Zombie Squad Amateur/CB Radio Network: pt 4 - networking

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Night Owl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and Dawn of the Dead.....

Re: Zombie Squad Amateur/CB Radio Network: pt 4 - networking

Post by Night Owl » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Your antenna might not be getting a good ground. Have you checked the swr on you radio? The antenna might need to be tuned some.

This place has all kinds of good info for CB use and tips

http://www.cbradiotalk.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NYKh

Post by NYKh » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:58 pm

Deer wrote:Section: South Carolina (Beaufort/Paris Island)
Lat./Long: 32.6 -80.7
Interest: I do not have a ham license, but I'm studying for a test that will be given in july (with help from my fiance, isn't she great? Colored flash cards and all! :cry: ) I just bought a CB Radio (at wally world until i can afford a good one) to get my feet in the water and help me maintain interest :lol: I'm very interested in getting serious in ham though once i get a license. If anyone's in the beaufort area that's a ham or can answer some questions about my CB or wanna talk hit me up!
Equipment: CB radio installed in truck last night, It's that cheap "cobra" you can get at wall mart for like 37 bucks. Antenna from radio shack (magnet on top of truck.) I get some noise when the truck is running driving around town, i can hear talk as long as its got a good signal, but hear much better with truck turned off. Normal?

Hoping the ZS Radio Network does well and lives long!
Go to your local auto store, get a isolator. They are generally in the radio/electronic parts section. it will go inline with the power and isolate or filter the electrical system from the cb.
Also make sure you have a very good ground. Run a wire to the battery or frame if needed.
KB3UKH

Rayborn

Post by Rayborn » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:35 am

Section- Van Buren/Fort Smith AR
Lat./Long-35.415014322903765 -94.25801753997803
Interest- KD5ORP- Tech- I need to renew and get back into it but my last class was on HF Communications
Equipment- None at this time just GI stuff.
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life." --Unknown

Knesek Guns
THOR Global Defense Group

NorthernPike
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them

Post by NorthernPike » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:05 am

lat 53.124

long -109.613

long range communications

no equip as of yet, just had my interest sparked a couple days ago while lurking through the posts. Am a working student right now but will get licensed and have equip with enough range so u guys can tell me whos gotten eaten and whos still kicking down there.

jrock24
Favorite Zombie Movies: Everything from Night of the living dead to Zombieland.

Post by jrock24 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:43 pm

Part 1 - Jason
Part 2 - none
Part 3 - Cobra 40 CB (mobile)
Part 4 - none

OrlandoFlyBoy

Post by OrlandoFlyBoy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:31 am

Bill_in_VA wrote:There are some preparedness type nets already running that I know of, thought some members might want to know about.
There's the Eastern Regional Patriots Net (ERPN) on ~3.860 at 8pm EST.
And the ARFCOM net on 7.213 at 9pm EST. This is actually a conglomeration of people that migrated through several forums (frugal squirrel, war-rifles, ect.)
I'll be on at 9 most nights.
I just found one that was mentioned in UrbanSurvival.com (thanks George)

The American Preparedness Radio Network
http://taprn.com/
3.818 LSB
Thursday and Sunday nights at 9 PM eastern

The website has a CHAT feature, so even if you only listen on Shortwave you can participate in the chat.

They also post what was talked about - go look at what they last few discussions were.

In Ham, many of the people are older (Ham is not as popular as it once was, but seems to be making a comeback because of prepping). Anyway, a week ago or so during a discussion of some of the things that look like may happen (dollar collapsing, solar flare or nuke EMP taking out all the grids, other economic collapse, etc) one of these guys said something like "If you would have told me 10 years ago that I would be thinking about and preparing for this kind of stuff I would have thought you were crazy".

Many people (WAYYYYYYYYYY more than I would've thought) are now thinking of this stuff.

I heard people from Iowa, Arkansas, Carolinas, W.V. , Maine, Maryland, Ohio, Vermont, Torronto, Tenn. and N.J.... Last Thursday I could barely hear George in Tx.

EDIT ---------
I was just reading the write-up about last Sunday's net, and found this:
"We now have a link to a site that streams audio of the APRN net live over the internet on our sidebar right below the net schedule. You can use a shortwave radio and tune to 3.818 Lower Side Band mode and listen but you will probably need a good antenna for that. You can also go to http://www.globaltuners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .com and use a radio there to listen over your internet connection. Another way that you can participate is by using the chat room on our site. Rather you are a ham or not there is normally someone that is active on the net working the chat room during every net. Don’t be shy come join the fun and feel free to make suggestions both during the net and for future nets.
Common sense doesn't seem to be so common any more.

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Doctor Jest » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. With the recent emphasis on disaster prep, I would not be surprised to see a resurgence of ham radio. The trouble is, so many people are simply unaware of its existence - it's below a lot of peoples' radar.
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

ethanboris

Post by ethanboris » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:49 am

Just thought i'd update my info

Callsign: VK3FCAC

Location: 145.06'33'' E 37.36'276'', Melbourne Australia, Currently VK Portable

Interests: General Comms

Current Situation: Restricted use (AM,CW,SSB and FM) on 80m,40m,15m,10m,2m,70cm Max 10W power (yeah right :wink: :wink: ) I Can use IRLP, but no "Computer controlled modes". I'm currently on a working holiday around Australia so
I'm VK portable ATM

Equipment:
Amateur Equipment:
Big Rig: Yaesu FT-897D paired with a Z11-Pro running a wire dipole (Portable setup)
Mobile Rig: Yaesu FT-8800 in the 4wd, Dtmf etc
Handheld: Yaesu Vx-6

CB's:
Old School: Uniden 27mhz CB
Current Craze: Icom IC400Pro 477mhz CB (i can "enhance" this rig)

Here's hoping i can DX some of you lot across the pond
shrapnel wrote:I'm still angry that the 'exploding anthrax cannibal hippos' thread wasn't in DICE. If that shit wasn't a disaster, I don't know what is.
Meat N' Taters wrote:The first boomerangs were made out of Gooch's toenail clippings.

Fascist
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by Fascist » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:14 am

I recently did a bit of research on the citizen band style UHF services available around the world, Some of this info may be useful to ZS members on the move or find themselves in unfamiliar territory, so I'm posting it here:

The FRS wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) has a good section about similar services in other regions, however looking up the FRS/GMRS, UHF CB, and PMR446 shows that none of these three services share any frequencies. There are other services also. China has a similar service in the 406MHz range.

FRS: (USA/Canada) 462MHz/467MHz, 14 channels (channels 1-7 shared with GMRS), 0.5W max power
GMRS: (USA) 462MHz/467MHz, 8 channels, licence required, 50W max power, 5W max on shared FRS channels for GMRS licence holders
GMRS: (Canada) frequencies as USA, no licence required, 2W max power
UHF CB: (Australia/NZ/Vanuatu/Samoa) 476-477MHz, Older units 40 channels, new units 80 channels (Backwards compatible with the older 40 channels although older radios may interfere with the 80 channel models due to wider channel bandwidth), 5W max power
PMR446: (Europe/French Polynesia(Tahiti), New Caledonia (I think, it's not very clear)) 446MHz, 8 analog channels, 16 digital channels, 0.5W max power
Ship on-board communications: (International) 457.525MHz, 457.550MHz, 457.575MHz, 467.525MHz, 467.550MHz*, 467.575MHz* (power and frequencies vary by licensing country. Australian channels listed, as these reflect the International ITU-R channels. Australian class licence allows 4W max)
*shared with USA GMRS channel 1 and 2 repeater input frequencies

Shared FRS/GMRS devices also approved in Brazil and other South American countries, according to the article above, but no mention about power restrictions.

edited 23 APR 2013 to reflect 80 channel UHF CB changes in Australia
edited 10 JUL 2015 to include international marine on-board communication stations.
Last edited by Fascist on Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Baughman

Post by Baughman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:50 pm

Interest: CB, HAM

Equipment:
CB's
IN VAN
-Uniden 510xl in my van (20 watts)
-Cobra Highgear base loaded mag mount on van (wilson 1000 want-to-be)((the 102 inch whips hit way to many trees when mounted to the roof of my van. Great recieve that way though))

In closet:
- Cobra 29 project (putting in a super mod kit, maybe a mosphet final later)
-2 102 inch stainless steel whips
-silver eagle 200 (needs repair)
-freq counter (used to have a norstar 450bfm 10 meter strapped to 11 meter)
-radioshack swr/power meter

Side note: In our area we have a network on 27 consisting of a combo of base and mobile units (I'm really the only full time mobile) that we all maintain and talk almost nightly. Could come in hand-y. If I can't hear you "papa bear" sure can.

Baughman

Post by Baughman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:01 pm

NYKh wrote:
Deer wrote:Section: South Carolina (Beaufort/Paris Island)
Lat./Long: 32.6 -80.7
Interest: I do not have a ham license, but I'm studying for a test that will be given in july (with help from my fiance, isn't she great? Colored flash cards and all! :cry: ) I just bought a CB Radio (at wally world until i can afford a good one) to get my feet in the water and help me maintain interest :lol: I'm very interested in getting serious in ham though once i get a license. If anyone's in the beaufort area that's a ham or can answer some questions about my CB or wanna talk hit me up!
Equipment: CB radio installed in truck last night, It's that cheap "cobra" you can get at wall mart for like 37 bucks. Antenna from radio shack (magnet on top of truck.) I get some noise when the truck is running driving around town, i can hear talk as long as its got a good signal, but hear much better with truck turned off. Normal?

Hoping the ZS Radio Network does well and lives long!
Go to your local auto store, get a isolator. They are generally in the radio/electronic parts section. it will go inline with the power and isolate or filter the electrical system from the cb.
Also make sure you have a very good ground. Run a wire to the battery or frame if needed.
No, if its a cobra 19 find the receit and bring it bacfk. they are CRAP. (had one. will never be right)Go on craigslist or somewhere and get an old cobra 29. Believe it or not the old models were better. The 29 has better filters as well as an ANL (automatic noise limiter) The antanna is ok, I would spend the $60 and get a wilson 1000 mag mount. ANTENNA IS
THE MOST INPORTANT PART OF A RADIO SETUP.
Last edited by Baughman on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:24 pm

Baughman wrote:
No, if its a cobra 19 find the receit and bring it bacfk. they are CRAP. (had one. will never be right)Go on craigslist or somewhere and get an old cobra 29. Believe it or not the old models were better. The 29 has lots of room for expansion. Without moding it you can see 15+ watts. All you do is turn a screw. With a bit of soldering you can get 30 watts(ish). great radio for amps too.. The antanna is ok, I would spend the $60 and get a wilson 1000 mag mount. ANTENNA IS

COBRA 29 MOD http://cbradiomagazine.com/March%202007 ... cation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guys, this conversation violates rule #1, no discussion of illegal activities. Modding CB's to operate out of band or at a power in excess of 4 watts (am) is illegal. There are plenty of other places on the net to discuss this. If you want to run high power get a ham license.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

Baughman

Post by Baughman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:23 pm

KYZHunters wrote:
Baughman wrote:
No, if its a cobra 19 find the receit and bring it bacfk. they are CRAP. (had one. will never be right)Go on craigslist or somewhere and get an old cobra 29. Believe it or not the old models were better. The 29 has lots of room for expansion. Without moding it you can see 15+ watts. All you do is turn a screw. With a bit of soldering you can get 30 watts(ish). great radio for amps too.. The antanna is ok, I would spend the $60 and get a wilson 1000 mag mount. ANTENNA IS

COBRA 29 MOD http://cbradiomagazine.com/March%202007 ... cation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guys, this conversation violates rule #1, no discussion of illegal activities. Modding CB's to operate out of band or at a power in excess of 4 watts (am) is illegal. There are plenty of other places on the net to discuss this. If you want to run high power get a ham license.
My Bad. I forget that sometimes. Stick to 4 watts on the cb.

Bowman1

Post by Bowman1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Your Section: Atlantic Division, Baltimore City, Maryland

Your latitude and longitude: 39.3312, -76.6354

Your particular interest: No real interest in particular, although I would characterize myself as more of an HF guy.

Callsign: KB3GJL (I'll change it to something a little easier to say when I get my Advanced.)

Your equipment situation: A bunch of stuff! Main rig is an Icom 746 with the obligatory Ameritron amp, Palstar tuner, and a G5RV Jr. on the roof. I've got an old Icom 251A for dedicated 2m listening, although the 746 covers 2M as well. Just picked up a Kenwood tri-bander HT this last week as well. Next addition to the radio family will be a Yaesu FT-817. That should be a lot of fun to take out in the back pack.
Pour me another drink and pass the ammunition.

lexmedic157

Post by lexmedic157 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:22 pm

Your Section: Atlantic Division, Lexington, VA

Your latitude and longitude: 37°46′59″N 79°26′43″W

Your particular interest: Emergency Comms, Fire/EMS, CERT

Callsign: K4WHE

Your equipment situation: Yaesu FT-8800; Wouxun HT; (need to get an HF rig)

GrumpyOldMan

Post by GrumpyOldMan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:02 pm

Just stumbled across this thread (I only joined ZS a few days ago). So is this idea up and running, or has it died on the vine, or is it still in the "maybe someday" stage?

American_Infidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later of course

Post by American_Infidel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:48 pm

GrumpyOldMan wrote:Just stumbled across this thread (I only joined ZS a few days ago). So is this idea up and running, or has it died on the vine, or is it still in the "maybe someday" stage?
A few of us have contacted each other. Myself, KYZHunters, Doctor Jest and some others (sorry, memory is getting fuzzy) have used SSB and PSK-31 to make contacts.
There's not a schedule set in stone or anything on a regular basis...more like someone will post that they are monitoring so and so freq, or calling CQ here.
Welcome to Erf

georgehumphreys
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (maybe not zombies but close enough!)

Post by georgehumphreys » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:01 pm

Your latitude and longitude:

45.9 / 122.9

Your particular interest:

CB present , ham and security comms in the future

Your equipment situation:

TX/RX
Magnum 10 meter
Royce 642
Uniden Grant
Cobra 29 LTD
Uniden 510

Handhelds
Midland 75-820 ,X2
Motorola TalkAbout distance DPS ,X2
Motorola TalkAbout 200

RX
Uniden BCT8
Magnovox D2999

JPS NTR1 Audio Filter
Astron RS-12A
D104
A-99
SWR meter
About a dozen mobile antenna's
3- 40ft masts
And 2 'foot warmers'

I got into cb in the late 80's, and never quit. I guess it's kind of like crotch rot, no matter how hard you try you just can get rid of it. I live in a area that uses cb for back-country comms and safety. I frequent the forest on a regular basis so it seemed to be the best fit. I would like to get a license for ham. I can't currently afford to expand my radio collection, however I would be interested in any info anyone has on security radio comms, ones which communicate with mag sensors, motion detectors ect.

FYI I abide by all FCC regulations.
Sometimes when you cry, no one see's your tears
Sometimes when when you are worried, no one see's your pain
Sometimes when you are happy, no one see's you smile
But, fart just one time.......

Tolerance and diversity, make me want to vomit!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:17 pm

georgehumphreys wrote:
TX/RX
Magnum 10 meter

And 2 'foot warmers'

Really? You have no ham license and a 10 meter rig and two linear amps.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

georgehumphreys
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (maybe not zombies but close enough!)

Post by georgehumphreys » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:22 am

KYZHunters wrote:
georgehumphreys wrote:
TX/RX
Magnum 10 meter

And 2 'foot warmers'

Really? You have no ham license and a 10 meter rig and two linear amps.

They are currently paper weights. I do use the 10 meter on 11 meter on occasion, but it has been 'dailed back' and only puts out about 5 watts. I only talk to a couple neighbors about 5-10 mi away and I like to keep emissions low, and legal. Running power seems to be pointless in most cases, just a way to make up for other shortcomings in the system, But I might add, it is nice to know it's there.
Sometimes when you cry, no one see's your tears
Sometimes when when you are worried, no one see's your pain
Sometimes when you are happy, no one see's you smile
But, fart just one time.......

Tolerance and diversity, make me want to vomit!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

MrCoffee
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am Legend

Post by MrCoffee » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:16 am

The section you are in: Section 22/New England
Your latitude and longitude: 43.145774,-72.448527
Your particular interest Long range and Emergency comms, CB, FRS/GMRS, Packet
Your equipment situation Yaesu 2800m 2m mobile, Icom 901A 2m/440 Mobile, Kenwood TM-261A 2m Mobile, Radio Shack Navaho 40ch Basestation CB, GE 40ch Mobile CB, (4) Radio 40ch CB Handhelds, (4) Cobra FRS Handhelds, Yaesu FT-60R 2m/440 HT, (2) Radio Shack HTX-200 2m HTs, West Mountaion Radio Nomic, 2m/440 J-pole, and several mobile antenna's.

Tech License now, KB1PMW

Looking to add HF soon, going for my General Ticket in Jan. wife is going for her Tech at the same time. Planning on a Yaesu FT-897D or Yaesu FT-857D in the future, maybe a Icom IC-7000, but this year will most likely only add a Yaesu 8900R. Hoping at some point i can find/add the 10m, 220, and 1200 band units to my 901A.

Mostly got into HAM radio for ecomm purposes, I am a active member of ARES and CERT in my area. Looking to add packet and echolink set ups.
"Some people are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face."

I am NOT crazy! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years!

Noven

Post by Noven » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:16 am

The section you are in: Phoenix, AZ
Your latitude and longitude: Around 33°38'7.79"N 112° 4'30.39"W
Your particular interest HAM Radio, Digital & Analog modes, packet
Your equipment situation: Yaesu FT-100d. I have a 6m dipole and a 2m 5/8 wave antenna currently, and I am getting ready to make a 10m dipole.
Call Sign: KF7DEC

GrumpyOldMan

Post by GrumpyOldMan » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:49 pm

Section: Oregon
Lat/Long: 45.5N, 122.9W (CN85)
Interest: HF SSB, emcomm.
Equipment: Ham: Fixed HF 10/15/20/40M, plus 75 if I ever get my inverted-L put back up. Getting set up for digital modes. Mobile VHF/UHF FM. I may move the mobile VHF/UHF rig into the house and put an all-band radio in the truck. General license. CB: A couple of mobile AM/SSB rigs.
Last edited by GrumpyOldMan on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tank148
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead,zombie land,resident evil

Post by tank148 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:30 am

i thought ahead i have a powerful portable CB/ham setup in a metal brief case. it runs on all CB channels plus across most of the ham frequency's too
DON'T PANIC!

Return to “Communications”