Tower question: windfall or boat anchor?

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KYZHunters

Tower question: windfall or boat anchor?

Post by KYZHunters » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:44 am

I was just given a 120' freestanding commercial grade tower for the scrap price...$200. A little research shows that new this thing sells for ~$15K.

Broadband internet sucks in our area and in the past a local company has considered using our property as a site; I am going to try to get them to do the install for rights to the tower and internet for life for me. Sprint cell service is notoriously bad in our area, anyone know anything about dealing with cell companies?

Last question for the hams: what do you do with a 120 of tower? I now have a home for my GMRS repeater and micro-FM station antenna but I've imagined an inverted-V for 160 meters or maybe a fan dipole for 160-6.

So here's the question, do I suck up the install (excavation plus 40-50 yards of concrete) or try to sell it? The other option is to use the top 50-feet and scrap the rest which still leaves me with a nice tower that I can probably install myself vice hiring someone.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

azrancher

Re: Tower question: windfall or boat anchor?

Post by azrancher » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:29 am

KYZHunters wrote:I was just given a 120' freestanding commercial grade tower for the scrap price...$200. A little research shows that new this thing sells for ~$15K.
That's a score, only problem will be putting it up.

Rancher

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:34 am

have you looked into at what height you need to put a light on it?
or what a tower would do to your home owners insurance?
I do not know the answer to either one, but they could impact your decision.

CHUKGLEASON

Post by CHUKGLEASON » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:48 pm

emclean wrote:have you looked into at what height you need to put a light on it?
or what a tower would do to your home owners insurance?
I do not know the answer to either one, but they could impact your decision.
Anything greater than 200 ft. is the standard height for having to be lit, or if it meets certain requirements if it's too close to an airport/airstrip. There are resources online for determining this. Google be your friend.

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:24 pm

KYZHunters wrote:I was just given a 120' freestanding commercial grade tower for the scrap price...$200. A little research shows that new this thing sells for ~$15K.

Broadband internet sucks in our area and in the past a local company has considered using our property as a site; I am going to try to get them to do the install for rights to the tower and internet for life for me. Sprint cell service is notoriously bad in our area, anyone know anything about dealing with cell companies?

Last question for the hams: what do you do with a 120 of tower? I now have a home for my GMRS repeater and micro-FM station antenna but I've imagined an inverted-V for 160 meters or maybe a fan dipole for 160-6.

So here's the question, do I suck up the install (excavation plus 40-50 yards of concrete) or try to sell it? The other option is to use the top 50-feet and scrap the rest which still leaves me with a nice tower that I can probably install myself vice hiring someone.

I can't imagine any commercial entity buying and/or installing a used radio tower from an individual person that was already sold as scrap metal. The potential liability would be enormous.
John E
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

gary in ohio

Post by gary in ohio » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:39 pm

The installation of a tower often cost as much as the tower itself if you have to hire it out. Unless you can find a local ham who does tower work on the side.
120ft is a big tower but could have lots of uses. Things you need to ask yourself, how much to install, what hardware do I need to buy to put it up. Depending on how it was taken down the concrete mounts can be expensive if you can find them for your tower. 120ft is going to take a big hole and LOTS of concrete to keep it up in the air.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:38 am

gary in ohio wrote:The installation of a tower often cost as much as the tower itself if you have to hire it out. Unless you can find a local ham who does tower work on the side.
120ft is a big tower but could have lots of uses. Things you need to ask yourself, how much to install, what hardware do I need to buy to put it up. Depending on how it was taken down the concrete mounts can be expensive if you can find them for your tower. 120ft is going to take a big hole and LOTS of concrete to keep it up in the air.
Gary, the base mounts were left in the previous slab. A little research shows about 40-50 yards (generically) to hold a tower like this upright. Seriously thinking of just scrapping it and keeping the $2-300 I can make on the steel.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:33 pm

You could install just a few sections to get you to 40' or so to act as a support for your HF antennas. Sell the remaining tower sections as scrap.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

ghost792

Post by ghost792 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:38 pm

Or make 3 40' towers out of it.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:44 pm

I'm curious... what was the final result here?

Return to “Communications”