Too many cooks in the kitchen

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

norcalprep

Too many cooks in the kitchen

Post by norcalprep » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:17 pm

Today, with too many cooks in the kitchen, a lack of coordination resulted in a pan hot out of the oven left on the counter. My wife, thinking to move it, picked it up with her bare hand and burned herself. Despite having medical training, she was so surprised it was hot she was just stuck in place. I had to snap her out of it, and stick her hand in running water while I ran to get the burn kit.

It's been 12 hours now since her injury, and with the combination of Water Jel pads, kerlix, and OTC painkillers, she actually doing pretty good now.

Prepping is life! Make sure you have the abilities to address burns, everybody!

VXMerlinXV

Re: Too many cooks in the kitchen

Post by VXMerlinXV » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:35 am

Nice work, sorry she got hurt. If she’s ok with it, can we get some pics of the wound next dressing change? This could be a cool running case study.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:52 am

Sorry, burns suck, speedy recovery wishes. Never tried the Water Jel dressings but the Burn Jel is worth its weight in gold (and only costs its weight in silver...) when it comes to pain relief. What's your/her thoughts on the Water Jel, worth the cost to stock up? And was it still within the expiration period on the package?

If you decide to do the case study, mind keeping track of the supplies/meds used as well? Would be informative not only for the amounts but also the cost.

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:14 pm

Thanks for the well wishes, but I didn't take many pictures. Was a little distracted, to say the least. :ohdear:

Anyways, here's one after maybe 24 hours or so? I wish I had a pic when it was really inflamed and bubbly. It looks deflated now as all the blisters have reabsorbed and you can only tell something happened because the skin is now loose. You can see it on the pads of her thumb and fingers and the web of her hand. The shiny stuff is aloe.

I have Water Jel brand burn dressings in all my travel kits, vehicle trauma kits, and a dedicated burn kit at home staged between the kitchen and our patio firepit. While we've used the little squeeze pouches before for minor burns, the is the first time we actually used the bigger dressing. Totally swear by it as my wife expressed relief very quickly. The products are not expired. (While I don't really believe that they really expire so I don't throw them away, I still rotate out the products on my kits and keep the remaining old stock in a storage bin in my home office.)

For costs, the only significant cost is the burn dressing ($4.75 for the 4x4 from Rescue Essentials) as OTC medicine is only a few cents per, and since I bought kerlix by the case, I think it comes out to $0.38/roll. Aloe is from the yard. Total treatment cost after a few rolls is around $6. My wife's other medical friends looked it over and said she'll be fine, aside from the tingling for the next few days; no signs of infection. We got to it fast enough to prevent any serious damage.

Not addressing the veterans of ZS here, but for a beginner prepper that may be reading this, that $6 cost is probably a misleading figure. That $6 is only the cost for me to replace the used supplies. I think over the past decade I've spent maybe around $200 in just burn care supplies, covering all different sizes of burn dressings, buying new ones as stuff expire, and multiples of each to resupply each kit. We're probably going to add another car next year, so I have to make a kit for that, too! On top of everything, spending the time to organize and keep track of where all the supplies are, their expiration dates, physically inspect my kits twice a year (particularly the vehicle kits as they sit in hot summer sun), and any training or review as needed. For a beginner prepper, it's not 'you only need to spend $6 and you've got the Burn category covered'. It's a starting point and a long term investment. Over a decade, I spent maybe $200 for just dressings alone and countless hours on just that topic... all to be able to be in action for only all of 30 seconds.

For me the bottom line: my wife is happy, so I am happy, so it's all worth it.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:46 pm

Thank you for sharing. That must have hurt! I"ve done similar things when working in kitchens.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:35 am

I hate burns. They hurt underneath the skin and ache for days.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:50 am

That looks good for a 2nd degree burn (unless I'm mistaken) 24 hrs later. Thinking the most damaged skin may die in the next few days? That was my experience with a 2nd degree grease burn anyway, the redness and blisters looked much better in a short time but the most damaged skin began to discolor and die later, leaving semi-weepy wounds after some gentle debridement to remove the dead skin. The skin over what looks like the worst blisters (on her thumb) does look very viable though, if so congrats on the fast action and the right care. Did you apply new dressing(s)/bandage(s) after the pic or no? That was where I used the most supplies, the twice daily dressing changes for the first few days then once daily after it stopped weeping.

Hope you're right about the expiration dates on those Water Jel dressings too, the few I have expired this year but hoping they'll be good for at least a few more.

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:03 am

I never did follow up on this thread, sorry.

As an epilogue: by day three, all of the loose skin had tightened back up, with tingling negligible. By day four, all tingling was gone and there was no evidence that she had ever been burned. The skin remained viable and never discolored or flaked off after the injury.

I think my main takeaway from this incident is to emphasize how important it is to start cooling burns immediately. I'm pretty sure it was a significant amount of luck how quickly we got to it (the faucet in the sink was just two steps away when it happened; if this injury occured near the patio firepit, the results would be different). Time definitely played a part in the speed and ease of recovery, as it looked pretty nasty in the beginning. On my next restocking order, I am definitely getting a few extra dressings. The cost is so minimal in comparison to how quickly it assisted recovery.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:01 pm

That's great to hear.

Oh, and thanks for ruining the thread :clownshoes:

Return to “First Aid”