Advice for Future FireFighter/Paramedic

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Re: Advice for Future FireFighter/Paramedic

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:43 pm

Aced my written Trauma Assessment sheet last night. Now its just the last couple of chapters, a final exam for the class, and then its full steam ahead for NREMT.
-NREMT - EMT
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:13 pm

Good job, Grifter! I've been silently following your thread since it has applied to myself lately as well (didn't want to deliberately hijack it either, of course). I am not as interested in the firefighter side of things, but I did a clinical ride-along with them, and I think that's a pretty good gig if you can get it.

I just finished my EMT course/written/practical and got certified with only about a week's time to spare between that the next AEMT class that I've now just begun. :P Has been a whirlwind, but I have enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm sure you'll do fine wrapping up your course and everything, but good luck too!
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:54 am

JayceSlayn wrote:Good job, Grifter! I've been silently following your thread since it has applied to myself lately as well (didn't want to deliberately hijack it either, of course). I am not as interested in the firefighter side of things, but I did a clinical ride-along with them, and I think that's a pretty good gig if you can get it.

I just finished my EMT course/written/practical and got certified with only about a week's time to spare between that the next AEMT class that I've now just begun. :P Has been a whirlwind, but I have enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm sure you'll do fine wrapping up your course and everything, but good luck too!
Thank you. AEMT, thats kickass. All of the ER Techs I have gotten to work with are certified as EMTs but Banner gives them an inhouse cert that allows them to Stick & draw blood, but they aren't allowed to push meds via IV.
-NREMT - EMT
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:11 pm

Sunday I did my second 12 HR Clinical rotation, I was at Casa Grande Regional Medical Center. Everyone there was very nice and more than willing to answer any questions I had or to allow me to assist. The whole day all we got was medical, no trauma, but I got a ton of experience with taking OPQRST and SAMPLE info and vitals. Also got a lot of exposure to different signs and symptoms. I am a lot less nervous about having to touch a patient for assessments or put an EKG / 5-lead on someone. My preceptor was awesome(she was a former flight Nurse too, which is badass points in my book). Once she felt like I was dialed on my knowledge she allowed me a ton of room to learn and grow.
-NREMT - EMT
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:52 pm

zXzGrifterzXz wrote: I am a lot less nervous about having to touch a patient for assessments or put an EKG / 5-lead on someone.
Putting your hands on a stranger is (in my opinion) the single hardest barrier to overcome when you're a new EMT. As soon as you get comfortable with invading somebody's space, you'll have a lot more confidence. Eventually, you'll achieve the gold standard of public safety - - appearing calm, confident and in control even though every fiber of your being is silently screaming in panic... :clap:

Sounds like the clinicals are going well!
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:10 am

TALK, TALK TO THE PATIENT WHILE YOU ASSESS............"Hey, my name's is Ian, I'm a Paramedic, Is it OK if I put a few pads on you just to check your heart out here for a 'sec? The Doc, wants me to keep monitoring you and once I put these pads on, I won't have to keep bothering you for a pulse. So what brings you in today?.......................Really?..............(Blah-blah-blah)"..........................TALKING RELAXES YOU, KEEPS THE PATIENT INFORMED, RELAXES THEM, AND HELPS YOU WITH THAT CHECK-LIST OF THINGS TO DO

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:30 am

IANMCDEVITT wrote:TALK, TALK TO THE PATIENT WHILE YOU ASSESS............"Hey, my name's is Ian, I'm a Paramedic, Is it OK if I put a few pads on you just to check your heart out here for a 'sec? The Doc, wants me to keep monitoring you and once I put these pads on, I won't have to keep bothering you for a pulse. So what brings you in today?.......................Really?..............(Blah-blah-blah)"..........................TALKING RELAXES YOU, KEEPS THE PATIENT INFORMED, RELAXES THEM, AND HELPS YOU WITH THAT CHECK-LIST OF THINGS TO DO
Excellent advice.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:43 am

IANMCDEVITT wrote:TALK, TALK TO THE PATIENT WHILE YOU ASSESS............"Hey, my name's is Ian, I'm a Paramedic, Is it OK if I put a few pads on you just to check your heart out here for a 'sec? The Doc, wants me to keep monitoring you and once I put these pads on, I won't have to keep bothering you for a pulse. So what brings you in today?.......................Really?..............(Blah-blah-blah)"..........................TALKING RELAXES YOU, KEEPS THE PATIENT INFORMED, RELAXES THEM, AND HELPS YOU WITH THAT CHECK-LIST OF THINGS TO DO
I couldn't agree more, especially with the older patients. They are more than happy to chat you up while you take vitals, which I try to use to my advantage when I am counting respirations. Though I will admit that it is still my weak point on taking vitals, my patients always seem to realize what I am doing and start to consciously breathe and skew the true reading.
-NREMT - EMT
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Then they have normal resps.............put 'em down for a 15-20. Also, if they can complete full sentences and won't STFU, then they have normal resps........................ALSO, always ask before you touch someone..............don't ever just reach out and grab someone's wrist.............that's a rookie clown who has ZERO patient repore skills...........if your working in the ER, let people know what your doing and why, it'll relax you, refresh you, and put them at ease little Brother, trust me. It also shows any preceptors watching and listening that you know what your doing and your relaxed.........Now if something seems "off" in the room, or it's a young female ETOH or acting fucked up or speaking inappropriately, GET SOMEONE ELSE IN THERE WITH YOU IMMEDIATELY.......PREFERABLY A FEMALE.

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:09 pm

IANMCDEVITT wrote:Now if something seems "off" in the room, or it's a young female ETOH or acting fucked up or speaking inappropriately, GET SOMEONE ELSE IN THERE WITH YOU IMMEDIATELY.......PREFERABLY A FEMALE.
Quoted for truth, I have a buddy looking for work as a cook or Walmart greeter now because of an allegation. No evidence, not even any real opportunity, just his word against hers. I don't know how the LE guys feel, but I would JUMP at the chance to carry a camera 24/7.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Mon May 05, 2014 2:55 pm

3rd Clinical in the bag. Spent a lot more time getting comfortable on vitals. Got a couple interesting "trauma" patients but nothing too exciting. Got to watch a concious sedation for a left shoulder dislocation with an associated fracture to the humeral head, good times.

Feeling good going into our Mock Registry this weekend, taught trauma assessment to someone in my class who had totally bombed their in class trauma assessment the previous week. They ended up being one of the most on point assessments that our instructor saw that day, that made me feel pretty good. If I know it well enough to teach it to someone else I must know it well enough to perform during my NREMT. Now I just need to keep practicing and help clean up all my skills in any spots that need a bit of work.
-NREMT - EMT
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

weatherdude

Post by weatherdude » Mon May 05, 2014 5:27 pm

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:3rd Clinical in the bag. Spent a lot more time getting comfortable on vitals. Got a couple interesting "trauma" patients but nothing too exciting. Got to watch a concious sedation for a left shoulder dislocation with an associated fracture to the humeral head, good times.

Feeling good going into our Mock Registry this weekend, taught trauma assessment to someone in my class who had totally bombed their in class trauma assessment the previous week. They ended up being one of the most on point assessments that our instructor saw that day, that made me feel pretty good. If I know it well enough to teach it to someone else I must know it well enough to perform during my NREMT. Now I just need to keep practicing and help clean up all my skills in any spots that need a bit of work.
Best way to see how well you know something, is to teach it. Also the best way to learn I've been told...not too sure on that one though. Good luck, sounds like you're doing well
Johnathan
AHA ACLS, PALS, BLS Training Center Faculty

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Sun May 11, 2014 9:19 pm

We did our mock NREMT Skills Practical on Saturday, I got a perfect score on all my skills except for Medical assessment(got a 38 out of a possible 42) because my proctor was grading very harshly after a number of my classmates totally bombed his station before it was my turn to go. Now its just studying for the final exam on thursday, but I am feeling good going into my real NREMT skills practical this upcoming saturday.
-NREMT - EMT
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Fri May 16, 2014 9:14 am

I crushed my 200 question Written Final Exam last night, now its ust skills practical tomorrow and then the NREMT CBT test once I get cleared by my school's administrator. Feeling good and confident going into our Skills Practical Exam tomorrow.

Also, I have my written exam with Mesa Fire/Medical Department on Tuesday morning. Oral boards start first week of June..........
-NREMT - EMT
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Mon May 19, 2014 7:53 am

Well done on all your hard work, and best of luck to you on getting into the field!
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:47 am

I've followed this thread a little and there's lots of good suggestions for Pt care and contact, just do yourself a favor and when you actually start doing the job bring your own food (hint : something healthy), take a small part of each day and exercise and glove and/or mask up.

Otherwise eventually you're going to be getting your lunch and dinner from the local convenience store or you'll be eating at the station where grease is it's own food group, you'll think that lifting all these fatass heavy Pt's is enough exercise (it's not) and eventually your yearly TB test will be a chest X-ray as you test positive for the tuberculin test.

Many of those rookies you went through with won't take care of themselves, they'll smoke like chimneys, eventually balloon with weight from the stress, poor diet and lack of exercise, die of heart attacks at 45 even though they're skinny, they'll be getting fitted with cpap for sleep apnea or dealing with Hep-C from a needle stick on some forgotten call that they got because some substitute partner left an open cath in a glove behind the Captain's chair (I know one guy that shit happened to).

Watch those needles, watch your back when lifting and use a blocker on MVA's (a Dallas guy just got killed a few months ago that way, got hit on an icy overpass and thrown off the bridge).

Not trying to be Debbie Downer. Congrats on your new career, I'm sure you're excited and you've worked hard to get here, but this is a high stress field and it consumes people and spits them out if they let it. Seriously, take care of yourself...no one else is going to.

The obesity/healthy food/exercise comments might not apply to you as much since that's what you started with originally and then overcame it and I imagine you'll maintain it, but included it anyway in case someone else is starting out in Fire/EMS and reads this. I've never had a weight problem, always lifted weights, but ended up with high cholesterol and high b/p from the diet. I have to do the chest X-ray every year and picked up two needle sticks (for me luckily they were negative). Also just got finished doing a UPPP plus tonsillectomy for sleep apnea, from the way the station sounded at night half my shift could use that or a cpap machine (a few ended up having to go to days as they did have to get one).

Take time for yourself occasionally and have something else. This job was here when you got here and it'll be there when you leave. Good luck and stay safe.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

weatherdude

Post by weatherdude » Mon May 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Browning 35 wrote:I've followed this thread a little and there's lots of good suggestions for Pt care and contact, just do yourself a favor and when you actually start doing the job bring your own food (hint : something healthy), take a small part of each day and exercise and glove and/or mask up.

Otherwise eventually you're going to be getting your lunch and dinner from the local convenience store or you'll be eating at the station where grease is it's own food group, you'll think that lifting all these fatass heavy Pt's is enough exercise (it's not) and eventually your yearly TB test will be a chest X-ray as you test positive for the tuberculin test.

Many of those rookies you went through with won't take care of themselves, they'll smoke like chimneys, eventually balloon with weight from the stress, poor diet and lack of exercise, die of heart attacks at 45 even though they're skinny, they'll be getting fitted with cpap for sleep apnea or dealing with Hep-C from a needle stick on some forgotten call that they got because some substitute partner left an open cath in a glove behind the Captain's chair (I know one guy that shit happened to).

Watch those needles, watch your back when lifting and use a blocker on MVA's (a Dallas guy just got killed a few months ago that way, got hit on an icy overpass and thrown off the bridge).

Not trying to be Debbie Downer. Congrats on your new career, I'm sure you're excited and you've worked hard to get here, but this is a high stress field and it consumes people and spits them out if they let it. Seriously, take care of yourself...no one else is going to.

The obesity/healthy food/exercise comments might not apply to you as much since that's what you started with originally and then overcame it and I imagine you'll maintain it, but included it anyway in case someone else is starting out in Fire/EMS and reads this. I've never had a weight problem, always lifted weights, but ended up with high cholesterol and high b/p from the diet. I have to do the chest X-ray every year and picked up two needle sticks (for me luckily they were negative). Also just got finished doing a UPPP plus tonsillectomy for sleep apnea, from the way the station sounded at night half my shift could use that or a cpap machine (a few ended up having to go to days as they did have to get one).

Take time for yourself occasionally and have something else. This job was here when you got here and it'll be there when you leave. Good luck and stay safe.
Quoted for truth. It really sounds more like (if we were doctors) "Physician heal thy self", however I think "EMT Watch ye ass" would be applicable here. As for the OP, Congrats on crushing that final. How'd your practicals go? And good luck with the Mesa Fire/Medical Dept. both written exam and oral boards. Know that EMS/Fire is a giant family, and all of us got each other's back. If you have questions, this forum has NEVER since I've been a member, been assholes about answering with logic and the desire to help others learn when they have a legitimate question. Stay Safe!
Johnathan

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Wed May 28, 2014 8:19 pm

Browning 35 and weatherdude, I couldnt agree more. And thank you everyone for the well wishes, it has been a long journey to get here and I am very excited to start the next portion of the story and begin my time with Mesa F/M.

On that front..........
I scored 95.5% on my written exam with Mesa Fire/Medical Dept and I have my first Oral Interview on the 12th of June.

Taking my NREMT CBT exam tomorrow morning.
-NREMT - EMT
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Thu May 29, 2014 12:54 pm

NREMT cut me off after 70 questions so I either rocked the test or I failed it so bad that mathmatically I had no chance to score an 80% if given 80 more questions. I'm inclined to think that I did well though since I felt like I had most of the questions figured it and locked down. It dirves me nuts that you dont get your score right there at the facility but hopefully I should have a score/results by tonight.
-NREMT - EMT
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Thu May 29, 2014 3:06 pm

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:NREMT cut me off after 70 questions so I either rocked the test or I failed it so bad that mathmatically I had no chance to score an 80% if given 80 more questions. I'm inclined to think that I did well though since I felt like I had most of the questions figured it and locked down. It dirves me nuts that you dont get your score right there at the facility but hopefully I should have a score/results by tonight.
You'll do just fine!

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Thu May 29, 2014 6:09 pm

Holy crap I had a number of spelling mistakes on my last post. Hahaha

I checked the NREMT website and.............. I passed!!! :mrgreen:

For those that have their NREMT cert, Registry sends you your certificate and cert card in the mail, correct? Also, do they let me know my actual score and how I did in each category?
Last edited by zXzGrifterzXz on Thu May 29, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-NREMT - EMT
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

weatherdude

Post by weatherdude » Thu May 29, 2014 6:54 pm

JIM wrote:
zXzGrifterzXz wrote:NREMT cut me off after 70 questions so I either rocked the test or I failed it so bad that mathmatically I had no chance to score an 80% if given 80 more questions. I'm inclined to think that I did well though since I felt like I had most of the questions figured it and locked down. It dirves me nuts that you dont get your score right there at the facility but hopefully I should have a score/results by tonight.
You'll do just fine!
Jim it's been a while since I've seen you around here. How's life been?
OP: Congrats on passing the NR exam!!
Johnathan

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Fri May 30, 2014 11:34 am

weatherdude wrote:
JIM wrote:
You'll do just fine!
Jim it's been a while since I've seen you around here. How's life been?
OP: Congrats on passing the NR exam!!

I'm fine, still a CRNA. I just bought a new bag:

Reason is I will need a tactical diaper bag in about 6 months :wink:

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Fri May 30, 2014 3:21 pm

JIM wrote:Reason is I will need a tactical diaper bag in about 6 months :wink:
Congrats, same here. My wife's due date is October 1st, which will be even more fun since that is roughly when I will be starting the Fire Academy. Do you have a link to the bag you decided on? Images don't load for me on my work computer.
-NREMT - EMT
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

Return to “First Aid”