Zombie Squad Amateur Radio Network: part 2 - Licensing

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:08 am

I just went to http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl and took the test a bazillion times. Anything technical I googled until I understood it.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:16 am

jamoni wrote:Just got my technician license. Let me tell you, those guys make regular nerds seem like suave sophisticates. They did mock the guy who failed, though, which was pretty cool.

Woot!

I just picked up a new Yaesu FT-2800M 2-meter mobile (65 watts) for $130 including shipping off ebay today.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Hermit
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Remake), 28 Days Later

Post by Hermit » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:28 am

jamoni wrote:I just went to http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl and took the test a bazillion times. Anything technical I googled until I understood it.

How many hours/days did you study (estimate)? I've been taking the practice exams at http://www.w8mhb.com/ over and over again.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:10 pm

Hermit wrote:
jamoni wrote:I just went to http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl and took the test a bazillion times. Anything technical I googled until I understood it.

How many hours/days did you study (estimate)? I've been taking the practice exams at http://www.w8mhb.com/ over and over again.

Probably a total of 6-8 hours. Just whenever.
Woot on the handheld. I'm still reeling from xmas shopping, but when things settle down I'm going to pick up a nice handheld.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Doctor Jest » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:54 pm

Hermit,
I know I recommended w8mhb's site myself. But I just looked at it yesterday. Mike has not updated his site to reflect the fact that they changed the Tech test this past summer. He's not using the current test, so use another source of practice exams like the link jamoni has posted above.

kyle,
Congratulations on the YAESU!
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Hermit
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Remake), 28 Days Later

Post by Hermit » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:17 am

Doctor Jest wrote:Hermit,
I know I recommended w8mhb's site myself. But I just looked at it yesterday. Mike has not updated his site to reflect the fact that they changed the Tech test this past summer. He's not using the current test, so use another source of practice exams like the link jamoni has posted above.

Yeah...

I spent most of today taking the tests at the site jamoni was using...I'm able to pass with 80% proficiency on a regular basis so far, but I'm paranoid about it so I'll probably keep working the exams over for awhile longer.

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Doctor Jest » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:28 am

Hermit,

If you're scoring 80%, you should be fine. 70% is passing. I understand your point, though, I studied till I knew the material like the back of my hand.
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:23 pm

Just got my callsign. :)

Cromwell

Post by Cromwell » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:26 pm

Congrats!

Cromwell
Persona Non Grata

O

Post by O » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:52 pm

Jamoni,

That's awesome to hear. Do you have a radio yet?
kyle wrote:"I can't dispute my level of coolness"

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:15 pm

O wrote:Jamoni,

That's awesome to hear. Do you have a radio yet?

Uh....
no.

I understand there's a big hamfest next month in Collinsville. I'm planning on liquidating some assets and picking up a decent mobile.

CutterJeff

Post by CutterJeff » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:41 pm

I've been hitting the online technician test - good website. I'm kinda proud - scored a 72 without studying, I'm up to getting 82-85 or so reliably now.

Found this site: http://www.aa9pw.com/radio/morse.html which will generate a .au sound file of code for you to decode. I'm going to start playing with it a bit each day, see if I can get to where I understand it.

Tech-no-code test if Feb 03 in my area.... See if I can make it or if work drags me out.

Rogue1987

Re: Zombie Squad Amateur Radio Network: part 2 - Licensing

Post by Rogue1987 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Is it true that the FCC has droped the CW requirement on the general license test?

I've just really started getting into this, I can do about 90% on the online tests, now I am just trying to find where and when I can take the test for technician, and am trying to figure out if I need to start hammering code for the general test as well (Something makes me think its going to take a while to get code down pat for me).

LtCmdLeia
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by LtCmdLeia » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:49 pm

Rogue, there's no code requirements anymore.

You can go to arrl.org to get a list of times and locations for exams.
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause" ... Senator Padmé Amidala, Star Wars, Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith

ImageImageImage

Leethal
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by Leethal » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Check your local amateur radio clubs to see if they do regular testing. I know most of the ones around here have monthly or bimonthly testing.
Jvandenhaus wrote:This is why we can't have nice things.
Neal Boortz wrote:"Robin Hood didn't, as most people believe, 'take from the rich to give to the poor.' He actually took from the government. Small but important point."

PoorImpulseControl

Post by PoorImpulseControl » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:41 am

The other option is to look for local VE testing sessions on the ARRL website.

Other study guides / helpful websites are as follows:

QRZ's practice tests. Free and useful to see which areas where you may be weak.

Eham also has some practice tests.

Ham Test Online is a subscription based service that works out very VERY well. The price is $50/2 years. More than enough time for you to study all the way to your extra!
73!
AK, XD, Cake, Pirates.
Living up to my username since 1980.

WoG
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by WoG » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:52 pm

Thanks for this thread - this info is great, I'm going to start studying.

WoG

Post by WoG » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:53 am

My test is tomorrow morning. Going to try and get tech and general nailed in one day. I feel good about the tech test, but the general is going to be tough for me. I've got some flash cards, Dr.Jests notes (thanks btw) and I'm going to cram my eyeballs out tonight and take a ton of practice tests. I'll post in here on how it went.

Wish me luck. :)

WoG

Post by WoG » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:18 pm

Passed the tech test, I chickened out on the general test. I need to learn a lot more... :)

But hopefully I'll get a radio soon and get on the air.

LtCmdLeia
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by LtCmdLeia » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:35 pm

Congratulations WoG!
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause" ... Senator Padmé Amidala, Star Wars, Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith

ImageImageImage

hawke84
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead,Dawn of the Dead,Day of the Dead,

Post by hawke84 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:32 pm

Congrats WoG
The General test is not that hard. With a bit more study you'l do fine.

"73"
Rex
N5TDA
"I Stand Between"

"Never shall innocent blood be shed,
yet the blood of the wicked will flow like a river...
For I shall spread my blackened wings...
and be the vengeful striking hammer of God."

CoffeeGuy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Chopper Chicks in Zombietown, Shawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Resident Evil (only the 1st), Return of the Living Dead, Bloodsuckers From Outer Space, Wild Zero, Biozombie.... (many more for such different reasons)

Post by CoffeeGuy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:54 am

Now that the CW is not required to get the General... do I need to take the Tech before taking the General... or is my time best spend studying only for the General?

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:41 pm

CoffeeGuy wrote:Now that the CW is not required to get the General... do I need to take the Tech before taking the General... or is my time best spend studying only for the General?

You have to take the exams in sequence, but the tech exam should be a no-brainer if you're ready for the general. Also, one exam fee lets you take as many exams as you can pass, so it'll save you a few bucks to take both at once. You'll also get a free shot at extra, so you might guess your way to a higher class license even if you haven't really studied for it.

MikeCharlieUniform

Re:

Post by MikeCharlieUniform » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:14 pm

Just to test myself, without any studying at all I went and took one of these tests and scored a 74%. Of course, I also have a BS in electrical engineering, but on the flip side I haven't actually done any electrical engineering in 9 years. So it's not a very hard test. I obviously missed a few questions related to some regs and stuff.

Maybe I should start studying for a general and try to knock two down in one pass.

Return to “Communications”