It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:25 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I have a rural property that does not have access to high speed internet. The house has a metal roof and metal shutters which play hell with cell phone signals.

When I am in the yard I get pretty good reception (Verizon) and consistent 4g data at about 7 to 9 mbs down and 1/2 that up. So I have decent outside signal. However, voice and data in side except standing by one of two specific windows yields data at greatly reduced speeds of 1 to 2 mbs and voice calls that break up.

As an experiment I put the cell phone on top of an 8 ft ladder (in the yard next to a window) and turned on the wifi hot spot and was accessing the internet at the 7 to 9 mbs speeds from inside the house via wifi.

I could simply get a water proof box and leave the phone on the top of the ladder but there clearly has to be a better way to bring the outside signal into the house. I do this on my boat but I suspect that there is a much simpler way to do this at a much lower price since that requires both a signal booster and a large antenna due to distance issues.

I do not need to improve the signal strength simply route it outside. I have seen many types of repeaters but they are pricey and most seem like snake oil solutions or overkill designed for marine applications. The simplest solution is to get a mini cell site form Verizon but that requires high speed internet which I do not have here. That BTW works well at another property that does have high speed internet.

I have also shopped for repeaters but before I simply starting wasting money going through alternate boxes or call my marine cell guy out both of which is more costly than I desire; I thought I would consult the ZS hive mind for a cost effective plug and play solution.

Summary:
The carrier is Verizon.
The goal is 4g signal inside at a level about equal to outside, at a cost of less than $300.
Ideally something that I can simply plug into the wall power outlet, screw an antenna into the house eave (for height above the metal roof) and drill a single hole for the antenna cable into the house to connect the whole thing.
Bluetooth connection maybe so that even drilling a hole would not be required?

Any suggestions?

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:37 am 

I hate to say it but, a Wilson signal booster might again be your best choice. I have a friend with the same exact issue, same carrier, rural property, say level of signal strength, metal box (double wide trailer) and that was his solution.

The good news is that if you shop around you can usually get them for under $300

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:15 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

KJ4VOV wrote:
I hate to say it but, a Wilson signal booster might again be your best choice.

Do you have a link to a suitable device.

This is the wilson unit I have on the boat but It was about $500 and another $500 in labor to install it. It works well but at that price I would expect it to work well. This is discontinued and the newest version is about $600 plus installation.

http://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com/wils ... g-lte.html

I was hoping to find something simple like this but a little less snake oily.

https://www.amazon.com/zBoost-ZB575-V-V ... RXQTJS#Ask

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:15 pm 

raptor wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
I hate to say it but, a Wilson signal booster might again be your best choice.

Do you have a link to a suitable device.

This is the wilson unit I have on the boat but It was about $500 and another $500 in labor to install it. It works well but at that price I would expect it to work well. This is discontinued and the newest version is about $600 plus installation.

http://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com/wils ... g-lte.html

I was hoping to find something simple like this but a little less snake oily.

https://www.amazon.com/zBoost-ZB575-V-V ... RXQTJS#Ask

This is the model he has: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HW ... 2407782011

He bought his locally somewhere, possibly at a hamfest, and paid $250 for it. I think it may have been used.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:58 pm 

I live in a rural community in a brick house with a metal roof. We can't get "high speed" internet either. We do get internet at 3/512 however. Most of the time it runs even slower at 1-2. We have a drop and use our own wireless router. So if you can get any service at all that might work.

Verizon now allows voice of WiFi calling so we don't need cell signal anymore if we are in the basement or somewhere inside where the signal does not reach. I have never had a problem with a dropped call or breaking up mid signal.

Option 2 could be what we used to do before we could get the internet at all out here. Since you can get Verizon cell signals up high simply put a MiFi Box (Jet Pack) in the attic. It will run you about $50 plus the service contract. The nice thing about a Jet Pack is that it will run at least 12 hours without any power at all and it uses a very small amount to recharge the battery. You can then make calls through the jet pack. You can also take it with you when you are not there and use it other places conveniently.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:41 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I can and did have an ISDN line put in for a month. When it worked, it was at best 57k (yes .057 mbs) and as such was more of an annoyance than useful. The voice line was actually worse than the cell phone in terms of call quality so I shut it off.

Cell voice and data coverage is actually pretty good ... everywhere except inside the house. :roll:

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:03 pm 

Call Verizon, tell them you "love their service, but you're thinking of leaving them because you cant get service in the house, is there anything you can do for me?" I know once upon a time, they would give away the service extenders...

raptor wrote:
...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:
... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:05 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

SCBrian wrote:
Call Verizon, tell them you "love their service, but you're thinking of leaving them because you cant get service in the house, is there anything you can do for me?" I know once upon a time, they would give away the service extenders...

That is a damn good, out of the box idea! :clap:

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:41 am 

raptor wrote:
SCBrian wrote:

Except... those extenders require an internet connection. Essentially they act as an indoor cell tower, but instead of transferring the calls to/from regular telephone landlines, they get transferred to/from VOIP.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:14 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

KJ4VOV wrote:
raptor wrote:
SCBrian wrote:

Except... those extenders require an internet connection. Essentially they act as an indoor cell tower, but instead of transferring the calls to/from regular telephone landlines, they get transferred to/from VOIP.

Thank you.
I understand the difference. I have an internet connected "mini cell tower" at another property.

The way I see it is it never hurts to ask. All they can do is say no. That thought had not occured to me.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:37 am 

raptor wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
raptor wrote:
SCBrian wrote:

Thank you.
I understand the difference. I have an internet connected "mini cell tower" at another property.

The way I see it is it never hurts to ask. All they can do is say no. That thought had not occured to me.

We were offered one of those by Sprint because our cell reception in this area sucks so bad. We turned it down because, while we have a great high speed internet connection via cable, connection to it was automatic there was no security on the thing. Any nearby cell phone would use it and it had a 4 connection limit. More than likely, one of our neighbors would be on it when we needed to use it. Instead, we went with a pair of LG G Flex phones that can route calls via wifi when out of cell range. Our regular landline phone system also allows connecting to the cell phones, either for them to be used with the landline, or for any house phone to use the cell numbers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:35 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

KJ4VOV wrote:
We were offered one of those by Sprint because our cell reception in this area sucks so bad. We turned it down because, while we have a great high speed internet connection via cable, connection to it was automatic there was no security on the thing. Any nearby cell phone would use it and it had a 4 connection limit. More than likely, one of our neighbors would be on it when we needed to use it. Instead, we went with a pair of LG G Flex phones that can route calls via wifi when out of cell range. Our regular landline phone system also allows connecting to the cell phones, either for them to be used with the landline, or for any house phone to use the cell numbers.

Yes mine will route any Verizon phone through it at my expense since they assume my phone is making the call.

http://www.howtogeek.com/233660/dont-ge ... rban-area/

AT&T does have a means to set up approved users or so I am told.

It is in a rural area inside a house with multiple (but unintentional) signal blockers like a metal roof. However the thing is turned off when no one is at the house (we do not live there full time) which is the best way to secure it .

ImageImageImage