Zombie Squad Amateur Radio Network: part 3 - Equipment

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Noven

Re: Zombie Squad Amateur Radio Network: part 3 - Equipment

Post by Noven » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:39 pm

I am looking at power supplies, and I was wondering how big and powerful of a supply do I really need? I have a Yaesu FT-100D on my way, and I really do not understand which supply I should get.

On a side note, I am also putting together a power supply from an old ATX computer power supply, and once I hit up Ace Hardware, that will be done.

American_Infidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later of course

Post by American_Infidel » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:46 pm

RigPix database states that the current draw on TX is 22 amps.

http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft100d.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I'd be looking for something in the 25 amp and higher range. MFJ 4125, Astron RS-35a and SS-30 are all rated at 25 amps. The 4125 and the SS-30 are switching power supplies which are smaller and lighter than the RS-35a which has a big transformer and weighs over 20 lbs. I have both the MFJ 4125 and the Astron RS-35a. I bought the MFJ new and it worked about three months before it went out. MFJ replaced it under warranty and the new unit is still running along. I bought the Astron off of eBay for a very good price, but I literally searched everyday for a few months till I finally won one for the price I was willing to pay.
I use the Astron for my fixed station and the MFJ is going into a battery back-up project I am scrounging parts for.
Welcome to Erf

Noven

Post by Noven » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:08 pm

Looking at my ATX power supply, I THINK it says that it outputs 18 amps at 12 volts. Will that suffice until I can get a more robust power supply?

American_Infidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later of course

Post by American_Infidel » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:04 am

You'll have to turn down the radio power to say 40-50 watts but I don't know for sure. If it is like most radios, the power out/amps drawn is not linear meaning that if it pulls 22A on 100W TX, it will not pull 11A on 50W TX.
Welcome to Erf

Dah Di Dah

Post by Dah Di Dah » Wed May 15, 2013 11:43 am

American_Infidel wrote:You'll have to turn down the radio power to say 40-50 watts but I don't know for sure. If it is like most radios, the power out/amps drawn is not linear meaning that if it pulls 22A on 100W TX, it will not pull 11A on 50W TX.
A 100 watt transceiver only draws about 9 - 12 amps - depending upon if the fan is running or not and the model.

A 35 amp power supply is mininum requirement - since a 20 amp power supply will only supply about 12 amps of continous power - not enough for 100% duty cycle - needed for CW or digital modes.

Astron power supplies are Amateur Grade Equipment, communications grade equipment has a 100% duty cycle and also a larger termperature range which you can operate it under.

The Astron power supply is only duty rated to 32* F

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:46 am

Dah Di Dah wrote:
American_Infidel wrote:You'll have to turn down the radio power to say 40-50 watts but I don't know for sure. If it is like most radios, the power out/amps drawn is not linear meaning that if it pulls 22A on 100W TX, it will not pull 11A on 50W TX.
A 100 watt transceiver only draws about 9 - 12 amps - depending upon if the fan is running or not and the model.
I can't comment on your setup, but the manufacturer's brochure for the FT-857 (which has a 100 watt transmitter) lists a 22A drain at 13.8V when transmitting.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Bethlehem

Post by Bethlehem » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:21 pm

Do you guys think the old Yaesu FT-101 series radios are too complex for a beginner? I passed the Tec class but I don't have any experience yet. I really need to watch someone else as that's how I learn best. The FT-101ZD radio has the display which I figured would make it easier. I ask because I have the choice between a FT-101? and a FT-101ZD from my Dad, but I've been warned that I don't want to mess with plate and load (whatever that means) as a beginner. I really love the look of the old radios and already know I'll have to collect all the accessories to build a full station as described by Yaesu.

I also have a Yaesu FT-2900R/E 2 meter radio that I want to build into a manpack. I haven't dared to TX on it yet though. I can't find any training classes in my area, just test sites. The most I've been able to see a real HAM us equipment was at Zombiecon 2010 and 2012 hosted by Dr. Jest. It's taken me this long to get things rolling.

I barely survived Zombie Con 2010
I barely survived Zombie Con 2012
Prepping is just procuring time to weigh your options before resorting to drastic actions!

Return to “Communications”