Ace wrap in the UK

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ershin

Ace wrap in the UK

Post by Ershin » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:52 pm

So, over here I can find ace wrap on amazon - but they're around £10 each (I'd guess around $15 assuming rates are what I remember). I also can't seem to find any unbranded generic elastic bandages.

We have something called a crepe bandage (maybe other countries do too, don't know) which are.. well, I don't think they're the same thing. The elastic is very, very weak - and so is any support they offer. I assume ace wraps are more like very lightweight powerlifting wrist wraps, based on how they look, and I really can't find anything like that here.

Currently I'm using cohesive bandages/vet wrap, which ticks some of the same boxes.

Anyone know where I can find an equivalent in the UK?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Ace wrap in the UK

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:17 pm

The crepe bandage you're referring to is what we here in the US would likely refer to as "cling" or "Kling" (Kling being the brand name) and you're correct, it's not anything like an elastic bandage. What you're looking for is a "compression" bandage.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:35 pm

I use K lite (https://m.spservices.co.uk/item/Brand_K ... 541_1.html) bandages in most of my kits.

Used it for support of soft tissue injuries and securing pads /splints etc and packed a wound (dogs hip).

Never needed anything thicker /stronger, though I have used coban / vet wrap as well. Them only problem with vet wrap is it often contains latex, we have ditched latex as far as possible due allergies (we have one consultant at the hospital that is anaphylactic to latex).
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

Ershin

Post by Ershin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:40 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:17 pm
What you're looking for is a "compression" bandage.
I tried searching for that - I didn't seem to get anywhere, mostly turned up cohesive bandages, kinesiology tape, elastic adhesive bandages and regular conforming bandages.
K9medic wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:35 pm
I use K lite (https://m.spservices.co.uk/item/Brand_K ... 541_1.html) bandages in most of my kits.

Used it for support of soft tissue injuries and securing pads /splints etc and packed a wound (dogs hip).

Never needed anything thicker /stronger, though I have used coban / vet wrap as well. Them only problem with vet wrap is it often contains latex, we have ditched latex as far as possible due allergies (we have one consultant at the hospital that is anaphylactic to latex).
Thanks, I'll give those a try. At the risk of sounding naive, have you used them for support on a person as opposed to a dog? I would -guess- people may need stronger support due to weight? Am I correct in thinking you work mainly with dogs? Just guessing with the name.
My wife has been prone to joint injury in the past, and the most probable big problem I see us encountering is a bad ankle sprain/injury somewhere remote.

Do you know of any latex-free equivalents to vet wrap? It doesn't concern me too much - In all probability I'm only ever going to be needing this for either myself or my wife, and neither of us are allergic.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:52 pm

Ershin wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:40 pm
NT2C wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:17 pm
What you're looking for is a "compression" bandage.
I tried searching for that - I didn't seem to get anywhere, mostly turned up cohesive bandages, kinesiology tape, elastic adhesive bandages and regular conforming bandages.
First few results I get on Amazon.co.uk:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/rosenice-Banda ... ndage+roll

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharplace-Brea ... ndage+roll

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SunniMix-Elast ... ndage+roll

Those in turn lead to:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharplace-Elas ... G54PRXJHBE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elasticated-Co ... G54PRXJHBE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharplace-Elas ... G54PRXJHBE

Are none of those what you're looking for?
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Ershin

Post by Ershin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Those are indeed what I'm looking for. I get -very- different results when I search. I think amazon changes what it displays based on your account history? Amazon uk includes listings for items sold from America/to America from overseas - I would hazard a guess its showing those to you first because of your ip address? The seller details for the items you linked are, barring one, all from Shenzhen - and I suspect most of the chinese sellers on amazon are going to prioritize the American market.

Thanks for finding them for me!

For reference, my first results are 3 cohesive bandages, followed by an ankle support.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:38 pm

Ershin wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:59 pm
Those are indeed what I'm looking for. I get -very- different results when I search. I think amazon changes what it displays based on your account history? Amazon uk includes listings for items sold from America/to America from overseas - I would hazard a guess its showing those to you first because of your ip address? The seller details for the items you linked are, barring one, all from Shenzhen - and I suspect most of the chinese sellers on amazon are going to prioritize the American market.

Thanks for finding them for me!

For reference, my first results are 3 cohesive bandages, followed by an ankle support.
Amazon does indeed tailor search results to your history, and I do have an Amazon.co.uk account because I've bought on there many times before, but for this search I used a "sterile" browser, a proxy IP based in Scotland, and did not log into my UK account, so as to try and get results that would better emulate the sort of results you were getting. What matters though is that your items were found and we've been able to help you out. :wink:

Ershin

Post by Ershin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:56 pm

Well, that will teach me to assume :D

I just tried a UK (not sure where in the UK, mind) proxy, and while I didn't get your results exactly, I did get one of them on the first page. Have to try that next time I can't find something!

CG

Post by CG » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:25 pm

Ershin wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:40 pm
My wife has been prone to joint injury in the past, and the most probable big problem I see us encountering is a bad ankle sprain/injury somewhere remote.

Do you know of any latex-free equivalents to vet wrap? It doesn't concern me too much - In all probability I'm only ever going to be needing this for either myself or my wife, and neither of us are allergic.
I am a klutz who has sprained an ankle standing still on a flat surface before. I went up on my tiptoes to get something out of the truck this morning, and my ankle tried to give out.

Anytime we go on a trip, the major ankle brace that I can still walk 5 miles uphill both ways in the snow on (ok, maybe not THAT much) goes with us. It's the type that slides on, laces up, then wraps around with velcro. I don't leave the house for anything more than a run into town without an ankle brace in the car. I need to add my wrist braces and knee brace (who knew it could go the wrong direction just getting out of bed!). Yes, if I have to carry things, they add weight, but the proper braces are sooooo much better than a Ace wrap that they're worth it. I am klutz, see me fall...then cuss, then send someone to get the ankle brace out of the car, then take it easy for a day or so while I elevate and ice. We did at least nope out of Carlsbad Caverns the last time I sprained my ankle the day before we were due to go down. If the elevators had been working, I would have done it anyway. Because I'm that kind of genius. I have an extremely high pain tolerance, and if I had to walk a ways after spraining an ankle, it wouldn't be the first time. Also: instant ice packs are your friends.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Ershin

Post by Ershin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:13 pm

That sounds rather like how Lucy used to be, fortunately it's no where near that bad at the moment. It's not a problem I expect to encounter -every- time, hah. hopefully rarely. But it's a lot more likely than, say, severe hemorrhaging, and I carry things for that, too :) Also, if she has a -really- bad sprain, I figure she'll be hobbling out on a SAM splint, assuming the terrain isn't flat enough for me to carry her.

There was a time she had to wear wrist supports near enough all the time (including when she slept - had nerve problems, otherwise), running wasn't an option regardless of the situation, e.t.c. so I completely understand where you're coming from.

I went to school with a kid called Sam - he played rugby, I think for the county? if not then the town, at least. He was always injured, and eventually retired out, I think at 16-ish? - he said the doctors told him he had 'stretched out virtually every ligament on the left side of his body'. One of the last times I saw him, he tried to pick up a couple of textbooks and his shoulder just jumped out of its socket. He wasn't even surprised.

Return to “First Aid”