Online Red Cross First Aid & CPR class worth taking?

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

quazi

Online Red Cross First Aid & CPR class worth taking?

Post by quazi » Sun May 30, 2021 5:24 am

Taking the basic Red Cross First Aid & CPR class has been on my list of things to do for a very long time.

I noticed that they are offering these classes online now (because of Covid I guess?). I live quite a ways out of town so that would be far more convenient for me. However, I'm not sure if the class is worth taking online or if it much better to be in person and hands on? I have a little time off work coming up and I could spend a day in town.

I am planning on taking more classes in addition to this, but I thought it would be a good starting point. The Stop the Bleed class looked interesting, but it also looks like they don't have them quite as often as they used to.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Online Red Cross First Aid & CPR class worth taking?

Post by majorhavoc » Sun May 30, 2021 10:02 am

quazi wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 5:24 am
Taking the basic Red Cross First Aid & CPR class has been on my list of things to do for a very long time.

I noticed that they are offering these classes online now (because of Covid I guess?). I live quite a ways out of town so that would be far more convenient for me. However, I'm not sure if the class is worth taking online or if it much better to be in person and hands on? I have a little time off work coming up and I could spend a day in town.

I am planning on taking more classes in addition to this, but I thought it would be a good starting point. The Stop the Bleed class looked interesting, but it also looks like they don't have them quite as often as they used to.
Well, basic training in first aid and CPR is never a bad idea, ever. Online instruction is better than nothing, and as you say: a good starting point.

I'm a big fan of in-person classes though. Between the hands-on skills instruction and all the not-so-dumb-in-hindsight questions participants ask the instructor, I think you would get a lot more substance out of it than an online class, even if you're diligent/conscientious.

I do see the ARC Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED Online class is only $35 however. Hard to argue that isn't money well spent.

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Sun May 30, 2021 3:03 pm

I agree with the Major, online training beats no training, while in person training would trump virtual (generally).
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon May 31, 2021 3:05 pm

Yeah, I think you guys are right and I should just spend the time and money to get to town.

Return to “First Aid”