It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:39 am 

Just purchased the Yaesu FTM-400XDR to put in my Jeep:

Already installed is a CB with the antenna connected to the rear passenger corner, looking for advise on where to mount the antenna for the Yaesu, as well as any recommendations on antennas. Have been considering a roof rack, and I realize that would theoretically be the ideal placement for the antenna.

Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:08 pm 

Red_Snow wrote:
Just purchased the Yaesu FTM-400XDR to put in my Jeep:

Already installed is a CB with the antenna connected to the rear passenger corner, looking for advise on where to mount the antenna for the Yaesu, as well as any recommendations on antennas. Have been considering a roof rack, and I realize that would theoretically be the ideal placement for the antenna.

First, I'd suggest moving the CB antenna to the driver's side (less likely to contact things on the side of the road, like low branches). Second, there really are no "ideal" spots on a Wrangler for ham antennas but there are some really nice mounts made that improve the possible mounting locations. Me? I'd go with an offset hood mount that would go under the lip of the hood on the driver's side (again, to avoid branches and other things on those narrow two-way country roads).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:18 pm 

KJ4VOV wrote:
First, I'd suggest moving the CB antenna to the driver's side (less likely to contact things on the side of the road, like low branches). Second, there really are no "ideal" spots on a Wrangler for ham antennas but there are some really nice mounts made that improve the possible mounting locations. Me? I'd go with an offset hood mount that would go under the lip of the hood on the driver's side (again, to avoid branches and other things on those narrow two-way country roads).

Where its mounted is pretty well protected and on a spring mount, I'm not too worried about damage. Have been considering performing a temporary antenna install via hood mount and move it to a permanent install dead center in the planned for roof rack.

Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:16 am 

Red_Snow wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:

Where its mounted is pretty well protected and on a spring mount, I'm not too worried about damage. Have been considering performing a temporary antenna install via hood mount and move it to a permanent install dead center in the planned for roof rack.

Spring mounts on the curb side should really be avoided. My wife has a scar across her face from getting hit with a spring mounted CB antenna on a pickup truck that made a sharp turn. The antenna swung out and hit her as she was standing on the sidewalk waiting to cross the street. That was 40 years ago and you can still see the line.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:41 am 

KJ4VOV wrote:
Red_Snow wrote:
Spring mounts on the curb side should really be avoided. My wife has a scar across her face from getting hit with a spring mounted CB antenna on a pickup truck that made a sharp turn. The antenna swung out and hit her as she was standing on the sidewalk waiting to cross the street. That was 40 years ago and you can still see the line.

Few points; its not a whip antenna, I'm running a much heavier spring than required as I hate antennas that wobble all over the place, and the spring is only there to prevent antenna breakage when impacting trail debris. I understand the concern, but if a four foot firestick can hit someone in the face as I drive by I'm either on the sidewalk with the jeep tipping over, or they are in the wrong place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:29 am 

Red_Snow wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
Red_Snow wrote:

Few points; its not a whip antenna, I'm running a much heavier spring than required as I hate antennas that wobble all over the place, and the spring is only there to prevent antenna breakage when impacting trail debris. I understand the concern, but if a four foot firestick can hit someone in the face as I drive by I'm either on the sidewalk with the jeep tipping over, or they are in the wrong place.

Ah, gotcha, and you're right, it wouldn't usually be a problem.

From what she's told me the guy was coming down the street she was walking along and made a sharp and fast left across traffic to turn onto the street she was getting ready to cross. The antenna did exactly what you would expect physics to make a 9ft whip do under those conditions and it caught her as it swung out. She was 12 at the time but tall for her age. Had she been a little younger and shorter it would have passed over her head.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:22 pm 

There are more than a few quality Mag mount V/Uhf antennas on the market.

If I may suggest, a Wilson 5/8 wave, mag mount for 2 meters ( Product #: DAS880-300200B)
might be just the thing. Good gain, robust build and you can use it on more than one vehicle as needs be.

Wilson is known for a good quality product.

I've used the Larsen NMO150C 5/8 fixed mount with good luck. I worked in the LMR/SMR industry for a number of years and have had nothing but outstanding service from Larsen antenna products.

I've found the 5/8 wave (3dB gain) offers the best mix for size vs gain.

Good luck, I no longer go 4wheeling, but I know there is a lot of fun to be had.