WHEN to use an NPA... ?

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TAB
Favorite Zombie Movies: God has no favorites, why should I? There are so many, and so many different types of zombies, but here are some great ones that come to mind: "Evil Dead", "Re-animator", "Versus", and of course "Night of the Living Dead".

WHEN to use an NPA... ?

Post by TAB » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:33 pm

I have been trying to find any info that basically answers the question... should an NPA be inserted before or after CPR? This article seems to suggest using it before CPR: http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/S ... rst-.shtml, but I am trying to get some confirmation on this.
* Let it be known: Everything I say is only my own opinion except perhaps when I am quoting someone else.
Success is the realization that you are not only unique but also essential.
Ecoculture Village, a non-profit entity ~ rediscovering, rejuvenating, & reinventing
small rural communities… preparing, surviving, living!

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: WHEN to use an NPA... ?

Post by DannusMaximus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Initiate compressions first. In fact, current 'non first responder' training is teaching compressions only CPR, don't worry about ventilations at all.

So, if it is just you, do compressions only. If it's you and another trained person, have one person insert the NPA and perform ventilations while the other person does compressions. Inserting the NPA can be done concurrent with compressions.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

okiebill

Post by okiebill » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Dannus hit it right on...

Only thing I could add would be to consider that an NPA also has Contraindications (Reasons /Situations where you would not use an NPA)...

Bill

TAB
Favorite Zombie Movies: God has no favorites, why should I? There are so many, and so many different types of zombies, but here are some great ones that come to mind: "Evil Dead", "Re-animator", "Versus", and of course "Night of the Living Dead".

Post by TAB » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:00 am

Thank you. I agree, excellent answer.
* Let it be known: Everything I say is only my own opinion except perhaps when I am quoting someone else.
Success is the realization that you are not only unique but also essential.
Ecoculture Village, a non-profit entity ~ rediscovering, rejuvenating, & reinventing
small rural communities… preparing, surviving, living!

Return to “First Aid”