High gain AM/FM automotive antenna mast?

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

High gain AM/FM automotive antenna mast?

Post by moab » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:27 am

Just looking for a stock replacement mast (Hopefully shorter.) that screws into my Jeep Wrangler TJ's antenna mount. I think it's the standard thread pattern. Something like this. But that will improve the gain of my radio - to the degree that it's worth the extra money? Is this not possible? I'm not seeing anything on the net. Except a shorter one with the SAME reception as stock. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5JK8E2/?t ... rg-20&th=1 Or if I mount an extra antenna can I get better AM/FM reception? And/or would I do better with a handheld device and a high gain am/fm antenna for that? I have GMRS radios. Don't recall if the mast is replaceable. But I think it is.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Re: High gain AM/FM automotive antenna mast?

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:09 am

Everything I know about omni-directional antennas says "shorter = less good" until you reach a certain point with respect to the length of the radio wave you are trying to capture. I think you are seeing that fact played out in the antennas you are looking at.

Now, it sounds like you ALSO have questions about your GMRS? What are you wanting to do with that? I am not sure if you are simply wanting to connect a better antenna, connect it to your jeep, or do something else with it?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

moab

Post by moab » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:25 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:09 am
Everything I know about omni-directional antennas says "shorter = less good" until you reach a certain point with respect to the length of the radio wave you are trying to capture. I think you are seeing that fact played out in the antennas you are looking at.

Now, it sounds like you ALSO have questions about your GMRS? What are you wanting to do with that? I am not sure if you are simply wanting to connect a better antenna, connect it to your jeep, or do something else with it?
I don't care if the antenna is even longer. I'm not finding any high gain car antennas. Except junk from china that makes all sorts of claims.

I think my GMRS radios receive am/fm as well. I was just thinking about putting a high gain stubby on that that would pick up am/fm better than my car radio. And then swapping back antennas when I'm using them to rx/tx. (?) Or my scanner. My scanners probably get better am/fm than my car anyway. Have never tested it.

I have a countycomm radio with a long wire antenna. Which I'm sure gets better reception than my car. WAs just hoping for something I could carry or have in the Jeep that would bring in better am/fm from the mountains. And yes I understand terrain on radio signals.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:37 pm

I would take a look at the Ed Fong antennas for GMRS. Should do much better than your current antenna, but will require you to hoist them in the air. While they are made for GMRS rx/tx, I bet they would also improve AM/FM. Swap for the shorty when on the move.

I might Google around for solutions too.

Otherwise, getting directional antennas is the next best route. I have never looked into antennas for the recreational AM/FM bands.

I don't know that many car owners really care about the antenna on the car. But I might Google and look for any solutions from those in a similar situation to yours. I bet most anyone in that position is using a directional antenna.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

moab

Post by moab » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:49 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:37 pm
I would take a look at the Ed Fong antennas for GMRS. Should do much better than your current antenna, but will require you to hoist them in the air. While they are made for GMRS rx/tx, I bet they would also improve AM/FM. Swap for the shorty when on the move.

Otherwise, getting directional antennas is the next best route. I have never looked into antennas for the recreational AM/FM bands.

I don't know that many car owners really care about the antenna on the car. But I might Google and look for any solutions from those in a similar situation to yours. I bet most anyone in that position is using a directional antenna.
I have a Yagi directional antenna somewhere. I could adapt that to my cars adapter. But that seems like overkill with handhelds onhand. That are of much better quality than my cars headunit. lol. I'll look into some better antennas for my scanners.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:44 pm

moab wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:49 pm
woodsghost wrote:

I have a Yagi directional antenna somewhere. I could adapt that to my cars adapter. But that seems like overkill with handhelds onhand. That are of much better quality than my cars headunit. lol. I'll look into some better antennas for my scanners.
I think you have a plan then.

I am also thinking some of this depends on what you want to do. If you want to go out with friends and get some more range out of the radio, that is one thing. If you are looking to bug out and pull in weak signals from town, I would get out that yagi.

Over lunch I'm looking and seeing things about "head units" and "signal boosters." Those might be worth looking at? I don't have any experience. Most of my experience is with small HTs and ham radios in the car, and either using whip antennas or ladderline antennas I can put up in trees. My own yagi is made for 2M (144mhz), and is very portable. I've set it up in field conditions and if I have to bug out by vehicle, that is probably coming along. The ladderline antennas will for sure be there.

moab

Post by moab » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:54 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:44 pm
moab wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:49 pm
woodsghost wrote:

I think you have a plan then.

I am also thinking some of this depends on what you want to do. If you want to go out with friends and get some more range out of the radio, that is one thing. If you are looking to bug out and pull in weak signals from town, I would get out that yagi.

Over lunch I'm looking and seeing things about "head units" and "signal boosters." Those might be worth looking at? I don't have any experience. Most of my experience is with small HTs and ham radios in the car, and either using whip antennas or ladderline antennas I can put up in trees. My own yagi is made for 2M (144mhz), and is very portable. I've set it up in field conditions and if I have to bug out by vehicle, that is probably coming along. The ladderline antennas will for sure be there.
Ya. I just want to get better reception out of my cars antenna. As sort of a first line of offense. Or defense. Whichever way you want to look at it. I saw that stubby antenna with the same range as a long one. And thought hhmmnnn. Maybe they make an antenna with high gain for an am/fm car antenna. But I think no such luck. I'll either stick with my regular antenna. Or maybe get the shorter one for off road use later on down the road. It really is a luxury item for me at this point. As I have a lot of other areas on my Jeep that need upgrades rather than a short antenna.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:17 pm

In my days of Jeeps, CB's and Armour-all ing the vinyl seats before taking my (Now wife) out 4 wheeling :rofl: . I remember seeing connectors to run your AM/FM radio off the whip antenna. Dont know if it'll help reception, but maybe worth looking into? I know the common complaint was anytime you keyed the CB Mic, the radio went spastic...
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:48 pm

Because of the wavelengths involved with broadcast band (both AM and FM) radio you really can't compare them well to CB. The frequencies are too far apart to have more than very general characteristics in common. There's a lot of other differences between the two that make it a poor comparison.

The single biggest factor that will affect broadcast radio reception is going to be receiver sensitivity. You could have a receive antenna that is electrically perfect for receiving a specific signal, but if the receive sensitivity on the radio is shit you'll never hear the signal. If your reception isn't very good with the stock antenna (that's properly connected and mounted) then your next step is to find a radio with better sensitivity. You can try a "signal booster" (basically a receive amplifier that takes what the antenna receives and boosts it a certain number of decibels and then sends that to the radio) and may have very good luck with it, if your radio isn't real crap to start with. Many of the low end "stock" automotive radios were just that, utter crap when it came to reception.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:54 am

NT2C wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:48 pm
Because of the wavelengths involved with broadcast band (both AM and FM) radio you really can't compare them well to CB. The frequencies are too far apart to have more than very general characteristics in common. There's a lot of other differences between the two that make it a poor comparison.

The single biggest factor that will affect broadcast radio reception is going to be receiver sensitivity. You could have a receive antenna that is electrically perfect for receiving a specific signal, but if the receive sensitivity on the radio is shit you'll never hear the signal. If your reception isn't very good with the stock antenna (that's properly connected and mounted) then your next step is to find a radio with better sensitivity. You can try a "signal booster" (basically a receive amplifier that takes what the antenna receives and boosts it a certain number of decibels and then sends that to the radio) and may have very good luck with it, if your radio isn't real crap to start with. Many of the low end "stock" automotive radios were just that, utter crap when it came to reception.
I don't notice any problem with my head unit and antennas reception now. I was just thinking if I could add a different mast that pulled in those stations at maximum possible gain. Why not? Would be a nice addition to the Jeep and my preps. But it sounds like what I already have is about as good as it gets. So I'm happy with that. I'm not using the stock head unit. It's a Kenwood aftermarket with a removable faceplate - because of the Jeep. It's a great stereo and speaker set up. I have the sound bar above my head on the roll bars. And I assume a couple speakers up front. You can easily blast yourself out of there. And disturb those around you. lol. I'm not a huge audiophile anyway. I like my headphones and earbuds to be of a certain quality. But that's about as far as it goes. I mainly just listen to a chill internet station on my desktop with my Logitec 5.1 surround sound speaker system. Or the radio in my Jeep. What I have now suits me fine. Just woulda been a cool little item if someone made one.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:29 pm

What about an exterior whip antenna for better am/fm reception? there are these made in AU.

http://www.mobileone.com.au/4b_amfm.html

Return to “Communications”