MAC MOD2 TCCC IFAK 2 IS ONE AMAZON BUILD 2020

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

MAC MOD2 TCCC IFAK 2 IS ONE AMAZON BUILD 2020

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:57 am

I'm in the process of building a new plate carrier setup and was in need of another IFAK for it. So this time I figured why build one when I can have two for twice the price.

I also wanted to see if building most of it using Amazon purchases would work out. I'm not really going for cheapest here or best deals, but I am building from scratch with what I want in it by not purchasing a prebuilt IFAK. And I know I could have bought prebuilts for less money, but in every one there's things I don't want, and then things i'd have to add that might not fit.

That said, lets get on with the build...

TCCC IFAK
Tactical Combat Casualty Care Individual First Aid Kit

I already had some stuff for it:
Gloves
Combat Pill Packs: 1000mg Ibuprofen, 250mg Acetaminophen, 50mg Antihistamine, Antibiotic
Comfort Kits: Antibiotic Ointment, Bandaids, Tweezers, WetWipes, Alcohol rubs, eyewash
Scissors
A Chest Seal
Permanent Markers

So I only had to buy this list of items to make 2 complete IFAKs with some leftovers. ~$165.00
1) CAT Tourniquets - 3 pack
1) Tourniquet pouch [not for the IFAK but bought a 3 pak of TQ's so this will add-on to the plate carrier as a #2]
1) 'Combat' Gauze - 24 pack
1) Clotting Agent - 6 pack
1) Chest Seal
1) Elastic Bandages - 4 pack
1) Triple Antibacterial Ointment - 50 pack
1) Pair of Scissors
2) 14g Catheters
2) NPA's
2) IFAK pouches to hold it all

Amazon split the order up into about 5 shipments, and there was a shipping charge on the Catheters for $5 which I included in the total above. They were ~$1.29 each. :shock: I was also worried about these because the tracking said ETA 4/29 via USPS but then it went into delivered status on 3/30 but I hadn't gotten it yet. Went to Amazon to report the issue but the order noticed as 'not eligable for refund, contact seller'. But they came the next day. So it was pretty easy to do this via Amazon, and now I have 2 more IFAKs.

I bought 2 Condor IFAK pouches mainly for the price but also because they have a couple things I think are useful.
They have a velcro 'tear away' backing with handle feature, so it can be removed from molle gear or from any other item it's attached to quickly and can be thrown if necessary.
They have a quick open zipper feature that can be utilized either attached to molle or a belt or after being pulled off the velcro backing.
They can be attached to molle or attached to gear by an adjustable buckle strap.
$16.95 each.

LEFT SIDE
Chest Seal
NPA
2 Elastic bandages
2 Gloves

RIGHT SIDE
PIll Pack
Comfort Kit
Marker
Catheter
2 Gauze
CAT TQ

OUTSIDE
Sissors

It packs up OK, kind of thick tough, about 4", but I have a CAT TQ and Chest Seal in there.

The leftover gauze and Ointment will go into my HFAK. [Or Squad FAK if you prefer it be more 'tacticool']

I lean toward keeping gauze, clotting agent, and elastic bandages as separate items in the IFAK's instead of those vacuum sealed Combat Pressure dressing with infused quick clot agents because the latter is for a specific use IMO, and the former can be used many ways, as well as combined to make a combat pressure dressing with quick clot. It probably makes the IFAK fatter doing that. I could reduce the quantity from 2 of each to one of each but 2 each does fit, its just fat. It costs less also, I basically have 4 Combat Pressure dressings with leftovers, for the price of 1.5 of those vacuum sealed ones.

ASIDE: An Altoids tin will hold the Pill Pak and the Comfort Kit for use in your GoBag, BoatBag, GBHB, EDC bag, etc. its pretty efficient way to carry that stuff, try to add a packet of sunscreen and a packet of bug be gone also if you can find them in the squeeze packets. I pre-assemble a few of these and keep them in ziplocks, then just add the ziplocks to the tins or the FAKs as needed. Pill Pack and Comfort Kit are kept as separate kits.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

VXMerlinXV

Re: MAC MOD2 TCCC IFAK 2 IS ONE AMAZON BUILD 2020

Post by VXMerlinXV » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:16 pm

Just a warning to anyone following this, I have, first hand, seen genuine CAT’s ordered from amazon that resulted in counterfeits being delivered. Those counterfeits resulted in a significantly high failure rate when applied. This has happened multiple times. I always get mine through official NARP dealers, or just from NARP itself if I’m putting an order in.

Nice FAK Mac. I 100% agree with splitting components up (Ace, pad, packing) vs a standalone trauma dressing. I honestly only pack Izzys/ETD’s in very specific kits, my normal bags and FAK’s are all components. Though I really would love to get next level and start food saver packing my pressure dressing kits together, so I could use them individually if called for, but could access the whole group in a hurry if I needed to.

Which Abx did you pack?
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:28 pm

VXMerlinXV wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:16 pm
Just a warning to anyone following this, I have, first hand, seen genuine CAT’s ordered from amazon that resulted in counterfeits being delivered. Those counterfeits resulted in a significantly high failure rate when applied. This has happened multiple times. I always get mine through official NARP dealers, or just from NARP itself if I’m putting an order in.
Me too on all. Amazon is ok for knock off scopes, cheap accessories and such but they are not all trustworthy for many, many items. I have quit using them for anything outside of the above. Some items that I ordered that either went back or were fakes includes: Surefire Flashlight, CR123 Batteries, any kind of nice scope over $200, CAT's among other things. I simply don't order most things from them any more. I have the same problem in the Walmart Market Place. Rescue Essentials, Galls, Optics Planet, LA Police Gear and a few others are much more reliable.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:35 pm

VXMerlinXV wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:16 pm

Nice FAK Mac. I 100% agree with splitting components up (Ace, pad, packing) vs a standalone trauma dressing. I honestly only pack Izzys/ETD’s in very specific kits, my normal bags and FAK’s are all components. Though I really would love to get next level and start food saver packing my pressure dressing kits together, so I could use them individually if called for, but could access the whole group in a hurry if I needed to.

Which Abx did you pack?
AZ 500mg

I want to do my own vacuum sealing also with thicker walled plastics. Not there yet either. That would make the IFAK compress a little. There are thick 'jewelry' ziplocks that are small that work, but no vacuum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember, this was an Amazon IFAK build on purpose as a test, and I did check who the sellers were and with the exception of the pouches and the catheters, they were all fulfilled by Amazon. Everything looks like it would hold up until EMT's can arrive.

These CATs look exactly like one I have direct from NARP. 3 pack for $25 and no negative reviews out of 739, actually all 739 are 5 stars on Amazon for seller Likii. REVIEWS >> https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF ... asStoreID=
I don't usually look at positive reviews, only negative, but there weren't any in the lifetime of that sales account. Since I'm not done with the plate carrier, i haven't yet opened the plastic on them to test them but the one going on the plate carrier, I was going to wait but i will open and test as it will be set up for QA. I plan not to open the others until needed. I'll post the results later.

I"m not concerned about the gauze and elastic bandages, the Condors are the real deal made in china, the TQ holster is NCStar so same.
The NPA is a Robertazzi made in Malaysia and looks authentic.
The catheter is made in China and looks authentic, is sturdy, and sterile sealed. Could be a counterfeit but it's a generic and appears that it would work to put in a nose ring or to relieve a pneumothorax. Sold by Sannysis
The Halo chest seal look real, could be counterfeit, sold by BP MEDICAL SUPPLIES
Celox looks real, made in UK, Sold by Amazon.com Services LLC
The antibiotic ointment is generic and could be counterfeit. But I've been using it on a cut on my thumb for 2 days with no negative side effects. Sold by Amazon.com Services LLC

Image :lol: :mrgreen:
Lifetime gamer watch at:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:55 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:35 pm
Image :lol: :mrgreen:
:lol:

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:03 pm

Those jewelers bags are great. I use a ton of them.

Hope your hand feels better. A few OT sessions will limber up that third digit.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:21 am

The ointment Is made in Connecticut USA.
VXMerlinXV wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:03 pm
Those jewelers bags are great. I use a ton of them.

Hope your hand feels better. A few OT sessions will limber up that third digit.
That's the good finger, undiagnosed but suspected Stenosing Tenosynovitis or Dupuytren’s contracture.
It comes and goes based on social distancing or watching certain TV news, but is pretty constant when driving to and from work. I used to call it 'Tourette's Finger'.

Lifetime gamer watch at:

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed May 27, 2020 3:35 pm

UPDATED

Moved the Scissors to the inside
Added the moral patches [also acquired thru Amazon $5.99 each.] Grey on Black for the black IFAK and Green on Tan for the coyote brown IFAK
Made up a bunch of TCCC CARDS [on cardstock] that fit in the 3X5" zip seal bags I'm using for my combat pill packs.

Lifetime gamer watch at:

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Thu May 28, 2020 9:17 am

Looks good. I like the preprinted cards, and keeping them in the bag is really smart.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu May 28, 2020 9:41 am

VXMerlinXV wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:17 am
Looks good. I like the preprinted cards, and keeping them in the bag is really smart.
Those 3x5 bags are the perfect size to fit in a pocket located behind the TQ, and the top of the bag sticks out so you can grab it out easily. There are actually three bags in that pocket, one has 2 of the quick clot, one has the comfort kit, and one has the pill pack with TCCC Card.

Those shown in the photo are waiting pills and are extra / backup / refills. I'm going to use a hole punch to the top of the card and tie a string on it so it so can be attached to a person who uses the kit. those cards are also scaled to IIRC 75% of 'official' size to fit in the bag.
Lifetime gamer watch at:

SteelWolf

Post by SteelWolf » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:13 pm

Some feedback, there's a lot I like, and a lot I would recommend improvement on.

1. The CAT Tourniquet in your photo is 100% a FAKE. I'm a NAR dealer, and can assure you, that you should not rely on that "tourniquet" as a life saving tool for yourself or a loved one. Please purchase your tourniquets from a reputable dealer. Here's a blog post I wrote on fake CAT's, which includes a news article reporting on a death caused by a counterfeit CAT:
https://archangeldynamics.com/blog/f/wh ... ourniquets

2. The Decompression Needle you have selected is too short to decompress an adult chest. Catheters less than 3.25" have been shown is multiple studies to be incapable of penetrating through the chest wall, with efficacy approaching 90%, vs a 65% failure rate with shorter catheters.

3. The Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care (CoTCCC) no longer recommends the use of powdered hemostatic agents, due to an increase in thromboembolic events, difficulty placing directly to the source of bleeding and poor performance in windy environments and instead recommend using impregnated gauze, such as Quikclot Combat Gauze and CELOX Gauze products.

4. Combat Pill Pack. Dump the Ibuprofen. NSAIDS have no role in bleeding trauma patients as they decrease the body's ability to clot. I'd move the antihistamine to the comfort pack.

But I'm not a total Debbie downer.
1. Elastic wraps: I prefer purpose built pressure bandages for their convenience, but an elastic wrap works just fine too, and is more cost effective. Also, I'd much rather use a $2 ace wrap than a $10 pressure bandage to stabilize orthopedic Injuries. Good call.
2. Gauze, gauze and more gauze! I would recommend grabbing some H&H Primed gauze, TACgauze or NAR Gauze (simply because the packaging is more compact and you get way more packing medium than a Kling roll), but you can never have enough gauze.
3. HALO Seals: I'm a huge fan of these. We recently started distributing for Integrated Medcraft (the US Distributor for HALO) and love their new IFAK compact packaging. Vented chest seals are preferred, but not required. Those do appear authentic for their older packaging.
TEMS / Flight Paramedic. NRP, FP-C, TP-C.
OIF / OEF Combat Veteran
Owner / Chief Instructor of Archangel Dynamics, LLC. Come visit us for all of your Medical Preparedness needs!
Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:11 am

SteelWolf wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:13 pm
Some feedback, there's a lot I like, and a lot I would recommend improvement on.

1. The CAT Tourniquet in your photo is 100% a FAKE. I'm a NAR dealer, and can assure you, that you should not rely on that "tourniquet" as a life saving tool for yourself or a loved one. Please purchase your tourniquets from a reputable dealer. Here's a blog post I wrote on fake CAT's, which includes a news article reporting on a death caused by a counterfeit CAT:
https://archangeldynamics.com/blog/f/wh ... ourniquets

2. The Decompression Needle you have selected is too short to decompress an adult chest. Catheters less than 3.25" have been shown is multiple studies to be incapable of penetrating through the chest wall, with efficacy approaching 90%, vs a 65% failure rate with shorter catheters.

3. The Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care (CoTCCC) no longer recommends the use of powdered hemostatic agents, due to an increase in thromboembolic events, difficulty placing directly to the source of bleeding and poor performance in windy environments and instead recommend using impregnated gauze, such as Quikclot Combat Gauze and CELOX Gauze products.

4. Combat Pill Pack. Dump the Ibuprofen. NSAIDS have no role in bleeding trauma patients as they decrease the body's ability to clot. I'd move the antihistamine to the comfort pack.

But I'm not a total Debbie downer.
1. Elastic wraps: I prefer purpose built pressure bandages for their convenience, but an elastic wrap works just fine too, and is more cost effective. Also, I'd much rather use a $2 ace wrap than a $10 pressure bandage to stabilize orthopedic Injuries. Good call.
2. Gauze, gauze and more gauze! I would recommend grabbing some H&H Primed gauze, TACgauze or NAR Gauze (simply because the packaging is more compact and you get way more packing medium than a Kling roll), but you can never have enough gauze.
3. HALO Seals: I'm a huge fan of these. We recently started distributing for Integrated Medcraft (the US Distributor for HALO) and love their new IFAK compact packaging. Vented chest seals are preferred, but not required. Those do appear authentic for their older packaging.
Excellent post Steel! I have saved this for my personal notes.

Thank you for your critique.

Return to “First Aid”