Is this a steal?

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Is this a steal?

Post by moab » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:30 pm

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Is this a steal?

Post by NT2C » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:46 pm

Not really. They're only 2 watt UHF units after all. No VFO, no display, everything has to be pre-programmed. They'd be good for something like a local event where everyone was going through a repeater or cross band repeat to a more powerful system. For example, one of the events I've covered a few times was a local triathlon and these would probably work fine for the swim and the run portions of the event, through the cross band repeater setup at the NOC, but not work at all for the bike portion of the event. They also would, of course, require a valid license to use legally.
Last edited by NT2C on Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:44 pm

they are not a steal, but they are decent for the money if you have a use for several radios, and need more distance that FRS.
just remember the programing cable.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:50 am

I recently bought a Baofeng UV-5R for ~$25, and I feel that was a good value. It should be bought with the understanding that one will want to spend $15-$20 on a better antenna and probably $10-$15 for a bigger battery.

I'll also want a programming cable and a microphone. So that $25 radio becomes a $50-$80 radio. But I can buy a BF-8 later and apply all those accessories to the BF-8.

Plus I need to get my license so I can actually transmit. I found out a local college hosts classes so I'll do that with a friend.

Just where I'm at for the moment. Any feedback from the more experienced is appreciated.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “Communications”