It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ryo's FAK
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:37 pm 

Ok just finished my FAK. It is for camping, hiking, shooting, and everything outdoors. I have seen a number of huge FAKs on this site however I chose to limit myself to a condor rip away emt pouch. I am not trained in anyway as a first responder unlike a lot of people here. Just your average guy with a little experience dealing with kids and drunk friends injuries over the years.

Here is the pouch closed up. It weights in at 3.12lbs and is literally stuffed full. The outside little pouch is a maxpedition surgical gloves pouch. I have made a few modifications to the condor emt. I removed the velcro strap to keep it closed without the zipper, it was rather annoying and always in the way. I also added a red paracord cobraweave to the grab handle, this stiffens it and now it always sticks up for easy grabbing.

you can see how stuffed full it is, a little hard to close but it closes.

inside the maxpedition glove pouch I keep items for minor cuts.
antiseptic towelettes packets
antiseptic ointment packets
various bandaids

here is the inside of the emt rip away pouch. stuffed.

this is the contents of the fold out mesh pouch.
excedrin migraine
benadryl
pepto bismol tablets
aleve
tylenol
aspirin packets
burn gel packets
2x dehydration salts
2x disposable thermometers
tooth repair kit

here is the middle section.
2x 3" elastic bandage (one with clips, one self adhesive)
1x triangle bandage
1 pair gloves (will add more as soon as the shipment gets here)
1x 1" roll of tape on paracord
small bag of q-tips
1x kerlix 4 1/2" x 4 yard bandage roll (underneath the ace bandages)
1X roll 3" gauze (under gloves)
1x olaes bandage
1x quick clot sport bandage (also under the ace bandages)

this is the topmost area when laid out.
1x benadryl itch stick
1x spray hand sanitizer
1x thermometer
1x nail clippers
2x tweezers (one angled, one square end)
sharpie - fine point marker
pencil (using a pen cap to protect sharpened end)
neosporin tube
led keychain light on paracord (it is very bright for a little keychain light)
rite in the rain 3x5 weatherproof notebook (this is what the pencil is for)
2x long cotton tipped applicator (big q-tips with wood sticks) no idea what I might need to use these for but I had them
1x instant cold pack
2x povidine-iodine solution packets. (each is stored in a ziplock bag that will be used in place of a syringe, one sandwich sized bag is almost the size needed to mix these per the directions)
1x 36" sam splint

any comments or suggestions are welcome.
The rip away emt pouch barely closes so I do not think I can add anything without taking something else out.
I have some more gloves coming in the mail and a tourniquet. I plan on placing the tourniquet in the middle section above the olaes bandage (I hope it fits)
I have one column of pals webbing available on the front still that I may use for a tourniquet holder.

Am I missing anything? Anything that I could/should get rid of? Major concerns in my AO are rattle snake bites, dehydration, black widow and scorpions, falling injuries in canyons. I've had close calls with the occasional stray bullet in the desert, some people have no common sense where to shoot. But 99% of this bags use will be minor first aid.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Ryo's FAK
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:53 am 

Not to be a dick, but with some minimal formal training you could probably consolidate a bit of equipment and lighten up by a few ounces, if not a pound.

Otherwise, well thought out, and well apportioned.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:09 am 

abelru wrote:
Not to be a dick, but with some minimal formal training you could probably consolidate a bit of equipment and lighten up by a few ounces, if not a pound.

I'm looking to take some classes in the future, have a other things higher up the priority list currently. What would you recommend I remove? That's one problem with looking in these forums for first aid kits, they are all HUGE. So I was thinking this is a little piece of everything I could potentially need.

I'm not worried so much about the weight but I would love the kit to close without me smashing it down to compress it while zipping it shut.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:55 am 

Overall I like it. Well put together. Lots of stuff, make sure you go over it a few times before you leave in case you need to get something out of there and say "damn were did I put that" while you or the person you're with are bleeding/screaming.

Oh and the training tip, priceless.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
"Our problems are man-made therefore they may be solved by man and man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings."
John F. Kennedy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:04 pm 

Nice assortment of goodies. Looks like you put some thought into it and have it wired pretty much to your needs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:44 pm 

Instead of kerlix, I'd just have the ace. I'd put an ABD (abdominal) pad there instead. I find they come in handy because they soak up a LOT of liquid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:03 pm 

NWDub wrote:
Instead of kerlix, I'd just have the ace. I'd put an ABD (abdominal) pad there instead. I find they come in handy because they soak up a LOT of liquid

could you link to an example? I'm finding a range of options when searching for abdominal pad. I would love a smaller option than the kerlix it takes up a lot of room.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:26 am 

Ryodan wrote:
NWDub wrote:

could you link to an example? I'm finding a range of options when searching for abdominal pad. I would love a smaller option than the kerlix it takes up a lot of room.

You could go with a couple 5x9's and an Ace wrap. However Kerlex is the bomb! SO many uses! And ab pad is just a big version of a 5x9 a least the ones we deal with.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
"Our problems are man-made therefore they may be solved by man and man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings."
John F. Kennedy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:25 am 

oh ok I have a 5x9 in the bathroom first aid box. the one I have isn't very foldable in its packaging though maybe on my next order from chinook (need to create 2 car first aid kits soon) I'll get one thats packaged smaller.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:19 am 

The kerlix, abd pad, and the ace are used for different things. The kelix is mainly for wound packing as it's fine lattice pattern aids in clotting. The ace is for external wrap on initial dressings. Keep them both. Don't get rid of the kerlix, the Abd pad and kerlix are two different things. Get some training though before you start to pair-down your gear. The training will help you minimize what you carry.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:46 pm 

any recommendations on training?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:42 pm 

Basic 1st aid and CPR is a start. Wilderness is amazing, depending on who gives the class. If you have a local PAW type medical class (patriot nurse etc) those work but don't certify you. If you really want to step up the training, you could go with a MFR (medical 1st responder) or EMT-Basic. Both of those are multiple weeks. Basic is a great place to really start understanding medical.

John F. Kennedy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:02 pm 

awesome, I took a cpr first aid course a long time ago, like 7 years ago. I will look into the wilderness first aid course. Found one locally for $280 ouch. but I have found a local mountaineering group that offers the class for free through meetup.com to members occasionally, not sure how often though. Also found a few other options to look into. I'll call a local volunteer search and rescue team we have here that I know has the class and see if it is open to people who are not volunteers with them, I'd volunteer and have wanted to but kids get in the way of that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:29 pm 

Ryodan wrote:
awesome, I took a cpr first aid course a long time ago, like 7 years ago. I will look into the wilderness first aid course. Found one locally for $280 ouch. but I have found a local mountaineering group that offers the class for free through meetup.com to members occasionally, not sure how often though. Also found a few other options to look into. I'll call a local volunteer search and rescue team we have here that I know has the class and see if it is open to people who are not volunteers with them, I'd volunteer and have wanted to but kids get in the way of that.

I started off volunteering for a local rescue squad/fire dept. They pay for most, if not all of your classes that you need. It depends on their financial situation but if not free, normally they or the state will supplement the cost of the class(es). Most only require minimal commitment, either monthly are a minimum yearly average of hours. Also a CERT team, shouldn't require, or if they do a very few hours of time. You will get more out of it then you put in and like most grow to like it and feel some pride in giving of yourself to your community.

As far as the IFAK, looks good. I would lose the oral rehydration and concentrate on major bleeding and minor ailments. Any kind of real emergency and you want to limit oral intake as you want to negate the possibility of vomiting/aspiration. If they are truly "dehydrated" then you will not be able to correct that in the field with an IFAK. Q-tips are good for getting foreign objects out of eyes and sweeping away residues. Kerlix is king, you can wrap, stuff, cut to fit, etc, etc. I personally like the OLEAS bandages, as they incorporate, an ABD, Kerlix and basically an ACE bandage and a pressure device/eye cup into one unit. Our department has gone to them and after using them a couple of times they are the go-to packs for a fair amount of our calls.

Good Luck and thanks for the post

Stimp

Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)

AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:30 pm 

Ryodan wrote:
I'm not worried so much about the weight but I would love the kit to close without me smashing it down to compress it while zipping it shut.

My personal take on IFAK's is that they should only be stocked with items which cannot be improvised or otherwise substituted, and items which save life or limb.

While all of the items shown are good to have, consider whether they are items that you NEED to have, immediately on hand, to mitigate a medical emergency. I would say that two types of thermometers is probably overkill (diagnostic equipment is probably better carried as part of a larger kit, and not in an IFAK), as well as two pairs of tweezers and the nail clippers. The roll of 2" tape could probably be a 1" roll, and be rolled onto a cut peice of chopstick or other small diameter object to minimize the space it occupies.
The pens, notebook, disinfectant, anti-itch cream and ORS could be ditched as well.
You can wrap tape around the kerlix roll (while still in the wrapper) to keep it compressed.

This would help keep the kit streamlined and easier to carry/close.

FWIW, when I'm doing any of the stupid shit I do in the great outdoors, I carry duct tape and a TQ in my pocket. Nothing more in terms of medical supplies on my person (unless I'm venturing out for several days).
However, in my car I carry a rather large aid bag with all the other stuff I might need. This approach might work for you as well.

Beyond the obvious benefits, formal training can help you sort out the "must-haves" from the "should-haves" from the "don't-needs". I would recommend taking an EMT course to start. EMT-B is easy for most folks to digest and apply in real world applications, is widely available, is often offered through JC's or vocational training programs, and often offered after hours or on weekends. It also gives you a solid foundation if you want to take any other more advanced courses.