compact FAK?

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

hutchie

compact FAK?

Post by hutchie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:13 pm

looking for a compact first aid kit to fit in my rucksack. enough to cover me and my wife. looking for a suitable kit/container?

IM first aid trained/combat first aid trained

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Re: compact FAK?

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Probably just a Military IFAK with a few extra things added.

That's pretty minimal, but it covers all the important stuff.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

hutchie

Post by hutchie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:20 pm

was thinking along those lines, just wondered if anyone else had suggestions :)

okiebill

Post by okiebill » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:54 pm

What requirements are leading your decisions?

- Do you want your medical capabilities to determine what you are going to carry?

- Is size your primary concern?

- Do you have an idea of what you want the kit to be capable of treating?

Suitability is very subjective:-)

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:19 pm

This is how one of mine is set up.

I can actually still manage to get everything in the two ACU pouches.

-Epi pen
-8 sterile 4x4 gauze
-1 petroleum gauze bandage
-1 Ace bandage
-1 package of Celox
-1 pair trauma shears
-2 band aids
-1 28 Fr. NPA and one pack of lube
-2 sets of large gloves
1 two inch tape
-1 HandH compressed gauze
-2 Israeli bandages
-CAT tourniquet

In another kit in addition to the above I also have aspirin, ibuprofen, some phenergan and an anti-diarrheal. However this one's set up specifically for the range/shooting and so there's more of an emphasis on bleeding control. Everyone has their kits set up how they like them, this is just my take on it for more of a range IFAK that's about as minimal as I'd want to get as a GSW or some other significant wound.

There are kits like this that are already set up. You could just add as you go, that's what I did.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/efa-fa187-m ... -ifak.html

It seriously depends on what you want the kit to do, this one's set up for something specific.

The head-lamp, the flashlight, the glow-stick that's peeking out and the marker are out of the mag pouch, but if it were dark I still might use them. They aren't necessarily part of the IFAK kit though.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

hutchie

Post by hutchie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:41 pm

http://www.kitmonster.co.uk/product_inf ... cts_id/752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

liking this one at the moment :)

okiebill

Post by okiebill » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:36 pm

The kit you have listed is being sold out of date... never a good idea if you can help it.

I have always been able to build a kit cheaper then I could purchase one off the shelf, decide what you want the kit to do and go shopping.

A good small general boo boo Kit ( built for my sons camping trips)

A boo boo kit that is a part of a larger Trauma kit:

It may help to look at what is available then make your own as well.
http://www.narescue.com/Casualty_Respon ... 8B3D2.html

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:46 pm

I'm of the build your own variety. First you have to figure out your priorities:
For instance, I have a small FAK in my hiking/bugout bag, and it's sole purpose is "keep me alive, keep me going". It contains kerlix, tape, a couple izzies, two ace bandages, moleskin, some vaseline, etc. It's whole purpose is self treatment to get me to the trailhead/BOL.
I also have a car kit that is designed to treat multiple vehicle MVAs or support a group of 4 or 5 people for a month.
I'd suggest starting at walgreens or your local drugstore. You can buy a whole ton of kerlix, tape, gauze pads, abdominal dressings, etc. for way less than a store bought kit.
As for bags, I like to use those unfolding toiletry kits. They can be bought cheap anywhere, and they unroll to present your gear for easy use. The elastic bands for shampoo bottles and whatever are great for holding izzies and other priority items. I put most stuff in ziplock baggies, just to keep it dry.
Another option is a small hip pack, or those 3-pack of drybags you can get at walmart.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

hutchie

Post by hutchie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:56 am

well it arrived today and looks good :) will certainly do the job once i bulk it up a little

Return to “First Aid”