New to Communications

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TabWVK
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later,

New to Communications

Post by TabWVK » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:33 pm

I am new to communications, have the GMRS license sitting for the Amatuer Tech license on Saturday. Any advice? Gear wise I have a Yaesu FT-8800R, a couple of UV-5R's, a diamond MR77, DBJ-1 and a regulated power supply, anything else I am missing, probably, but I'm still new!!!! :-)

KYZHunters

Re: New to Communications

Post by KYZHunters » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:49 pm

Only the 'what now?' that hits a lot of new hams. Get involved with your local club? Work with your local ARES/RACES group? Get involved with CERT or a similar group that always needs communicators?

Too often folks get licensed and either hear nothing on their local repeater or get what they perceive to be the cold shoulder from local hams and get turned off. Sadly, you'll have to meet local hams more than half way, we're kind of an odd bunch; we grew up building crap in our parents' basement for a reason.

Good luck on your test.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:17 pm

Good luck with the test.

I am still new myself and am hoping to take my tech and general on the 22nd. Sounds like you have a good setup. Maybe you might want one of these to add to your set up viewtopic.php?f=42&t=115678 :crazy:
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

TabWVK

Post by TabWVK » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:28 pm

I'm an EMT-I/A, emergency stuff is what I'm used to. ARES/RACES is a definite interest, we don't have a lot of CERT up here, but I am contemplating MARS (I do have to be careful, I'm a single parent, but we offer help where and when we can). :-)

Sailor

Post by Sailor » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:59 pm

I teach a comms class. You sound like you are on the right path.

My advice would be to join Amrron. http://www.amrron.com/

Twice a month they practice national emcomm testing that gets filtered down to 2m, and channel 3 of frs/gmrs/cb/murs for those not licensed. You can check the calendar to see if there is 2m net in your area. Otherwise you can listen on SW SSB for the code word of the week and report in online.

Practicing, sharing information at prescribed times nationally with like minded guys is a good thing.

TabWVK

Post by TabWVK » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:15 pm

:clap: :clap: I passed the Tech! Didn't have the option of taking the general since no one was available to test me out... but they did give me a letter saying i could have a free test later :-) Such amazing people!!!!! :-)

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:18 pm

Congrats on passing your Tech test. :clap:
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:04 pm

Tagged.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:49 am

TabWVK wrote::clap: :clap: I passed the Tech! Didn't have the option of taking the general since no one was available to test me out... but they did give me a letter saying i could have a free test later :-) Such amazing people!!!!! :-)
Congratulations! I'm glad you had a great experience with the VECs; sounds like folks you should stay in touch with now that you're licensed. I'd encourage you to press on to your general class license because of the vastly increased opportunity to find your niche or niches in the radio world.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:59 am

let the fun begin.

If you are shooting for a General, start looking now at HF rigs. Get some operating under your belt before making an investment. See if any clubs members have a loaner you could listen with. HF may not be something that grabs your interest.

Good luck
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Return to “Communications”