Motorcycle FAK?

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Motorcycle FAK?

Post by roOism » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:05 am

I commute daily on my bike, about ten miles each way, and want to put a small FAK in my bag. I haven't found many prepackaged kits, and the few I did find looked overpriced for what was included.

Is there any particular item you'd go heavy on with a motorcycle FAK? Anything you'd leave out?

I figure with riding the big concerns would be broken bones, lacerations, abrasions and burns.

Any thoughts?
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Re: Motorcycle FAK?

Post by mystic_1 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:34 pm

Throw in some sunscreen wipes and spare chapstick.

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:40 pm

Lacerations, abrasions and burns you can deal with. Broken bones will require some help.

2 absorbent compress dressings (5 x 9 inches) in case of road rash.
A few adhesive bandages. esp knuckle ones. For when the wrench slips...
1 adhesive cloth tape (10 yards x 1 inch) to hold the gauze.
5 antibiotic ointment packets to keep things under control.
5 Povidone iodine packets - to clean up those cuts.
2 packets of aspirin. just the thing for the morning after.
1 foil blanket, you can never tell when this will come in handy.
1 instant cold compress
2 pair of nonlatex gloves (size: large) - keep the grease on your hands, on your hands.
Scissors
1 ACE bandage (3 inches wide)
1 ACE bandage (4 inches wide)
5 sterile gauze pads (3 x 3 inches)
5 sterile gauze pads (4 x 4 inches)
2 triangular bandages when the rooler bandage isn't enough.
Tweezers because when you change your tire, something is going to get in your hands...
Magnifying glass to use with tweezers
headlamp so you can see to use the tweezers....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

cauldron

Post by cauldron » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:31 pm

A minor accident might require something for road rash, and there will be some strains and sprains. A few advil will help keep the swelling down while you pick the bike up, and go somewhere to get fixed up better. The Advil might make the bleeding a little worse, but being too stiff to climb back off the bike in 20 minutes is also bad. Gauze and bandages and duck tape go a long way to being a good start on a bike kit.

In a minor crash, the bike might also be damaged, and if the bike is how you intend to go somewhere to get more aid, it needs to be running. Common damage in a light get-off includes anything sticking out... but two things will keep the bike from running. A hole in the engine case, and a snapped off lever or shifter. Some JB weld and a quarter will fix the hole, and a pair of vice grips set on 'kill' can replace a lever or a shifter.

For a worse crash, there are little boxes that will summon help even in remote areas. (Personal Locator Beacons)

The best was to avoid injury is to wear good gear. You can bleed to death from road rash, and head injuries can make other lighter injuries add up to life threatening. The most common injuries in a bike accident start at the feet and go up. The most threatening start at the head and go down.

Helmet, boots, jacket, gloves, pants, every time, and you either need a Band-Aid, or serious help.

What other people have recommended for a general first aid kit is great. I'd add something for diarrhea, and something for nausea. Both are no fun in bike gear.
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:35 pm

cauldron wrote:I'd add something for diarrhea, and something for nausea. Both are no fun in bike gear.
Good call. Add something to combat Monkey Butt, also.

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

Return to “First Aid”