Winlink

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mattltm

Winlink

Post by mattltm » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:59 am

Is anyone using Winlink - http://www.winlink.org/?

I set up an account last week and its a great system. Email from anywhere over HF.

I'm very impressed with it so far.
"Spooky action at a distance."

mikester

Re: Winlink

Post by mikester » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:37 pm

I have used it for some time now. Very slick. Not fast by internet standards, or even old 1200 baud dialup standards, but it is neat to be able to use it anywhere and not be dependent on any kind of local infrastructure.

nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by nateted4 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:22 am

I use the Winmor software, as I don't have a Pactor Modem. It seems to work fine. I don't often do testing, as it takes awhile to send a message and I don't want to hog the airwaves.
Raptor wrote:Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.
Kommander wrote:So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

Redemption
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything with Bruce Campbell

Post by Redemption » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:21 am

Is this the same principal as the old air mail?
I'm your Huckleberry.

nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by nateted4 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:30 am

Redemption wrote:Is this the same principal as the old air mail?
Yes, I do believe. Airmail is the user interface.
Raptor wrote:Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.
Kommander wrote:So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

bae

Post by bae » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:14 am

Bump.

Our local ham ARES group uses Winlink to provide email connectivity between the various isolated communities in my county in the event of communications outages. They have stations set up at each major fire station, at the Sheriff's station, and at the county emergency management center.

We've all been encouraged over the past year to get Winlink set up at our home shacks, in order to be using it more often and to gain some more proficiency with it during times outside our normal drill/practice sessions.

So, today I took the plunge and Macgyvered up a quick prototype, using the wee radio I keep sitting next to my computer and a Kantronics TNC I had kicking around. You can see I didn't do what you might call a permanent installation, this was just a proof-of-concept before I bother setting it up in my main station area...

Anyways, starting from very little actual knowledge to getting it up and running was a bit of a steep learning curve, so best to get this all figured out before you need it.

Turns out it works reasonably well, and to my delight I discovered that I can hit a handful of Canadian gateways on 2M 40-80 miles away from me. Which will be real handy next time power and comms go down here, as the Canadian power and Telco systems are pretty isolated/independent from ours here in my community.

Well worth playing with. Don't plan on sending any significant-sized attachments, be warned :-)

bae

Post by bae » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Bump again - sing out if you are set up to use winlink!

Could be handy to have a ZS winlink mailing list some day.

mattltm

Post by mattltm » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:52 am

Yup. I use WINLINK.
"Spooky action at a distance."

Shok
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Lethal Weapon 3

Post by Shok » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:26 pm

I use the RMS Express which uses it's own SW TNC. Is that the same thing?
NRA Life Member
ARRL Member

Return to “Communications”