablets, ibuprofen tablets, acetaminophen tablets and allergy-relief tablets
Also includes Moleskin to help prevent and treat blisters
Equipment includes a pair of bandage scissors and a splinter-removal tool
The REI Day Hiker First-Aid Kit is assembled in the USA of imported and domestic materials

Made in USA.

Item 867435

http://www.rei.com/product/695383/adven ... st-aid-kit

Designed for life in the bottom of the pack, zippered ripstop silnylon outer bag has 2 inner DryFlex™ watertight pouches to ensure contents are kept clean and dry
Wound care items: 3 butterfly closure strips, 2 triple antibiotic ointments, 3 antiseptic wipes and 1 pair of nitrile gloves
Bandages: 8 sterile dressings, 2 non-adherent sterile dressings, 2 conforming gauze bandages, 5 adhesive bandages and 3 knuckle bandages
10 yards adhesive tape, 1 elastic bandage, 11 precut and shaped moleskin pieces and 3 alcohol swabs
Medications: 6 ibuprofen, 2 aspirin, 2 antihistamine and 2 AfterBite® sting-relief wipes
Other equipment: splinter picker forceps, 3 safety pins and a 26 x 2 in. roll of duct tape

Made in USA.

Item 695383

imweasel

Post by imweasel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:19 pm

That REI kit is something I am looking for. Thanks!

brewmeister

Post by brewmeister » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:08 pm

AMK's Ultralite .5 is what I carry and recommend to folks when they want a pre-made boo boo kit that offers one of the better bang for your buck in terms of the stuff they provide and the cost.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:29 pm

brewmeister wrote:AMK's Ultralite .5 is what I carry and recommend to folks when they want a pre-made boo boo kit that offers one of the better bang for your buck in terms of the stuff they provide and the cost.
Couple that up with an AMK Travel Medic (and a medium-sized Victorinox SAK) and you've got a pretty potent setup.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/med ... medic.html
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:12 am

I worked this problem out for my sister, who has minimal First Aid experience but does a lot of solo hiking.

If I could just bring one thing, it would be a 4" ETD, (I got her the NARP version). Why? The most likely injury you're going to get on a hike is going to be orthopedic. An ETD can be used as an ACE wrap. The second most common injury that would require some attention would be a minor-moderate laceration, and in this instance the ETD can be used as a dressing. It can also make a sling, in a pinch. It is by no means complete, but it is a low cubic inch, multipurpose tool.

If you want a more thorough option, I suggest the following:
1 4" ACE
5 4x4 gauze pads
1 2-3" Athletic/trainer's tape (1" medical tape has limited field use)
1 5x9 ABD pad
1 4" Kling gauze
triangular bandage
bandaids
1 sheet moleskin
200 mg advil
25 mg benydril
neosporin tube

All of that will fit in a quart sized ziplock.

Basic field irrigation can be performed with drinking water. Burn dressings are gauze+water to cool, then dry sterile to dress. This list is assuming you have limited first aid training and experience. As you add training, you can modify to your preferences.

That being said, many many first aid situations are better prevented than treated. Water, sturdy footwear, and appropriate clothing for the climate are some of the most important first aid items I carry.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

Return to “First Aid”