It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:44 am 

Puracyn has been shown in studies to kill bacteria, viruses and fungal spores - including MRSA - within 30 seconds of exposure.

A first aid spray that gets great reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Puracyn-Wound-Spray-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B005G7M5ZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384000421&sr=8-1&keywords=puracyn

http://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-Animal-Wound-Skin-Care/dp/B00425DZTM/ref=pd_sim_hpc_3

I've used it on a kitten and it works.

http://www.puracyn.com/ http://vetericyn.com/

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:57 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I was about to say that stuff sure is expensive, but considering you're getting 16 oz of product, that $35 price tag doesn't seem so outrageous. Especially if it's demonstrably better than other OTC alternatives.

Anyone have any links to independent reviews/tests? This stuff seems promising but I'm not sold yet based exclusively on relatively few Amazon reviews.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:20 am 

It seems expensive, but a little goes a long way with the spray bottle.

As I posted above, I used it on a kitten with "diaper rash". She cleared up fast.

I've yet to try it on myself. Some pet supply sites have reviews also.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:06 am 

That stuff looks like a form of Dakins solution. Just much more stable. We used it overseas when doing wound care out in the populace because you could make a huge amount of wound wash with very little expense. Because it does not matter how well I clean the wound if the patient cant afford to keep it clean after I leave,

for the pricing difference Ill just make up a quart of dakins when I need it.

* Edit for those interested.... http://www.itstactical.com/wp-content/u ... lution.pdf

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:17 am 

From the product's website:
Quote:
The Puracyn® based family of products involves a unique, patented electrochemical treatment of dilute saltwater. A pH neutral solution of hypochlorous acid, and its sodium salt, hypochlorite, is generated. The hypochlorous acid in Puracyn is similar to the natural hypochlorous acid produced by the human body.

Unlike standard electrochemical processes where the unstable nature of the product makes onsite generation necessary, Puracyn has good stability and therefore is available to the consumer in a variety of containers. This stability is a result of the unique solution chemistry imparted through the patented manufacturing system.

There are no known drug/treatment interactions or contraindications with Puracyn-based products. Testing has demonstrated the gel and liquid products to be non-irritating, non-sensitizing and non-toxic. Through additional testing, Puracyn-based liquid products have been found to have no oral toxicity, cause no ocular irritation and are non-genotoxic.

Puracyn-based hydrogel products contain over 95% water. Moisture supplied to the wound by these gels creates a moist wound environment that re-hydrates.

The product claims to have longer shelf-stability than on-site electrochemical generation of disinfectant solution, which would make it more portable than some other solutions. The electrolysis of water in the presence of salt (saline) results in hydrogen and oxygen gas:
2 H20 --> 2 H2 (gas) + O2 (gas)
And sodium metal and chlorine gas:
2 NaCl (aq.) --> 2 Na (metal) + Cl2 (gas)
Subsequently, the sodium immediately reacts with the water to produce more hydrogen gas and sodium hydroxide (caustic soda):
2 Na (metal, aq.) --> 2 NaOH (aq.) + H2 (gas)
Some of the chlorine gas bubbles will escape from solution and some of the chlorine gas, if given enough time in solution, will react with the solution to produce sodium hyprochlorite (bleach) and hypochlorus acid (weak acid equilibrium resultant from bleach in water). You could now compare this to the statements from Puracyn above.
Cl2 (aq.) + 2 NaOH (aq.) --> 2 NaClO (aq.) + H2 (gas)
NOTE: By itself, this solution is expected to be slightly basic, which would be expected to improve the stability of the bleach in solution, because the addition of acid liberates the chlorine and oxygen (why you don't mix household cleaners) from the bleach. The "pH neutral solution" might be attained by adding sodium bicarbonate to buffer the solution.

They are essentially selling a version of Dakin's solution, which itself is primarily diluted bleach water. As they say in the product video: "the simplest solutions are often the best", and bleach has been shown to be effective (with long enough contact time and concentration) at killing just about anything.

The only advantages to this product might be any shelf-stability improvements, and having it pre-made meaning it is more time-efficient to apply, and you don't have to weigh or measure components to ensure you get the correct solution yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:27 am 

JayceSlayn wrote:
The only advantages to this product might be any shelf-stability improvements, and having it pre-made meaning it is more time-efficient to apply, and you don't have to weigh or measure components to ensure you get the correct solution yourself.

Which would make it it good to have in a BOB, your vehicle, garage, work shed and medicine cabinet. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:41 pm 

Clean water is so much cheaper...

painiac's Essential Guide to Concealed Carry
painiac's Essential Guide to Physical Assessment Skills: Part 1, Abdominal Pain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:13 pm 

priell3 wrote:
JayceSlayn wrote:

Which would make it it good to have in a BOB, your vehicle, garage, work shed and medicine cabinet. :mrgreen:

I think it would be a "nice to have" product if you could afford it, but for the price, and weight/volume if you are going to carry it by foot some distance, you would be better off bringing a little bottle of bleach and making your solution on the go. Disinfection is good wound care, but it isn't "urgent" in the sense that you need to have it done within minutes after the injury. You could sit down and take a few to make up some solution.

I should add that while my previous technical explanation of saline electrolysis looks kind of complicated, it is something that I personally constructed three separate apparatuses to do when I was about 9, using random bottles, batteries, wire, and pencil leads in my parent's house. I was trying to produce hydrogen gas, but my byproducts were oxygen and chlorine gas, and sodium hydroxide; at the time I knew that much chemistry at least. My mom found them bubbling away a few times and she threw them out, though. :( I understand that there may be some undisclosed manufacturing breakthrough they made to increase shelf life or whatnot, but the basic concept behind their product is just that, very basic. It is very expensive "activated" saline, one might say. I don't see why it should cost so much. It barely escapes "snake oil" classification, because it should at least do what it claims, just seems a little pricey for it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:14 pm 

I was a bit puzzled over the MRSA claims. Seems legit for Dankins Solution to kill off MRSA.

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/8353
http://www.bleachbath.com/how-it-works/dakins-solution/
http://allnurses.com/wound-ostomy-conti ... 73082.html

So, why these references?
Long term, being able to generate bleach from HTH may have more benefits than just purifying water. Don't forget the buffering material!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:50 pm 

I always have Vetricyn on hand. It is stable. And it works. I use it on the livestock, pets, and sometimes on me also. It has cleared up various infections. I agree it is worth keeping in your supplies. It comes in a spray and even an ophthalmic solution.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:35 pm 

Ill try it out. Definitely..never used it but will try it.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:23 am 

docdredd wrote:
That stuff looks like a form of Dakins solution. Just much more stable. We used it overseas when doing wound care out in the populace because you could make a huge amount of wound wash with very little expense. Because it does not matter how well I clean the wound if the patient cant afford to keep it clean after I leave,

for the pricing difference Ill just make up a quart of dakins when I need it.

* Edit for those interested.... http://www.itstactical.com/wp-content/u ... lution.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just started following ITS tactical, thanks for the link.