laser comm device in latest :Make magazine

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

scottiej

laser comm device in latest :Make magazine

Post by scottiej » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:11 pm

don't have a link, but I noticed there's a how-to in the latest "make" magazine (the "spy issue"). It's an interesting two-way voice communicator using laser-pointers. It would be a little difficult to hold the beam steady over long distances, but would illuminate the possibility of enemy interception.
"Now you see evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Re: laser comm device in latest :Make magazine

Post by Jamie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:38 pm

scottiej wrote:don't have a link, but I noticed there's a how-to in the latest "make" magazine (the "spy issue"). It's an interesting two-way voice communicator using laser-pointers. It would be a little difficult to hold the beam steady over long distances, but would illuminate the possibility of enemy interception.
Malapropism Squad approves of this message...
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

spacecase0
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil series

Post by spacecase0 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:47 pm

lasers are way less likely to be intercepted than radio,
just use infrared lasers and not many people will know that you are transmitting at all.

I will have to go get that issue,
I love communications like that,
"1911, AK, corn bread, red/blue wire neutral"
people in america still like to pretend they are free, the day they know they are not, they will stop pretending

jrossetti
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Movie: 28 Days Later
PAW Movies: The Omega Man, Panic in Year Zero!

Post by jrossetti » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:44 pm

It must be mentioned that it's a point-to-point communication method, this means line-of sight, though distance is less of a concern if line-of-sight is established. I wonder how well it could perform in rain/snow?

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:29 pm

At <5mw? not very. I'd say a mile or two under ideal situations, and a tenth of that in inclement weather.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

meatshieldChris
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Evil Dead trilogy

Post by meatshieldChris » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:18 pm

crypto wrote:At <5mw? not very. I'd say a mile or two under ideal situations, and a tenth of that in inclement weather.
and at that power and range you'd have a hard time lining them up if you find a well collimated one. at least with higher powered lasers you can spread them a tad and still have the power for a good SNR.

Return to “Communications”