ham radio demo/field day.

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

gary in ohio

ham radio demo/field day.

Post by gary in ohio » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:02 pm

For those with an interest in ham radio or just want to find out a little more information out ham radio, this is your weekend. This weekend June 23/24 is the annual field day where ham radio operators around the US setup portable stations and operate radios. This provides a drill for emergency communications, often with portable and makeshift antennas as well as a public relations opportunity. Field day is also a contest where stations try to work other field day stations. Everyone is invited to participate. Dont have an license no problem most locations will allow you to get on the air (with supervision). To find a site near you check out the field day finder at http://www.arrl.org/field-day-locator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gary

TacAir

Re: ham radio demo/field day.

Post by TacAir » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Listen for the only active Air Force club station on the air -- KL7AIR, 20M + HamSat comms.

Now that the bands are open again, should be able to WAS in one day!
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:05 pm

I'll add that that most clubs operate in a "grid down" scenario.

Our club will be using a generator powered station, solar powered station and truck mounted station.

When you hear the doom and gloomers say - All comms will be out all over, just stop by a Field Day site and see just how 'down' they really might be.

Stick around, the folks should invite you to operate the equipment - and you may learn something about HF. Or handheld SATCOM. Or V/UHF operations.....

gary in ohio

Post by gary in ohio » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:14 pm

it all starts tomorrow.....

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:45 pm

I might be running up to Graham, Tx tomorrow they are doing their on the Court House Square.

Redemption
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything with Bruce Campbell

Post by Redemption » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:55 am

I'm on 20 meter in WV, anyone?
I'm your Huckleberry.

gary in ohio

Post by gary in ohio » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:36 pm

Bands were so bad this year 20m anywhere was hard...

Most of o contacts were on 80/40..

Tonto

Post by Tonto » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Group of guys I was with on Kelley's Island OH (several members of ZS29 BTW) did pretty good on the 20m at night. Hit a Alaska contact, Santa Barbra Cali (At least I think it was on 20m) and within in what 3 hrs made about 200 contacts mostly on east coast, WI, Alabama and a few in Tx. We were running 2m, 20m, 40/80 I believe.

It was a riot seeing the people at the campground walking or riding by asking what the heck we're doing. Park Rangers and local cops were totally cool with it. It helps when one of the two full time local cops on the island is a Ham too, he stopped by to say Hi before going on patrol.
CERT member, former OHMR member (2001-2005), amateur IDPA shooter and reader of Blogs & Prep forums. Yes, I am a legend in my own mind and I'm emailing this from the secret shadow goverment bunker located beneath Walmart.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:02 am

I worked the GOTA station for the local club this year and we had folks making contacts on 20, 40 and 75 both days. 80 was probably the best band overall though. 10m was also semi-active but we never made any contacts on it. 160 wasn't very active at all that we could hear.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:58 pm

Did some contact work for Field Day - or tried to anyway. 20M was wall to wall high power stations - could not chisel my way thru with *just* 100 watts on portable station.

Bothers me when I see all the **OMG no comms after the Fall**.(insert screaming/arm flapping here)
What is shown here are two portable rigs, I have a couple of more at the house as back up and a full AN/GRC-109 with the GN-58, so comms after the disaster? Ya, Hams CAN do that.

Some others are a bit more into disaster comms - Here is a link article covering a buddy's setup. Check it out, quite the Zombie Apocalypse setup - he uses it in the remote NV desert (way North of Ash Springs - look it up) to support high speed auto races of all things..

For fun -
Full station set up - mobile -- solar panels, deep-cycle Marine battery, FT 747 w/tuner, NVIS antenna. Panels produce 2 Amps each and I have a total of 4 panels for this setup.
Rig and tuner/filter set in Pelican cases and are fully waterproof. It rain a lot here. FT 747 modified for full 2- 30 MHZ TX and RX (legally) Tuner is MFJ manual type and audio filter provides very narrow CW filter - and it doesn't ring!

Full walk-in station setup - portable -- FT817, tuner, battery, NUE PSK modem and vertical antenna carry bag. DC to daylight, SSB/CW/PSK31/RTTY Not shown is the rollup solar panel (5.5 W) that helps with keeping the battery alive. The Radio has the SSB/CW (Collins mechanical) filter installed in the IF, very nice. You saw this i action on last summers Mock Bug Out to the glacier - this summer will be fishing instead of carrying radio gear.

My homebrew NVIS mast is 6 sections of replacement fiberglass tent pole sections = 24 feet. Used here in the field for first time - bit of a learning curve. Does require a bit more in the way of guying, but very lightweight - now I have the choice of a vertical antenna or a NVIS or dipole with only a *little bit* more weight. For normal mobile use, I have a collapsible mast that mounts to the auto. Up and running in under 10 min.

Easy carry - goes in truck Stations sits on large Pelican. SSB/CW @ 100 watts.
Setup time is antenna erection + 10 min. for radio

The Club station (KL7AIR) used a 40 foot mast made from a line's fuse puller tool. It supported a off-center fed Windom dipole feeding a FT-450D. Nice setup. Takes antenna erection + 15 min to be on the air.

All in all, a lot of fun was had by everyone, ops and visitors.

Redemption
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything with Bruce Campbell

Post by Redemption » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:37 pm

My 6 and 7 year olds had a blast.
The night before, my youngest said he wanted to contact Canada, I laughed at him and said we'd try. He came to field day via momma and his first contact was Canada on 80m.
It blew both our minds, what are the odds haha.
Now both kids are studying for their tech.
I wish I had talked with someone from ZS but there's always next year.
I'm your Huckleberry.

Jag-Stang

Post by Jag-Stang » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:17 pm

Here is a short video I made of our field day.
-.- . --... --.. -- -.-. -....- ----.

Return to “Communications”