Need some Freq. help.

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

IANMCDEVITT

Need some Freq. help.

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:35 pm

I'm headed to the border of Ukraine and Russia and I'm packing a small handi-talkie. I need some advice on some frequencies. What was the one that everyone monitors, 133.something-something-something ? :crazy:

SCBrian

Re: Need some Freq. help.

Post by SCBrian » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:00 pm

IANMCDEVITT wrote:I'm headed to the border of Ukraine and Russia and I'm packing a small handi-talkie. I need some advice on some frequencies. What was the one that everyone monitors, 133.something-something-something ? :crazy:
2 Meter calling? 146.5200 ?
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:07 am

Thanks brian, yes, two-meter. Are there any other freqs you'd recommend? Most frequencies are monitored by everyone's SIGINT/ELINT, but It'd be a call for help to any of the good guys. Thanks man.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:48 am

156.800 is international maritime distress, and if your handheld goes into 70cm (most do) 446.00 is also a calling freq. Primarily these are US freq's though. YMMV in the Ukraine and my knowledge of cryllic doesn't allow me to translate anything to check.
http://www.uarl.com.ua/ <-- might be a good start - Ukraine Amateur radio league
Try to touch base with someone with boots on the ground over there for region specific?
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:14 am

I'm curious what kind of small handi-talkie can catch all that. Can you tell us what model you're using?

Please share if you hear anything cool!
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:00 pm

I don't need to catch much, just need to transmit out if I need to. I don't know a thing about comms except what I learned in the Army. That consists of DONT TALK ON THE RADIO OR YOU WILL BE FOUND AND KILLED......what do I have? I have an FT60 and another cheap dual band. I'm here because I don't know much about radio's.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:21 pm

Dabster - tons of the new radios on the market are SDR (software defined radios) all the hard work is done on chips. This enables the handhelds to easily be dual band, and I swear I've heard of a tri-band recently*.
A Cheap Baofeng UV-5R can transmit/receive through 136-174/400-520 mhz. Another ~$10 for a technician license and you're a licensed ham with a small radio for ~$40.

Ian - I'm tried digging further in, but I'm at a loss. I know your not going over there as a ham and planning to broadcast except in an emergency, so I'm not going to go into the legal mambo-jumbo which is in a state of flux, especially with Crimea. Best bet I can think of is talk to any comms guys over there and get their input.

Maybe one of the other Hams has some input?

* (Ninja Edit - Yaesu has tri-bands, so I'm sure others do as well 50/144/440)
I tilt at Windmills

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:45 am

Thanks for the help Brian.

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:52 am

I don't know what you are up to, but get yourself a satellite communicator. I have an Inreach Explorer (by Delorme) and it will send your GPS location to any phone(s) via text or email addresses, along with a 140 character message. It can be set to send your GPS location regularly, whatever interval you set. so if you disappear, it will have your last known location. Plus it has a panic button that sends your GPS location and emergency signal out immediately to some bombproof bunker in Houston. It is, at $270, cheap insurance. I use one in Africa in some hairy places and it has been extremely useful, both for me and for peace of mind for my wife.

Listening on a radio is one thing, but transmitting out there might get a mortar round dropped on you by either side. But just in case you want to listen to everything, the Kenwood THF6A listens to pretty much everything AM or FM, SSB, narrowband, etc., from 0-1300MHZ, and it will transmit in HAM bands, or opened up, in MARS/CAP/MURS/Marine frequencies (note that these handhelds only transmit on FM only, so no airband.) Search and Rescue (at least in the USA) is at 155.16 MHZ FM, so that is accessible, but as I understand, it is for field operations and may not be monitored regularly. But, anyway, do you speak Russian and/or Ukrainian?

I would find out who might be in a position to help you and get their frequency rather than just hollering to the wind. I don't think US GOV frequencies will help you in such a politically sensitive region.

Good luck!

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:48 am

Roscoe, thanks for the input. I have experience with the DeLorme, the InReach and they ACTUALLY don't tell you a lot about their coverage unless you really push. They have a lot of holes. Some are in Africa and a lot in SE Asia. I have a Sat Phone. Again, not the best option. We have official comms, I wanted something for me J.I.C....redundancy (especially since that redundancy isn't heavy to carry)..... :wink: I have a guy that just completed a job in North Africa and has a Breitag (sp?) watch that, with the twist of the knob, sends out two transmissions, one emergency civilian, and one military.

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:22 pm

I believe InReach uses the Iridium network, so if there are holes in that, the Explorer won't work. It has worked for me all over East Africa, but that is all I have ever tried. I guess I would be surprised if Iridium didn't work in Eastern Europe, but I have certainly never tried.

That Breitling watch costs $15K-$20K - pretty steep! And how strong could the signal be? The battery cannot be that big, nor whatever wire antenna you pull out of it. Any handheld device would be many times stronger. But it would look cool at the bar, I will admit - everyone would think you were a real operator. Even if I could afford it, where I go such a giant piece of gleaming titanium would attract too much attention, even if my inner geek loves the overall idea.

In you shoes I guess I would mod the THF6A or Yaesu VX-7R. Both have pretty wide transmitting abilities when unlocked, and I would get a decent antenna like this:
http://www.americanradiosupply.com/opek ... o-antenna/

Write down every frequency that might work and hope or the best!

Radio guy

Post by Radio guy » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:31 pm

Every country has its communication rules and laws and if you don't have a reciprocal ham license in hand your radio could be confiscated as you enter the country. There might be license free radios in the countries your visiting but I'm not familiar with what has been mentioned.
Radio Guy

springer

Post by springer » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:15 pm

SCBrian wrote:
IANMCDEVITT wrote:I'm headed to the border of Ukraine and Russia and I'm packing a small handi-talkie. I need some advice on some frequencies. What was the one that everyone monitors, 133.something-something-something ? :crazy:
2 Meter calling? 146.5200 ?
I think that the phone 2 meter calling frequency in Asia is 144.5 Mhz

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:58 pm

I'm curious as to who you think you're going to reach out to?

Assuming you can find a frequency that is both used by locals and one that you're able to transmit on, the range of an FT-60 line of sight is no more than a couple of miles at best. Who are you going to call for help that's gonna be that close to you that would be monitoring amateur radio frequencies?

Honestly curious, I don't see a plan here.
John E
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:08 pm

Not many people's idea of a nice relaxing spot to visit!

I've seen eyewitness footage of (para)militaries on both sides of the Donbass situation using cheap Chinese 2m/70cm handhelds, Baofeng / Pofung etc. so (subject to any legal, contractual and language issues) if you take something that can listen in on them (and let you call out if it all goes Pete Tong) you should be OK.

For an example of the kit in use, see the 9th June 2015 entry here:
http://bulava.org.ua/en/

Hopefully your contacts in-country will be able to give you guidance on which channels to listen to, possibly help with set-up, and (more importantly) how to avoid getting on the wrong side of the local factions if they realise you've been listening in on their conversations. You no doubt know more about the realities of this than I do so I'm going to stop now ...
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

IANMCDEVITT3

Post by IANMCDEVITT3 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:13 am

Sheddi, you were right, they all have the little Baofeng, and other Chinese copies. They have little, like 10 inch whip antennas on them that I don't have on mine. They sell the radio here and they are more expensive than we get them for. I'm betting their is no formal "entering the net" procedures here either as someone is always just yelling at someone else it appears. There is a step up though here also. Active ECM and Internet and phone jamming and intercept.

Ike

Post by Ike » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:09 pm

If you have access to a VHF radio 121.5 is guard frequency for A/C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Communications”