It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:27 pm 

NoAm wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
So, when you'll going for extra? :mrgreen:

That is the first thing we were asked after being congratulated. They would like Mr. NoAm & I to work as a husband/wife team to travel and help administer exams. I told them to give us just a little while.................................. :wink:

ARRL or W5YI Group? It sounds like W5YI...

It also looks like the two of you are making great progress in this wonderful hobby and I encourage you both to keep studying and improving. Though, in the large sense "it's all radio", there are so many sub-fields and niches in the hobby (AM, CW, Satellites, EME, QRP, etc.) that there's always something new to discover and learn about. Hopefully you'll also make some strong friendships along the way, and pick up a good Elmer or two to help guide you on your journey. You'll be amazed at how fast you pick it up and become regular old hams, and Elmers yourselves.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:25 am 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

WCARS is the a local group. I am not sure of designations, etc. I do know the travel radius for testing was 150 miles.
There is still so much to learn!

ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:38 am 

NoAm wrote:

Yes there is, and that's the beauty of it. When I got my extra this past February I looked at it not as "reaching the top" of the hobby but, rather, as proving I had the basics down well enough to start learning the "good stuff". And I am, but I also know I'll never learn it all, and so the process will continue for the rest of my life. I look forward to that. :)

How well have I done so far? Well, I must have at least marginally picked up some of it, because at our annual holiday party last night the radio club I belong to presented me with an award plaque as their "Ham of the Year" for 2011. I either "talk a good game" or have actually learned a few things I guess. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:28 am 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

KJ4VOV wrote:
NoAm wrote:

Yes there is, and that's the beauty of it. When I got my extra this past February I looked at it not as "reaching the top" of the hobby but, rather, as proving I had the basics down well enough to start learning the "good stuff". And I am, but I also know I'll never learn it all, and so the process will continue for the rest of my life. I look forward to that. :)

How well have I done so far? Well, I must have at least marginally picked up some of it, because at our annual holiday party last night the radio club I belong to presented me with an award plaque as their "Ham of the Year" for 2011. I either "talk a good game" or have actually learned a few things I guess. :lol:

That is AMAZING! Congratulations!

Mr. NoAm & I have barely even scratched the surface of Amatuer Radio, we have a lot ahead of us and I know that it will be an enjoyable and valued experience.

ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:47 pm 

just wanted to say thanks for all the info, a club has walk in test a week from Saturday, if i don't have to work that where i will be. thanks again everyone for all the info.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:46 pm 

https://hamstudy.org/

2010 Technician Class question pool
2011 General Class question pool
2012 Amateur Extra Class question pool

This is a free site that has all the most up to date questions along with explanations and practice tests. This is all I studied. Free!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:10 pm 

Sorry to necro this thread, but I had some question I was hoping you wonderful folks in the comms section might be able to help me with. :)

I'm active with my local CERT team, and a lot of our comms, at least beyond normal walkie-talkie range, are done with HAM. I figured that if i was ever in a situation where I was the only one available to transmit vital information, it would probably be better for me to know what the hell to say than to stand there holding a handset and derping out. :v:

-Technician vs. General license: Which would you guys and gals recommend for all-around HAM activities, as well as potential disaster communications?

-Where's a good place to order either the tech. or general license study manual?

-Has the FCC done away with the morse code requirement in the test, or is it still around?

Thanks!

Tactical furry.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:45 pm 

Shiloh wrote:
Sorry to necro this thread, but I had some question I was hoping you wonderful folks in the comms section might be able to help me with. :)

I'm active with my local CERT team, and a lot of our comms, at least beyond normal walkie-talkie range, are done with HAM. I figured that if i was ever in a situation where I was the only one available to transmit vital information, it would probably be better for me to know what the hell to say than to stand there holding a handset and derping out. :v:

-Technician vs. General license: Which would you guys and gals recommend for all-around HAM activities, as well as potential disaster communications?

-Where's a good place to order either the tech. or general license study manual?

-Has the FCC done away with the morse code requirement in the test, or is it still around?

Thanks!

Answers, in order:

Tech is fine for VHF/UHF but you'll want at least General to legally use HF phone for longer range in a disaster.

Amazon.

It's gone.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:48 pm 

Thanks, KJ, I appreciate the help.

Tactical furry.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thanks for all the good info on this forum. I passed my Technician's level exam on my first try!

I studied using this website: https://hamstudy.org/

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:03 pm 

I used http://hamexam.org/ and passed my Tech then General. I took the Extra for S&G's and wow, just wow......

I like how hamexam weights the question pool so you see the ones you get wrong more often than the ones you get right. It also is using the most current question pool. This sight is why I passed both on my first try.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:07 am 

If you don't read the books that are published and if you do not have an Elmer to teach you how to properly operate - you defeated the purpose of amateur radio.

It was never designed to be used as a form of personal communications or a substitute for another type of communications that has failed.

It is to provide a pool of trained radio amateurs.
If you have no training - how could you be a trained radio amateur?

Being able to regurgitate answers to questions long enough to pass a multiple guess test and then forgetting everything that you thought that you learned and thinking that you will be of some sort of help - later when needed, you are just kidding yourself.

The least that you could do would be to attend and participate in a clubs field days activities.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:27 am 

Easy Dah Di Dah :)

I learn by doing. There is not much that I can retain or much less use after memorizing the test OR reading the books. The real learning starts after you have access to the use of the radios. This advice/study technique (that I mentioned earlier) was given to me by several HAM's from one of our local, active clubs when I attended a field day type outing and several, regular club meetings.

I have learned that people get their ticket for many reasons. Not everyone is in it to help their community. A quote from the ARRL (of which I am a member):
Quote:
The unique hobby of Amateur Radio is a mix of fun, public service, and convenience. Although hams get involved for many reasons, they all have in common a basic knowledge of radio technology and operating principles, and pass an examination for the FCC license to operate on radio frequencies known as the "Amateur Bands."

It is unrealistic to think that everyone of the 700,000 licensed in the US (as of Jan., 2012) are volunteering their time and equipment to the community.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:02 am 

I live south of Miami, but the nearest test I've found on the ARRL site is in Fort Lauderdale. Does anyone know of anyplace closer? Thanks!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfation: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:38 pm 

RobtheRigger wrote:
I live south of Miami, but the nearest test I've found on the ARRL site is in Fort Lauderdale. Does anyone know of anyplace closer? Thanks!

Look for clubs in your area and see if any of them offer testing.

Sent via the squirrel underground.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:09 am 

Finally got around to taking the test for technician... got sent back twice... missed a trifecta by about 5 points... maybe if I had actually studied I mighta aced Extra too... 8-)

GOA, SIAR, NAR #77280, UPCHUG, *Team AMiGA*, ZS# 3062 (ZSC:005), KG7FZL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:38 pm 

Only nine days later... my new call is KG7FZL WooHoo! 8-)

GOA, SIAR, NAR #77280, UPCHUG, *Team AMiGA*, ZS# 3062 (ZSC:005), KG7FZL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:22 pm 

Took the Tech license exam tonight and passed. Now to study for general.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30558

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:30 pm 

Picked up a study guide that has complete practice test and a bunch of other stuff like band plans and general ham stuff so I can pass the exam. That is, if I can find a place to take it that's not in another state. :roll:

Tactical furry.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:48 am 

DrTzap wrote:
Only nine days later... my new call is KG7FZL WooHoo! 8-)

Congratulations.

Hope to catch you from across the pond one day. :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:49 am 

ais4122 wrote:
Took the Tech license exam tonight and passed. Now to study for general.

Great job.

Another one on the air!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:20 am 

Dang you all, now you've got me looking into ANOTHER hobby! I'm taking practice exams and using online "flash cards" to try to study for at least a technician license now. I just took a practice test, with a very little bit of looking at the online flash cards on hamexam.org last night, with VERY little real knowledge of electronics or physics for that matter (took Chemistry 2 in high school instead), and still scored 22/35 (64%). I figure if I can study some more, I might actually be able to pass one. If I can do this, with my lack of knowledge of hard sciences, anybody can!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:14 pm 

I am looking for the actual material to read. I have degrees in engineering and science, I looked a practice questions and can do all those types. I don't know regs, or other non science stuff. However, I don't want to just take 350 questions to regurgitate it back. I would actually like to read the material to learn it.

Can someone suggest an online site or book that has the material and not just test questions? I have searched and found way too many choices so I was hoping someone with experience can recommend some and narrow down the options. thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:48 pm 

Okay, I officially need some help with this one. I've been trying to find a test session in my area for close to two weeks now, with no success. I've tried the ARRL site, along with some google-fu, with no success. I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know of a testing center somewhere relatively close to my location?

PS: Riverton, WY. Area code 82501

Edit: Heard somewhere that you can take the exam via mail-in packet. Is that still/ever was a thing? Because right now there's literally nowhere that I can find to take it. :vmad:

Tactical furry.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next