Trauma Sheers with nut and bolt?

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Trauma Sheers with nut and bolt?

Post by moab » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Does anyone make trauma sheers with an adjustable nut and bolt? That seems to be the most likely place of fail for me with trauma sheers around the house. They bend open on the rivet and can't be tightened back up.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Re: Trauma Sheers with nut and bolt?

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:03 pm

The only ones I can think of is the Leatherman Raptor Medical Shears, usually I consider shears to be a consumable. Normally by the time the center pin is having issues they are already dull as crap and I am ready to toss them anyway.
-NREMT - EMT
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

moab

Post by moab » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:10 pm

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:The only ones I can think of is the Leatherman Raptor Medical Shears, usually I consider shears to be a consumable. Normally by the time the center pin is having issues they are already dull as crap and I am ready to toss them anyway.
I cut an Ace bandage with mine last week. Like the whole roll. I needed a 6 inch wide one to be like 4 inches. But it bent the scissors so far apart at the rivet that they suck now. It's the only pair I carry in my INCH/BOB. And got to thinking there has to be a better tool. At least one where I can tighten that little bolt and nut like on professional scissors. I mean I could add one myself. But would prefer something engineered that way from the get go. Not really interested in the Leatherman shears either. Just normal sheers with a nut/bolt.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

weatherdude

Post by weatherdude » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:09 pm

moab wrote:
zXzGrifterzXz wrote:The only ones I can think of is the Leatherman Raptor Medical Shears, usually I consider shears to be a consumable. Normally by the time the center pin is having issues they are already dull as crap and I am ready to toss them anyway.
I cut an Ace bandage with mine last week. Like the whole roll. I needed a 6 inch wide one to be like 4 inches. But it bent the scissors so far apart at the rivet that they suck now. It's the only pair I carry in my INCH/BOB. And got to thinking there has to be a better tool. At least one where I can tighten that little bolt and nut like on professional scissors. I mean I could add one myself. But would prefer something engineered that way from the get go. Not really interested in the Leatherman shears either. Just normal sheers with a nut/bolt.
Other than the raptors or maybe even Big shears (google them), I can't think of any. However, as far as the raptors go, I own and use a pair, and they're the best shears I've ever owned. So much so that I EDC them. The only bug I have with them is that the screw that keeps the belt attachment/molle clip on the holster does get lose frequently, but wait, that's why we have multitools.
Johnathan
AHA ACLS, PALS, BLS Training Center Faculty

painiac

Post by painiac » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:29 pm

weatherdude wrote:However, as far as the raptors go, I own and use a pair, and they're the best shears I've ever owned. So much so that I EDC them.
Sigh. Now I need to add these to my shopping list. God damnit...
weatherdude wrote:The only bug I have with them is that the screw that keeps the belt attachment/molle clip on the holster does get lose frequently, but wait, that's why we have multitools.
Blue threadlocker will solve your problem pretty much for good (but can be undone if required).

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:47 pm

Damn, $59? Those Raptor's are nice, but not that nice.

You can buy trauma shears for $1.99 off Amazon. Think of them like Mora knives and just buy a shitload.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

weatherdude

Post by weatherdude » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:05 pm

painiac wrote:
weatherdude wrote:However, as far as the raptors go, I own and use a pair, and they're the best shears I've ever owned. So much so that I EDC them.
Sigh. Now I need to add these to my shopping list. God damnit...
weatherdude wrote:The only bug I have with them is that the screw that keeps the belt attachment/molle clip on the holster does get lose frequently, but wait, that's why we have multitools.
Blue threadlocker will solve your problem pretty much for good (but can be undone if required).
Thanks for that tip dude! As for making you need a pair...you're welcome. Those fuckers are sharp as hell though so watch your fingers and also watch that ring cutter....I first go them forgot it had one, and cut the webbing near my thumb...not very deep or anything but it was like a papercut type burn to it...just annoying. I'll say the O2 wrench is great on there and has many many other uses since it has the seatbelt cutter on it too.
Johnathan

painiac

Post by painiac » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:22 pm

weatherdude wrote: Thanks for that tip dude! As for making you need a pair...you're welcome.
No problem. Consider us even. Make sure you get the gel I pictured, It's a lot easier to work with.

crunch86
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 DAYS later, Zombieland

Post by crunch86 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Unless you're rebuilding an engine with a pair or something, nearly every pair of shears I've ever had has been lost long before they broke down.
I've seen some rather salty pairs coming back from combat zones...and they still work.

weatherdude

Post by weatherdude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:57 pm

painiac wrote:
weatherdude wrote: Thanks for that tip dude! As for making you need a pair...you're welcome.
No problem. Consider us even. Make sure you get the gel I pictured, It's a lot easier to work with.
Will do! In all seriousness, these shears are EXACTLY what we've come to expect from Letherman, and that is high quality and built to last.
Johnathan

painiac

Post by painiac » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:51 pm

crunch86 wrote:Unless you're rebuilding an engine with a pair or something, nearly every pair of shears I've ever had has been lost long before they broke down.
I've seen some rather salty pairs coming back from combat zones...and they still work.
I've never lost any of my gear, but I have snapped the rivets on 4 pairs of cheap trauma shears so far. (I consider them semi-disposable, so I abuse them. With my other gear, I'm more careful).

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:18 pm

crunch86 wrote:Unless you're rebuilding an engine with a pair or something, nearly every pair of shears I've ever had has been lost long before they broke down.
Same here.

My EDC items I'm good at keeping track of, but shears aren't one of those. They're also like black gel pens in that they're constantly being 'borrowed' and never returned.

Gear/equipment that's assigned to a specific box is also in the same category. Pulse ox's that don't work get swapped out for ones that do, plastic student stethoscopes get exchanged for Littmann's and Sprague's, grabbing mapsgo's, looting ETCO2 filter tubing when they're in short supply etc etc (gear adrift, must be a gift). Kinda why checking the box out at shift swap is so important, people are constantly grabbing gear off of the reserve and off-duty ambulances if the supply guy isn't in the cage.

Personal shit is a completely different story, untouchable and if they're a high priced item that you bought personally you could leave it anywhere and it would stay right there the whole day. So I doubt these would get 'borrowed', but at $60 I'd be paranoid about losing them as shears are one of those items that historically I haven't been very good at keeping track of.

They are some nice shears though. I might be able to keep track of those. I've been able to keep track of some pretty nice knives on shift
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Laevatein
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most

Post by Laevatein » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:48 pm

weatherdude wrote:
moab wrote:
Other than the raptors or maybe even Big shears (google them), I can't think of any. However, as far as the raptors go, I own and use a pair, and they're the best shears I've ever owned. So much so that I EDC them. The only bug I have with them is that the screw that keeps the belt attachment/molle clip on the holster does get lose frequently, but wait, that's why we have multitools.
I love mine but there is an issue about having the lanyard upside down.
There is enough room to run a para-cord under the clip. I will stay there
and not fall out.
'oderint dum metuant'

Jorian

Post by Jorian » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:10 am

We have shears made to our own spec, and the main difference is that we require an oversized rivet. The Raptor is a great tool - but it's more than just shears. So consider, if you're only using it as a pair of shears, you could buy 20+ pairs of shears for the same price.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:08 pm

My concern over the rivet is for long term INCH/BOB issues. I really don't want to carry the heavy LEatherman one. And the cheap ones you can't afford to take 20 with you. There must be something in between.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:53 pm

Drill out the rivet, visit home depot, profit?

Return to “First Aid”