Grifter's Aid Bag

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

s.leinicke

Re: Grifter's Aid Bag

Post by s.leinicke » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:39 am

zXzGrifterzXz wrote: - Trauma Shears
- 'CAT' Tourniquet
- 1 or 2 Izzy Bandages
- 2 or 3 Rolls of Kerlix Gauze
- Chest seal or some kind of occlusive dressing
- Small roll of medical tape/Duct tape
- 2 or 3 pairs of Nitrile Gloves
Why Kerlix over compressed gauze? (like this http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/ ... -Compliant)

Do you need any kind of training to use an occlusive dressing? Do you just clean around the wound and slap it on?

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:49 pm

s.leinicke wrote:Why Kerlix over compressed gauze? (like this http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/ ... -Compliant)
They are pretty much the same thing so its mostly personal preference but I have three reasons for recommending Kerlix.

#1 - First and foremost, I am most familiar/comfortable with using Kerlix and have more hands-on experience using it.

#2 - In MY Opinion, since its rolled its easier to work with and wrap around an injury.

#3 - Its usually cheaper.

I will say though, if you are building a blowout kit for an individual then compressed gauze usually does take up less space, if that is a factor.
s.leinicke wrote:Do you need any kind of training to use an occlusive dressing? Do you just clean around the wound and slap it on?
I believe its considered an EMR or First Responder skill but you have the basic idea. Grab a fistful of Gauze/Kerlix in One hand and have the Occlusive dressing ready in the other hand, Wipe the blood away with the one hand and slap the occlusive dressing over the wound with the other hand. Standard Medical Disclaimer applies, YMMV, Don't try this at home, Get Training..... it saves more lives than fancy items and shiny guns.
-NREMT-P
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:12 am

I admittedly need to update my first responder it's been probably five years since I took it, but they didn't train us with occlusive dressings.

EDIT:
Why asherman over bolin? Is it just cost/comfort?

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:44 pm

s.leinicke wrote:EDIT:
Why asherman over bolin? Is it just cost/comfort?
That's another personal preference one, some people swear by them, some people hate them. At the end of the day, either will work better than most field improvised occlusive dressings and I just have easier access to ashermans.
-NREMT-P
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

zXzGrifterzXz

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:06 pm

I really need to update the packing list in this bag along with some updated pictures. Also I have my Paramedic now so the party is a little more fun these days.
-NREMT-P
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:42 pm

I can’t wait to see what a 10 year evolution on an Aid bag looks like. I’m... 3 full sized bags past the STOMP2 I was hauling in 2008
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

jdavidboyd

Post by jdavidboyd » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:57 pm

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:06 pm
I really need to update the packing list in this bag along with some updated pictures. Also I have my Paramedic now so the party is a little more fun these days.
Would love to see that! You should make that one of your highest priorities! :-)
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?

Return to “First Aid”