It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:32 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

In this post I would like to explain ideas that have been tossed around about a ZS radio network. This proposal is based on ideas discussed on this board and discussions between Kyle and myself. This is certainly open to discussion, and will undergo changes in the process.

Effective long-range communications are a fantastic asset to have. We are all able to communicate very effectively through the message board, but what if a zombocalypse occurred? Would the internet still be usable? Would we be able to maintain our connection to it?

We need a backup communications system. Thus the ZS radio network.

We propose using a blend of ham radio and CB radio to accomplish this purpose. We would like to be able to communicate with one another via radio both regionally and nationally – even in a disaster.

The American Radio Relay League (ARRL) is the biggest organization for ham radio in the USA. They have divided the USA into “sections.” Sections are often states; for example, Tennessee is its own section, as is Minnesota. But more populated or larger regions are subdivided. Pennsylvania has two sections; Florida and Texas, three each.
Here is a link listing the ARRL sections:
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/org/secinfo.html

I propose that ZS try to have (at least) one ham radio operator in each section to coordinate communications for that section. For example, I could serve as the ZS ham operator for Western Pennsylvania. One of the St. Louis hams could be the ZS op for the Missouri section. If Bear gets his license, perhaps he could be the ZS op for the Northern Florida section. All of the ZS ham ops could keep in touch with another using HF radios. (This requires getting a General class license, eventually.) We could relay information from one section to another. That would allow us to communicate nationally, or even internationally.

Then on a regional level, we could use CB radio. CB has two fantastic advantages. First, the equipment is so commonly available and a station is easily assembled. Second, no license is required. It is rather short-range under most conditions, however. (The ZS ham ops might also be able to build more sophisticated antennas that would allow somewhat longer range using CB.) But as Bear pointed out in one of the Katrina threads, relaying signals is a way around its range limits. All of the ZS members in a section could keep in touch with one another (and the ZS ham op) by relaying messages over CB radio. Each section could gradually build up a CB network so they can keep in touch within a section, and relay information to the ham op, who could pass it on to other sections.

This is a long-term project, there is no doubt of that. There are only a couple of hams in ZS now. But if we start now, in time it will develop.

I would suggest that we begin by gathering information. If you are interested in participating in the ZS Radio Network, leave a post or a PM. I will start gathering a list. Please include the following information:
The section you are in.
Your latitude and longitude. I want to map station locations. You don’t have to be precise; I don’t want to know exactly where you live, and it’s a bad idea to publish that info on the internet. Just give me your latitude and longitude to the nearest tenth of a degree; for example, I am at 40.2 degrees North, 79.8 degrees West. That tells you generally where I am; but only narrows it down to a square 6.9 miles on a side, or 48 square miles. If you don’t know your latitude and longitude, just use Google to find one of the many sites that can provide that information.
Your particular interest; in other words, do you have a ham license (and if you do, your license class and call sign); do you want to pursue a ham license; do you want to just stick to CB. Whatever you are interested is fine. We are encouraging people to get ham licenses, but everyone here has a life beyond ZS (except Kyle), and you may not have the time to devote to it. That’s fine, we need CB people too.
Your equipment situation. Do you already have a CB? How many watts does it put out? Is it in a car or a base station? If a ham, what type (HF, VHF) of equipment do you have?

Once this info is gathered, then we can continue to plan. Hams frequently run radio “nets” – meetings on the air. Perhaps once a month, we could have a date and time when we all see who we can reach in our section with our current radio setups. Once we get ham ops in different sections, they can try to reach one another, too.

Comments? Suggestions?

Part 1 - Intro
Part 2 - Licensing
Part 3 - Equipment
Part 4 - Networking

Towanda wrote:
When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:56 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Your latitude and longitude: +38.6,-090.2

Your particular interest: Long Range station

Your equipment situation: HF and multi-band handheld

I'm working on getting a CB for the truck.

I few useful links:
http://www.juggling.org/bin/un.cgi/map-find
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert?form=address

Latitude / Longitude Coordinate Converter:
http://www.cosports.com/tools/gps_coords.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:58 pm 

Section: South west Florida (Naples area)
Lat. and Long.: 26. 1 N, 81.4 W
Particular Interest: Researching local courses to get my HAM license. Just a matter of making enough time for it.
Equipment Sit. : None, at current. In the process of purchasing essential gear; after that's done, it'll be on to HAM related stuff.

Really great job with the stickies so far, Doc Jest. Keep it up.

I mean it would be kind cool in an abstract way, but suck in real life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:47 pm 

Interest: HF communication, Packet
Equipment: Icom IC-706MKII Tranceiver (160 through 2 meters), RS HTX-202 2 meter Handheld, RS mobile 2 meter rig, Uniden PC122XL AM/SSB CB radio. Assorted Motorola GMRS/FRS Radios. BayPac TNC. Kantronics KPC-3 TNC

General Class Amateur

Cromwell

Last edited by Cromwell on Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:13 pm 

Section: Indiana
Latitude: 39.8289200
Longitude: -84.8845940
Interests: CB and HAM. I want to get a license at some point, of course.
Equipment: None, but there is a CB radio shop literally several blocks from my house. I plan on checking it out, just to compare prices to other places. I also need to get a lot of necessary equipment for bugging out, so the radio thing will need to wait.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:25 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Thanks guys, keep it up. I'm assembling a database, and I dowloaded USGS maps of each state. I'll map each person's approximate position.

Towanda wrote:
When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:24 pm 

SectionColorado
Lat/Long39.4n/104.6w (both of these are very approximate, based on my city. How are you guys getting your info?)
InterestsHAM and CB, but don't have either yet.
EquipmentNone yet. Come next paycheck, hopefully more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:35 pm 

Your Section: Atlantic Division, Eastern Pennsylvania (Bucks County)

Your latitude and longitude: (+40.337593,-075.137381) (40 20 15 N, 61 848 14 W)

Your particular interest: Mobile CB User, Information Relay

Your equipment situation: Vehicle mounted CB. ( I will check on the brand and wattage tomorrow.)

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:24 pm 

Section: Northwestern Division (Oregon)

Latitude and Longitude: N45.36 W123.106

Interests, etc: Had ham liscense years ago, let it expire, am re-taking
the test next month. Will tell you my callsign when I pass. :)
Tech/General. Looking to get more involved with Ham & CB.
Who wants to mentor me?

Equipment: zilch. When I pass the test, I'll get something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:11 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Well, I can give you advice, hopefully good advice, but Oregon is quite a ways from Pennsylvania.

Towanda wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:49 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

lat and long +38.57 -090.27

interest cb and someday ham

equipment cb in truck, cb in ZS van also otw

Only 2 People Can Say They Went To Every Z-Con And Wintergheddon Ever, I'm One Of Them!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:40 pm 

interest: Emcomm. my call is N0UFB and I hold a tech license. I am a former ARES EC and held the position as an Official Emergency Station.

equipment: I have hf and vhf/uhf base and mobile rigs along with several ht's. I also have portable masts and antennas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:42 am 

Interest: emcomm, long range, packet,
Equipment: Yaesu FT50 tri-band 5W w/ mobile antenna, 12v op capable, handsfree. CB, 40 ch, generic. Currently building HF rig. Echolink on laptops. Can run ham progs on Win or Linux; running both on laptops. About to get ham system for my ipaq 6515, I just saw one come out for packet.

Currently a no code tech with csce for general; studying for code test. The info from Doc on the code test helped a lot; I had no idea what to expect until I read that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:59 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Keep working on that code - you'll get it. Let me know when you get on HF - we could actually get the ZS net going!!!

BTW, what kind of a HF rig are you building?

Towanda wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:13 am 

Lat & Long UTM 17 589029E 2947409N (WGS84/NAD83)
Intrests CB and FRS/GMRS communications
Equipment Vehicle CB and 2 FRS/GMRS radios which worked great at ZCON.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:02 pm 

Doctor Jest wrote:
Keep working on that code - you'll get it. Let me know when you get on HF - we could actually get the ZS net going!!!

Well, if it actually works when I am done, I'll have a 100W 10-160M HF transceiver. I am hoping to build in packet as well (a tnc internal w/ inputs for my laptop). And, finally, I want to package it as a portable station; I might even make it watertight. It's a lot of work, but almost all of the research has been done for me and is in the March QST (and references past articles and other ARRL books I have). We shall see.
In the mean time, do you have a band you were thinking of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:47 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Well, I was kinda thinking of 20 meters, though I am certainly open to suggestions. 20 meters is crowded, but usually has decent propagation. Depends on the time of day we want to chat, too...I'm basically good for 40 m through 10 m. I have an Icom multiband HF rig and a windom half-square wire antenna.

Towanda wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:47 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

thekessel wrote:
Doctor Jest wrote:

Well, if it actually works when I am done, I'll have a 100W 10-160M HF transceiver. I am hoping to build in packet as well (a tnc internal w/ inputs for my laptop). And, finally, I want to package it as a portable station; I might even make it watertight. It's a lot of work, but almost all of the research has been done for me and is in the March QST (and references past articles and other ARRL books I have). We shall see.
In the mean time, do you have a band you were thinking of?

Hey, I should have mine set up before the end of the summer. I'll join in and we can get this going. I'll have to wait until I get back from Japan though. Dr. Jest knows what I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:12 pm 

BTW, I am KE5GDZ for now; soon to change once the code test is out of the way. I'll be using a GOTA station for field day (well Sunday anyway, we may go camp out in the woods Fri and Sat -- perfect reason to practice PAW skills) so I'll be able to operate on 20 and 40 meters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:44 pm 

Quote:
The section you are in. Rocky Mountain
Your latitude and longitude350231N 1063625W
Your particular interest I'd like to get a ham license, but would probably have to put that off until I buy my own house, I'd hate to set up all of that equipment just to tear it down and move it a year or two later.
Your equipment situation I have an old, probably worthless handheld CB radio somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:39 am 

Not sure if this is technically relevant; seeing that im not in the US but here goes none-the-less;

Section: Leeds, UK
Latitude: 53:48:39N (53.8109)
Longitude: 1:40:31W (-1.6754)
Interests: CB and HAM. I want to get licensed at some point, get networking.
Equipment: Short range CB radio (Feq Range 446.00625MHz ~ 446.09375MHz =8 ch.) with CTCSS Freq; 67.0 (Hz) ~ 250.3 (Hz) = 38ch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:06 pm 

OK, don't know if it's any good but..........

Section: Norfolk, UK
Latitude: 52:50:49N (52.8471)
Longitude: 1:28:37E (1.4768)
Interests: CB and HAM. I'm aiming to get my HAM license next year
Equipment: None yet, but hoping to get a CB soon with a HAM radio next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:52 pm 

Section: Collinsville IL
Your latitude and longitude: +38.6,-089.9
Your particular interest: CBs with a little HAM on the side.
Your equipment situation: CB with Weather stations in the Jeep. Looking to setup a basestation at home.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:45 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Your latitude and longitude: +38.6,-090.2

Your particular interest: Long Range station

Your equipment situation: NADA. Looking to get both handheld and vehicle mounted HAM and CB systems.

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next