Yep, I am now a space wizard!

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Yep, I am now a space wizard!

Post by doitnstyle1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:06 am

Just passed my Amateur Extra. Two months of study group, watching Dave Casler's Amateur Extra Radio class on Youtube and a lot of practice testing. I love the idea of having the extra bandwidth. Now I'm off to practice CW and some digital modes.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Yep, I am now a space wizard!

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:27 am

doitnstyle1 wrote:Just passed my Amateur Extra. Two months of study group, watching Dave Casler's Amateur Extra Radio class on Youtube and a lot of practice testing. I love the idea of having the extra bandwidth. Now I'm off to practice CW and some digital modes.
Congrats!

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:31 am

doitnstyle1 wrote:Just passed my Amateur Extra. Two months of study group, watching Dave Casler's Amateur Extra Radio class on Youtube and a lot of practice testing. I love the idea of having the extra bandwidth. Now I'm off to practice CW and some digital modes.
Great progress!
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

Post by Chicago Zombie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:39 am

Congrats! :D :clap:
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:27 am

Right ON! 73's!

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:07 pm

Get ready to have fun. Don't be surprised if (on some nets) you are not welcomed with open arms.

Second hint - don't metion that you are a prepper. Many in the ham community - sadly and for whatever reason equate that to being a "wacker". IOW, don't let a tiny minority spoil what can be great fun.

And yes - work on your CW - a lot of the really exotic DX is CW only...

73 es C U ltr
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:32 pm

TacAir wrote:Get ready to have fun. Don't be surprised if (on some nets) you are not welcomed with open arms.

Second hint - don't metion that you are a prepper. Many in the ham community - sadly and for whatever reason equate that to being a "wacker". IOW, don't let a tiny minority spoil what can be great fun.

And yes - work on your CW - a lot of the really exotic DX is CW only...

73 es C U ltr
I have already met with some resistance on some nets as a general. But for the most part, it has been a great experience.

I never really mention the prepper thing. I don't particularly want it out on the airwaves anyways. OPSEC is still my watchword.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Return to “Communications”