It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My GHB First Aid Kit
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:32 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Just a quick post of my little first aid kit I will be keeping in a small, light GHB.

I started with a little Lifeline First Aid Kit in a weather resistant plastic case (4432 Model here) and made some changes.

Contents now are:

10 x Regular sized band aids
1 x Large size band aid
2 x 2'x3' Gauze Pads
1 x Insect bite/sting swab
2 x Alcohol prep pads
2 x Antiseptic towelette
1 x p-38 can opener*
10 ft. medical tape
6 x Advil gel caps
4 x allergy pills
4 x caffeine pills
$60 cash**
Pictured, but not "in the kit": some sunscreen and some hand sanitizer.

* - Not really a first aid item, but it is ok at cutting the medical tape and I prefer it here versus rattling loose in the rest of my GHB.
** - Again, not a real FAK item, but I like to keep the cash in the bag separated so its not all in one place. It fits here and is not in an obvious place.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions - comments - suggestions? I'd love some feedback.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: My GHB First Aid Kit
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:06 pm 

I'd at least throw in something to wrap a knee/ankle with. If you carry a weapon, add a basic GSW kit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:21 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Good calls on the cash and P-38. Those are smart additions.

I would add a sheet of moleskin. It's especially important in any kind of FAK that's part of a GHB or BOB. In a pinch, duct tape can be effective, especially if it's applied to a hot spot before it becomes a full blown blister.

A safety pin, Vaseline (or at least a tube of lip balm) and tweezers would also be helpful additions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:56 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

VXMerlinXV wrote:
I'd at least throw in something to wrap a knee/ankle with.

How much wrap would you consider sufficient? I don't disagree that it's a good inclusion, but the kit that this is a part of is fairly small, I'm just not sure there is room... (see here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=120231)

VXMerlinXV wrote:
If you carry a weapon, add a basic GSW kit.

I do have my CCW, but do not typically carry on a daily basis. That said, see above. THAT SAID ( :) ), your comment did get me thinking. I recall seeing on the site (some time ago) a competition for making survival kits that fit into mag pouch or water bottle sleeve or some such... Any way, you can see in the second picture where my collapsible backpack is attached to the "fanny pack" - there is another faux-molle attach point there. The bag might be tapped for space, but I could definitely start working on a GSW kit in the spirit of a mag/water sleeve sized all-in-one kit and attaching it there...

Might even make a thread for it... thanks for the idea! Any specific suggestions you might have along those lines?

ETA - Here is the mag pouch survival thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57454
It's pretty long, but there is some great stuff in there... any reason it's not stickied or in a hall of fame thread (or is it and I missed it?)

Last edited by 00dlez on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:14 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

majorhavoc wrote:
I would add a sheet of moleskin. It's especially important in any kind of FAK that's part of a GHB or BOB. In a pinch, duct tape can be effective, especially if it's applied to a hot spot before it becomes a full blown blister.

Excellent suggestion - consider it done!

majorhavoc wrote:
A safety pin, Vaseline (or at least a tube of lip balm) and tweezers would also be helpful additions.

Safety pin, sure - I can toss a few in no problem
Tweezers? There are some on my EDC multi-tool ... and I thought some better ones on the wave but now that I am looking at specs online I'm not sure there are...

Vaseline or lip balm... hmmm... I never use the stuff myself, and a tub (even the smallest ones) are fairly bulky. Is unscented, unflavored, boring lip balm any different than vaseline? If not, I might consider a tub of that and just scoop it out in globs for application to whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:51 pm 

00dlez wrote:
VXMerlinXV wrote:
I'd at least throw in something to wrap a knee/ankle with.

How much wrap would you consider sufficient? I don't disagree that it's a good inclusion, but the kit that this is a part of is fairly small, I'm just not sure there is room... (see here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=120231)

I personally like a 4-6" Ace wrap.

VXMerlinXV wrote:
If you carry a weapon, add a basic GSW kit.

I do have my CCW, but do not typically carry on a daily basis. That said, see above. THAT SAID ( :) ), your comment did get me thinking. I recall seeing on the site (some time ago) a competition for making survival kits that fit into mag pouch or water bottle sleeve or some such... Any way, you can see in the second picture where my collapsible backpack is attached to the "fanny pack" - there is another faux-molle attach point there. The bag might be tapped for space, but I could definitely start working on a GSW kit in the spirit of a mag/water sleeve sized all-in-one kit and attaching it there...

Might even make a thread for it... thanks for the idea! Any specific suggestions you might have along those lines?

ETA - Here is the mag pouch survival thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57454
It's pretty long, but there is some great stuff in there... any reason it's not stickied or in a hall of fame thread (or is it and I missed it?)

A mag pouch or canteen pouch works great for this. Assuming you're a lay person, I would go with the following, a CAT or SOF-T, the aforementioned ace wrap, an H+H compressed gauze, a 4" gauze roll. An ABD pad, 2-3 4x4's, a roll of 2-3" trainers tape, about 15 assorted bandaids in a ziplock. I'd add some ibuprofen, benadryl, and an Epi-pen if you need it.