EDC TQ

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

EDC TQ

Post by Makarov » Thu May 01, 2014 9:18 am

I'm considering to add a TQ to my EDC gear. Since I don't usually run a manpurse, this has to go into my jacket, and thus needs to be smaller than the CAT's that I stash in my medkits.

Now I've found 3 canidates, and that's the SWAT-T, the TK-4 and the RATS. Just looking at pictures I've found that neither of the 3 are as small as I'd like, but the RATS seem to be the most stowable of the 3.

Q 1: Is there any other minimal TQ's on the market that I'm missing out on?

Q 2: Does anyone have hands-on experience with the RATS?
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

PWA2600
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/28 Weeks Later.
The Walking Dead TV Series.
Resident Evil Series.
Others.

Re: EDC TQ

Post by PWA2600 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:13 am

Makarov,

By gauging the looks of the RATS, it definitely looks like an effective TQ, but when you compare it to the TK4, it is much heavier, and potentially more un-wieldy . The RATS website states it is 1lb or TQ, where as H&H says the TK4 is only 2oz. In addition the RATS does not show the prospective buyer (atleast that I saw) what the brand-new in the package device looks like, or dimensions there of. One last point, the TK4 is almost half the cost; so in my opinion you can either be the first to review the RATS TQ for us, or go with a proven piece of gear which will save you money, and space for your EDC.

Hope this helps.
"You do not truly own anything that you can't carry in both arms at a dead run"
- Robert A. Heinlein

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith"
-2 Timothy 4:7

"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees."
- Emiliano Zapata Salazar

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu May 01, 2014 2:45 pm

I said recently somewhere else, I have yet to see/hear/read about any documented saves or testing of the RATS. I personally wouldn't even consider it till otherwise. In addition it reminds me of the NATO tourniquet, which if you've ever had the pleasure of trying to use, is less than intuitive.

I have the TK4, TK4L, SWAT-T and they all seem to be pretty straight foward and work. Out of those, I'd probably recommend the TK4L, but their cheap enough to buy all of them, try for yourself, decide, and then buy more.

Another even better option is the SOFT-T, which can be re-folded a lot smaller than originially packed:
http://www.itstactical.com/medcom/medic ... ld-method/
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu May 01, 2014 3:15 pm

TK4s underperform pretty consistently. Most stretch tourniquets fail to get above 60% occlusion in the legs and less than 80% occlusion in the arms. I can't imagine RATS will do better, given it's yet another stretch tourniquet with a half-inch cross section.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Thu May 01, 2014 4:28 pm

Murph wrote:...it reminds me of the NATO tourniquet, which if you've ever had the pleasure of trying to use, is less than intuitive.
Ha! I'd forgotten about these. They've been issued here in Norway, and I've handled them briefly. As I remember they weren't all that bulky. Gonna talk to buddy tomorrow to see if I can fondle one again.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:TK4s underperform pretty consistently. Most stretch tourniquets fail to get above 60% occlusion in the legs and less than 80% occlusion in the arms. I can't imagine RATS will do better, given it's yet another stretch tourniquet with a half-inch cross section.
I've read all the lousy reviews on the TK-4, and that has held me back from buying some, even to test out.
And I'm going to buy some SWAT-T's to use as compression wraps (keeping pressure on the wound, holding bandages in place, wrapping the stump of a severed limb etc) and last ditch TQ's, but from what I've seen they're too bulky to EDC. Guess I'll see how big the NATO TQ's are.
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Thu May 01, 2014 5:38 pm

TK4 or SWAT......how about two TK4's, one in each back pocket and give one to the better half.

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu May 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Makarov wrote:
Murph wrote:...it reminds me of the NATO tourniquet, which if you've ever had the pleasure of trying to use, is less than intuitive.
Ha! I'd forgotten about these. They've been issued here in Norway, and I've handled them briefly. As I remember they weren't all that bulky. Gonna talk to buddy tomorrow to see if I can fondle one again.
Stupid thing reminded me of a blacksmith tavern puzzle.

ImageImage
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

PWA2600
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/28 Weeks Later.
The Walking Dead TV Series.
Resident Evil Series.
Others.

Post by PWA2600 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:14 am

The link below provides adequate information regarding TK4, TK4L, and CAT; from the article it mentions failure rates improved after two or three applications. This was due to the proficiency of the individuals applying these TQ's. Now granted this is from 2010; if anyone has more up-to-date information, I would love to read it. At least then I can decide to keep the Tk4's I have, or buy something else.

http://www.hwbf.org/ota/am/ota10/otapo/OTP10108.htm

Good Conversation guys.
"You do not truly own anything that you can't carry in both arms at a dead run"
- Robert A. Heinlein

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith"
-2 Timothy 4:7

"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees."
- Emiliano Zapata Salazar

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Fri May 02, 2014 11:25 am

Keep the TK-4's, just carry more than one in more than one places.

weatherdude

Post by weatherdude » Sun May 11, 2014 3:18 am

I would go with (and likely will myself soon, now that you put the idea in my head) the SWAT-T, if you're more concerned with the size. SWAT-Ts are packaged pretty small, most likely no bigger than your wallet in your back pocket.
Johnathan
AHA ACLS, PALS, BLS Training Center Faculty

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun May 11, 2014 6:33 pm

I had to go with a TK4 for my ankle FAK since the CAT was just too big, it really is quite small. and they seriously are like $3 a piece on eBay so for a "better then nothing" TQ they are great, but I did have a heck of a time getting them to work. probably going to take a lot more practice then a CAT and still not work as good, but compared to leaving the CAT at home and having nothing I'll take the TK4
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Return to “First Aid”