Failed the Tech test

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Failed the Tech test

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:52 pm

To be fair, I wasn't trying real hard to pass it. In fact, I didn't really try at all.

I was using it as a way to teach my son. He's 15 and while still a very respectful young man, he has definitely grown a case of "I know better than you."

He agreed to take the test with me as something fun to do. He wanted to just take the practice exams & memorize the questions & answers. I told him that wasn't gonna cut it, but good luck with that. He was bragging about 85-95% repeatedly, while openly admitting he was using this little tool called "Google" to help him like I suggested.

Unbeknownst to him, I didn't prepare at all. Well, I took one practice exam. He took 12, but only because I pushed him to take that many.

We visited the local chapter of ARRL/VEC this morning at 9AM to take the Technician test. I scored 20/35, but you can only get 8 wrong and still pass. I mostly was getting killed on the legalistic / bureaucratic type questions.

My son got precisely one question better than I did - still a dismal failure. So his "cram" method got him precisely roughly a 3% higher grade than 100% unprepared did for me.

$30 to illustrate to my son that him thinking he's all that & a bag of chips compared to my completely unprepared sorry butt: priceless.

He's studying a lot more now. And better understands why geometry was kicking his butt.

Now - I had heard some scuttlebutt that someone was considering selling a flashcard Q&A set for the various licenses. Who's selling? Because I'm buying!
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Failed the Tech test

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:28 pm

If you're not failing, you're not trying in life.

This is a very worthwhile skill to have, ZAG. Have another go at it. You know what you're up against now and I bet you pass on the second try.

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:52 pm

zombieapocalypsegame wrote:Now - I had heard some scuttlebutt that someone was considering selling a flashcard Q&A set for the various licenses. Who's selling? Because I'm buying!
I don't know about selling, but icom has free online flash cards, practice tests, etc., at https://hamstudy.org/tech2014
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

IsotopeGear
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later

Post by IsotopeGear » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:25 pm

I found taking online practice tests helpful also. Just make sure whatever stuff he is using is from the most recent question set, they just changed the questions this Summer.

Some Practice Tests -others via Google

http://www.eham.net/exams/

http://aa9pw.com/radio/

zombieapocalypsegame
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:20 pm

Very cool on the online flash cards. I'm already making use of those, and I'm sure my son will too.

It was very interesting to see my son's reaction to having spent $15 on something he failed at. Very different from his reaction to a bad grade in Geometry, which costs him nothing. Far more serious perspective from him when there's money at stake, even if it was mine not his. It was equally interesting to see he understood quite plainly that his method of preparation was only marginally better than mine. Best $30 I've spent in a long while. :)

We're zeroing in on the test in early February, but depending on how well prepared my son is, we can hit one two weeks from now as well.
Zombie Apocalypse Games

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:00 am

Well shit, that's exactly how I've been studying, except for the google part. :lol: I use flashcards quite a bit and I do have the ARRL study guide, I just left it back at school after I finished it. My test is tomorrow. :ohdear:

EDIT: I passed! With a 93%.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

zombieapocalypsegame
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:34 pm

Yeah, the online flashcard method supplemented by practice tests is the route I'm going. Congrats on passing the Tech test!
Zombie Apocalypse Games

AlphaKilo47
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, World War Z, Dead Snow, 28 Weeks Later, Re-Animator, Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, Resident Evil

Post by AlphaKilo47 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Shiloh wrote:Well shit, that's exactly how I've been studying, except for the google part. :lol: I use flashcards quite a bit and I do have the ARRL study guide, I just left it back at school after I finished it. My test is tomorrow. :ohdear:

EDIT: I passed! With a 93%.
Congrats and welcome to the wide world of Amateur Radio! I went on and got my General (opens up a lot more bands) and I only passed by one! Hey, a pass is a pass...

Mike :mrgreen:
"I'm your Huckleberry"
CERT member
Skywarn
General Class Amateur Radio Operator - KD8WWZ
Student of Self Sufficiency and AK Aficionado

“an elderly camper realizes, with heart-skipping dismay, that during his afternoon bowel movement, he is unwittingly shitting on a zombie.”
― Robert Kirkman, The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury

Slugg
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Book of Eli
The Colony(TV Series)
I am Legend
28 series
Resident Evil series
Dawn of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Slugg » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:42 am

I just took multiple practice tests and passed my first try. I did way more than 12 though. I worked 5 days a week at the time and did at least one a day at work for a few months. By the time I took the test I rarely finished the questions, the first 5 words and I was already looking for the answers.
The future is for those who prepare.

AlphaKilo47
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, World War Z, Dead Snow, 28 Weeks Later, Re-Animator, Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, Resident Evil

Post by AlphaKilo47 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:57 am

Slugg wrote:I just took multiple practice tests and passed my first try. I did way more than 12 though. I worked 5 days a week at the time and did at least one a day at work for a few months. By the time I took the test I rarely finished the questions, the first 5 words and I was already looking for the answers.

Way to go Slugg! I did really well on my Technicians license but not so well on my General. I guess I was just too distracted, it was the middle of summer and things were really busy on our small farm. When I was talking to one of the VEs after and was beating myself up for such a poor showing, he said "You passed, didn't you?". :D

"I'm your Huckleberry"
CERT member
Skywarn

“an elderly camper realizes, with heart-skipping dismay, that during his afternoon bowel movement, he is unwittingly shitting on a zombie.”

Slugg
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Book of Eli
The Colony(TV Series)
I am Legend
28 series
Resident Evil series
Dawn of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Slugg » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:26 am

My technique of studying did great to get the license, but I literally had no idea how to use a radio and what I can and cannot do with it. Still don't really know anything other than how to use my baofeng and that I want a few more for the wife and kids. Once she gets her tech we will hopefully will do some hog hunting down here together.
The future is for those who prepare.

AlphaKilo47

Post by AlphaKilo47 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:42 am

The important thing is that you know how to use your equipment. The rest will come as you get on the air and get some practical experience. Don't let anyone shit you about the Baofeng, they are great little cheap radios that work great for what they are. I think that is a very good idea to get the rest of the family "radio active", besides being a fun family activity it can really be helpful in an emergency when there is no other way to communicate.

"I'm your Huckleberry"
CERT member
Skywarn

Return to “Communications”