Radios besides baofeng that can get FRS,GMRS,MURS?

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zombie360

Radios besides baofeng that can get FRS,GMRS,MURS?

Post by zombie360 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 pm

I''ve read some complaints on reliability/longevity (not that many), of the various Baofeng handheld radios.

And was wondering are there any other handheld radios as flexible with what they can be programed to receive (FRS,GMRS,MURS, etc), that I could pick up on the used market for maybe like $75-$85 instead of $22 for a new Baofeng?

Thanks for any input.

TacAir

Re: Radios besides baofeng that can get FRS,GMRS,MURS?

Post by TacAir » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:41 pm

Buy a used scanner if you only want to receive.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

zombie360

Post by zombie360 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:18 am

It's illegal to transmit anything other than ham with a baofeng (and that needs a license) so lets just say I want to be able to transmit but would only do it in an emergency. 8-)

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:14 am

zombie360 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:18 am
It's illegal to transmit anything other than ham with a baofeng (and that needs a license) so lets just say I want to be able to transmit but would only do it in an emergency. 8-)
Actually, there's some questions still about the legality of them for ham use at the moment, due to a recent FCC memo. Regardless though, if you're planning ahead to use any radio for emergency transmission then the smart thing to do would be to get licensed now, before any need arises, so you can legally practice and develop the skills needed to use it proficiently. You wouldn't buy any other piece of gear and just tuck it away without practice using it, would you? There's a lot to learn when it comes to radio communications for and during emergencies, and drills and practice beforehand are essential to maximize your chances of rescue or assistance.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:07 am

It's not like turning on a AM/FM radio. If you don't plan to practice I'd stick with FRS as the most useful option without training/practice. But even then, getting a radio stuck on a "privacy channel" can really reduce the radios effectiveness.

Getting the first level ham license is fairly easy. There is some work one needs to put into it.

Wuxon and Yeasu are brands I would look at if wanting to upgrade from a Baofeng.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:03 am

Let me get this straight, you'd rather buy a used [unknown condition] HT for $80, than a new Baofeng for $30? When I buy used or refurbished I'm also wary of the reliability, even more than new. At least at first.

In my experience, if new stuff is going to breakdown or is defective it happens right away. With used or refurb it happens when its least convenient for it to happen.

I have Baofengs and if they were to break today I'd think I got my money's worth and then some. They're also a scanner and FM radio, flashlight and signal light. And very small, yet really sturdy. Baofeng USA has a pretty good warranty in text, I haven't had to try it out yet. At the very least its an inexpensive way to get some hardware and software experience and then if you like the hobby, upgrade to your hearts content.

Longevity, I've read some things about that and personally think there may be some mismatching on the antennas, or aftermarket knockoff antennas being used that aren't tuned right and effect the longevity on the unit. An SWR meter would help with that. Or just make sure you buy authentic Baofeng antennas. I've only had mine a year or two though, but that's $15/year if you want to count it that way. And if they break they can be replaced for $30 and the accessories are interchangeable including batteries.

Return to “Communications”